What is your worst law school finals experience?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
General Tso

Re: What is your worst law school finals experience?

Postby General Tso » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:00 pm

missinglink wrote:I got Massey next semester. Should I be worried?

I heard he is hard, both in class and on exams. Kind of a jerk about cold calling.

Funny that there are so many Hastings people in the "worst law school finals experience" thread :lol: I actually havent had any terrible experiences though. (knock on wood)

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Wow, I'm shocked that y'all's schools don't stop the exam clocks for computer problems. At UVA, they stop the exam time as soon as you go to the IT table.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:04 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Wow, I'm shocked that y'all's schools don't stop the exam clocks for computer problems. At UVA, they stop the exam time as soon as you go to the IT table.

They leave it up to the professors sometimes. Almost all the professors say that you get the extra time. But I've seen one that just said "tough luck" because he missed out on 10 minutes, and not an "excessive" amount of time.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Ours absolutely doesn't stop the clock. Its pretty sad that a person's grade could be based on a computer problem, losing 15 mins resolving it and thus resulting in both panic and not being able to answer in a way that you could have given the time.

nickwar

Postby nickwar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Had a visiting professor who didn't give a shit. Gave us 20-minute lectures all semester (a large chunk for which he just didn't show up), which translated into a roughly 45 minute test that everyone got right. People sat there looking at each other as if something was wrong about 50 minutes into the test.

I must have missed something. I got a C.

My other grades (this was 1L):
A
A-
A-
B+

Fuck that class.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:38 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Wow, I'm shocked that y'all's schools don't stop the exam clocks for computer problems. At UVA, they stop the exam time as soon as you go to the IT table.

Pretty sure you're SOL here. One professor said to me, "If your computer messes up, start writing and don't look back."

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 pm

MBZags wrote:

Pretty sure you're SOL here. One professor said to me, "If your computer messes up, start writing and don't look back."

That's disappointing that some many schools have this attitude. $40k/year should be enough to pause your exam for computer issues.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:47 pm

Our professors told us ahead of time to bring bluebooks in case of computer disaster.

We've had a laptop fall off a table during the exam in all three we've had so far. I'd hate to be that person. Each time it has managed to be caught by another student or nothing too bad happened, but it was still so stressful every time, and it wasn't even my computer.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
MBZags wrote:

That's disappointing that some many schools have this attitude. $40k/year should be enough to pause your exam for computer issues.

The dean could come up and kick a student in the face and the student would still gladly hand over $40k/year.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:17 pm

General Tso wrote:

I heard he is hard, both in class and on exams. Kind of a jerk about cold calling.

Funny that there are so many Hastings people in the "worst law school finals experience" thread :lol: I actually havent had any terrible experiences though. (knock on wood)

PANIC NAOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

no, idk, con law is hard no matter what. Wait is Massey the one that a student had a "conflict" with and transferred out? GeneralTso, you know who I mean no?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:13 am

mnolen wrote:
General Tso wrote:

PANIC NAOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

no, idk, con law is hard no matter what. Wait is Massey the one that a student had a "conflict" with and transferred out? GeneralTso, you know who I mean no?

Lotta Hastings people on this thread. :lol:

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:25 am

Caught what I thought was a cold 3 days before first final. Turned into strep the next day.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:37 am

zeth006 wrote:
mnolen wrote:
General Tso wrote:

PANIC NAOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Shouldn't we be studying or something?

I've got my K's final tomorrow. 3 1/2 hours, 2 fact patterns, 90 minutes each.

If old tests are any indication, about 9 issues each. I'll probably be back in this thread tomorrow. 8)

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:44 am

missinglink wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

Shouldn't we be studying or something?

I've got my K's final tomorrow. 3 1/2 hours, 2 fact patterns, 90 minutes each.

If old tests are any indication, about 9 issues each. I'll probably be back in this thread tomorrow. 8)

Trying. I'm trying. :(

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:52 am

Hastings represeeeeeeent

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:03 am

Civ Pro today. Good thing there is a bar around the corner from school...you know I was there about 5 minutes after time was called. Beer and tequila shots cured any feelings of despair...yay for booze.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:13 am

Not a terrible experience, but wasn't fun: 5 question civ pro exam with recommended time limits (and amount of points distributed accordingly), I finish questions 1 and 2 right on the recommended time. Get to question three with 3 sub-questions, it's issue preclusion which was my favorite subject, so I absolutely hammer the analysis and finish 5 minutes early. Flip the page to go to question 4 and what do I get . . . 3 more sub-questions for the issue preclusion fact pattern, which were more complex than the first three sub-questions. I freaked out, and then freaked out about how freaking out is the worst thing you can do on an exam. I ignored them and went on to questions 4&5, gave a very rushed (and probably pretty poor) analysis and went back to try and handle the three sub-questions I skipped in the last 30 minutes. I finished typing with about 8 seconds left, and looked over my answers super fast. That 40 minute issue preclusion question took up about 70 minutes and 10 of the 23 pages.

TL;DR hidden questions are not cool.

Postby 12262010 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:40 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Civ Pro today. Good thing there is a bar around the corner from school...you know I was there about 5 minutes after time was called. Beer and tequila shots cured any feelings of despair...yay for booze.

Too bad you didn't drunk TLS again...

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 pm

booyakasha wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Civ Pro today. Good thing there is a bar around the corner from school...you know I was there about 5 minutes after time was called. Beer and tequila shots cured any feelings of despair...yay for booze.

Too bad you didn't drunk TLS again...

Next time, booya, don't worry. HAHA

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
MBZags wrote:

Hmm I think they said at our school all you have to do is raise your hand and they'll come give you blue books and someone from the records office will come to you to get your computer and do whatever they have to do to fix it. You can write while they're working on it and they'll bring it back when they're done, and they'll reconstruct the computer/blue book pieces of your exam. (You can choose to retype the part you wrote or not, up to you.)

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:55 pm

mmmadeli wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
MBZags wrote:

Hmm I think they said at our school all you have to do is raise your hand and they'll come give you blue books and someone from the records office will come to you to get your computer and do whatever they have to do to fix it. You can write while they're working on it and they'll bring it back when they're done, and they'll reconstruct the computer/blue book pieces of your exam. (You can choose to retype the part you wrote or not, up to you.)

Y'all have proctors too?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Not my worst, but definitely most hilarious exam experience:

Our school banned the "copy and paste" function as a violation of the honor code. Cut and paste is permitted.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Getting stomach cramps 30 minutes in to a 4 hour exam

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:28 am

I didn't realize that when there are multiple questions on the exam, ExamSoft has a function where you arrow from question 1, 2, 3, etc. I just put my entire exam on the space for question 1, indicating which question I was answering. I found out I goofed after the exam but before I closed it, and the proctor said it was fine and that it would be fixed when it was printed for grading.

So no harm done, but man did I feel silly. I CAN'T imagine I'm the first to do this, though.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:32 am

traehekat wrote:I didn't realize that when there are multiple questions on the exam, ExamSoft has a function where you arrow from question 1, 2, 3, etc. I just put my entire exam on the space for question 1, indicating which question I was answering. I found out I goofed after the exam but before I closed it, and the proctor said it was fine and that it would be fixed when it was printed for grading.

So no harm done, but man did I feel silly. I CAN'T imagine I'm the first to do this, though.

I knew about that and I still answer my questions that way. The records office is just going to print them off, and it looks roughly the same either way as long as you number them like you said.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”