Hey Property

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Hey Property

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Go fuck yourself with a splintery broomstick.

And no lube.

joobacca

Re: Hey Property

Postby joobacca » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:48 pm

i don't know if you have the time at this point, but have you checked out the barbri video? the lady is a bit crazy but gives some useful tips. understanding property is awesome. i basically taught myself the class by reading that book (which took 3 or 4 days, but almost a full day was figuring out future interests and RAP). i can give you the notes of the barbri video. i guess the most helpful part would be the mnemonics in there (assuming your property exam is closed book). and i also have notes from reading the understanding book.

anyway, i actually really liked property simply because i thought it was useful stuff to know. otherwise, it's pretty mechanical.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:51 pm

I've always been awful at rote classification of shit down to the nth degree. All the stuff in science about kingdom and phylum? Never got it.

I understand what future interests are and I know the different types, but making them all work together and pulling the out of my butt come exam time?

I'll be happy to get a C in Property.

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:56 pm

ok, i can get that. i'm trying to think what might be good. maybe a checklist type of thing?

for me, i just memorized it. but i am good at memorization and not so good at analysis. in fact, i think i just remember analysis that other folks write in model answers and spit those out.

anyway, i think a checklist might help since a lot of times something is A simply because it's not B. i don't know... it reminded me of the lsat logic game section a little bit.

don't underestimate how hard RAP can be btw. i doubt it'll be a big part of your exam, unless your prof is a dick. but i thought i knew RAP and thought it was easy. then the day before the exams i checked out some RAP questions and realized that i didn't know RAP. any RAP question should be a freebie. just spend a day on RAP and you should be good

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:58 pm

We spent two weeks on RAP. There will be lots of RAP questions.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:13 pm

kalvano wrote:We spent two weeks on RAP. There will be lots of RAP questions.

That sucks. Our professor told us that as long as we can recognize the Perpetuities problem in the Klamath Falls case, that's all we need to know.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm

So... Did I just luck out in getting a professor that never even discussed RAP or Future Interests not one time in the course? (Boo, I can't use TLS for property law prospective because it seems like our prof skipped all of the really crazy stuff) Of course, takings/eminent domain was about 1/3rds of the course with easements taking up the other 2/3rds.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Melkaba wrote:So... Did I just luck out in getting a professor that never even discussed RAP or Future Interests not one time in the course?

Yes. 1000000000000000X times yes.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:26 pm

kalvano wrote:Go fuck yourself with a splintery broomstick.

And no lube.

Would lube help in this situation?

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:29 pm

well, then you have to work out the kinks of RAP, which is going to be a absolute bitch. also, i think it's dangerous to think of future interests as its own separate thing, or underestimate the importance of future interests. future interests, as far as i could tell, affected everything that we learned in property. and my professor went over future interests, including RAP, in half of a class. but his exam definitely demanded a clear understanding. and if you have a good understanding of future interests and policies, then you can figure out the rules and connections much faster (and maybe in a context that you haven't seen/for which you have not prepared).

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Listen to this shit

1/3rd of class on "What Property is"
2 Days on Future Interests
1 on RAP
1 day on Covenants
No landlord-tenant

stupid.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:22 am

stinger35 wrote:Listen to this shit

1/3rd 1/2 of class on "What Property is"
1 on RAP
1 day on Covenants
No landlord-tenant

stupid.

Finder, intervivos, and bailment

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:34 pm

1 on RAP
1 day on Covenants
No landlord-tenant

stupid.

you can learn the rules on your own, quit bitching

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Borhas wrote:

1 on RAP
1 day on Covenants
No landlord-tenant

stupid.

you can learn the rules on your own, quit bitching

So nice of you to drop by, quintessential online dickhead.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:16 pm

stinger35 wrote:So nice of you to drop by, quintessential online dickhead.

sure thing :mrgreen:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:10 pm

I fucking loathe my Property teacher.

Closed book / closed note.
20 multiple guess.
6 short answer.
2 short essay.

2 hours.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:45 am

I have property exam at 1:00 today. Closed book, closed note, 3 hours, 4 long essay question, followed by a short answer section.

Course topics include:
Finders
Gifts
Bailments
Adverse Possession
Estates and Future Interests (including concurrent estates and leasehold/landlord-tenant estates)

Didn't cover easements or servitudes. Spent maybe a day or two on RAP, I still don't have much more than a basic understanding of it. Most of our class time was dedicated to the professor telling random, yet entertaining, stories that had no relation to the material at all.

omnomnom

Postby omnomnom » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Hypothetical: If I shoot a Fox, do I get to keep it?

DELETED

omnomnom

Postby omnomnom » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Actually, for those of you who have had RAP and Leaseholds, something has been bothering me. Is it possible to create a leasehold that violates RAP? Consider the following lease: T leases from O for a term of 20 years. The lease has a clause that says "after the term expires, T may continue to lease at-will, until a Democrat takes the office of President, then B shall take over the lease as an at-will tenant."

Does this mean B has a contingent remainder not certain to vest within 21 years of a life in being? OR am I classifying B's interest incorrectly, because the leasehold gives O and B privity of estate (aka, B isn't really a third party)?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”