Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
evilxs

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby evilxs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Lots of responses.

I took courses over the summer pre-1L, so not my first law exams. I am confident because I studied hard. I read the questions and without hesitation knew the answers. Got through the multiple choice and started on the essay. There were red hearings, there were not so obvious traps, and I am very confident of my issue spotting and analysis.

No need for so much hating, this just happens to be an easier class for me. I know when I walk out of my civil procedure exam that I won't have a clue how I did until grades come out. For this one I know I rocked it, and that's a great feeling. I typed from get to go and wasn't sitting there like a ton of folks were staring at their computer wishing they had memorized all of the assigned MPC. We had a closed book and note exam and that will help the curve out for me a ton. 8)

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote: TITCR - generally, how you feel about your exam and your resulting grade is an inverse relationship.

Not necessarily, but I did find it impossible to predict grades 1L year, and my grades were literally all over the map from top 5% to bottom quarter.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:27 pm

It's invigorating, and that's nice. I really wonder why I haven't had this kind of energy all year, and I hope I can keep up the steam next semester and maybe even stay ahead of the game...

On the downside, as "accomplishing" as it feels to put a course together in your head, there is that sense of dread knowing that regardless of how much "fun" you had putting the law together and working hard for the last two weeks... a single, subjective judgment by a professor on a certain part of a certain answer you gave could ultimately be the factor between an A- and a B+ for an entire semesters work. Furthermore that difference in all likelihood will be the reason you are turned down for a summer job for at least one of the positions you really wanted to get.

I know that's pessimistic thinking, but if I don't wonder about it now I know I will be when I don't that call back and my friend who did slightly better does.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:27 am

Last edited by XxSpyKEx on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:15 am

OGR3 wrote:Law school exams are like 3 hour puzzles. If you make a decent outline and in the process internalize as much as you can, it can be really fun to sit down and dissect the problem.

Though my tort professor is going to have multiple choice, matching, and fill-in-the-blanks, so that will be a big waste of time.

yeah but "internalizing" and "make a decent outline" all really suck

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:22 am

Fuck outlining and fuck exams. Nothing about this hell is fun.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Sogui wrote: a single, subjective judgment by a professor on a certain part of a certain answer you gave could ultimately be the factor between an A- and a B+ for an entire semesters work. Furthermore that difference in all likelihood will be the reason you are turned down for a summer job for at least one of the positions you really wanted to get.

I know that's pessimistic thinking, but if I don't wonder about it now I know I will be when I don't that call back and my friend who did slightly better does.

Eh you can't let things you don't control bother you.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:02 pm

Sogui wrote: a single, subjective judgment by a professor on a certain part of a certain answer you gave could ultimately be the factor between an A- and a B+ for an entire semesters work. Furthermore that difference in all likelihood will be the reason you are turned down for a summer job for at least one of the positions you really wanted to get.

On top of that, a professor might just plain screw up your grade and you may never know it. First semester of 1L my legal writing grade changed from a C+ to a B. The professor gave me the wrong person's points. I personally didn't even know it had happened. The prof checked herself because she knew me really well and just couldn't believe I got one of the lowest grades in the class.

Second semester of 1L I had one of my grades change from a B+ to best paper. The professor apparently added up my points incorrectly. Only reason I found out was because he actually tallied all the points on the paper, and when I went for exam review and added them up, the number on the front didn't match the tallied number. BTW that exam was one that I was sure I did terribly on...I was actually really happy and shocked that I ended up with a B+. That one grade took me from just outside the top 1/3 to just inside the top 25%...so moral of the story is, take advantage of exam review.

You 1L's need to go sit down somewhere talking about you "dominated" an exam. The fact of the matter is, you dont know, and you won't know until grades come out. You're graded against your peers, and there is always someone who sees something a bit differently than you saw it. All you can hope to do is come out of each exam with the feeling that you prepared yourself as best you could.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:10 pm

DIAF

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 pm

BriaTharen wrote:DIAF

*nods*

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

On top of that, a professor might just plain screw up your grade and you may never know it. First semester of 1L my legal writing grade changed from a C+ to a B. The professor gave me the wrong person's points. I personally didn't even know it had happened. The prof checked herself because she knew me really well and just couldn't believe I got one of the lowest grades in the class.

Second semester of 1L I had one of my grades change from a B+ to best paper. The professor apparently added up my points incorrectly. Only reason I found out was because he actually tallied all the points on the paper, and when I went for exam review and added them up, the number on the front didn't match the tallied number.

That's nuts. I've always been ultra-paranoid about stuff like this happening to me.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:17 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Second semester of 1L I had one of my grades change from a B+ to best paper. The professor apparently added up my points incorrectly. Only reason I found out was because he actually tallied all the points on the paper, and when I went for exam review and added them up, the number on the front didn't match the tallied number.

That's nuts. I've always been ultra-paranoid about stuff like this happening to me.

2 gigantic mistakes in the same year? that's fuckin insane. i was kind of planning on walking through all my exams with my profs anyway, but now i'm definitely convinced i'm going to do this.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:36 pm

dailygrind wrote:
2 gigantic mistakes in the same year? that's fuckin insane. i was kind of planning on walking through all my exams with my profs anyway, but now i'm definitely convinced i'm going to do this.

And that's just the stuff that got noticed. Most of my professors didn't actually write anything on the exam, not even your total points, so there is really no way to tell if they screwed up. I'm sure that isn't the only grade I got that is higher or lower than it should have been. If you go in for a line by line review with the prof, unless there is just an egregious error, they generally aren't gonna change anything either.

That's the thing about law school exams, so many variables you just can't account for. I've said this before, and I really believe it; in every class there are 5 or 6 people that legitimately compete for the top grades every single time. After that, there's those of us that are at the mercy of the curve and a bunch of other factors beyond our control. That group has some differentiation in it too, I mean most people will never see an A on their transcript...that's jut facts. I was lucky enough to be in the group that got some A's, but that didn't stop me from getting median or below grades as well.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:42 pm

JOThompson wrote:
evilxs wrote:I am actually enjoying finals.

I have busted my ass. Looking at all of the freaked out scared students around me is so comforting.

When you study this hard, the reward is walking into a final and dominating it. This morning was awesome.

Personally, I'd rather finish the exam with a little lingering anxiety. Walking out of the room with confidence means that I neglected to spot some issues.

Every time I think I did well, I do bad. If I cry, I usually get an A or book the class. lol.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:53 am

I'm hoping I won't shit my pants during exams this semester.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:DIAF

*nods*

Cry more n00bz, I just totally out-gunned your face on my civ pro final. I was so good, I bet the professor sheds a tear and lets me teach next semester instead.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, civ pro wrecked me but I'm not sweating it because it wrecked everyone else too. Shit happens, then you party naked.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Fuck outlining and fuck exams. Nothing about this hell is fun.

I was absolutely livid halfway through my civ pro multiple choice that I'd have to spend any more time looking at this shit that I almost walked out to save myself an hour of absolute fury.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Every time I read the title of this tread

A) I'm reminded that I post here
B) I think of someone with a really annoying, whiny voice saying "Anyone else actually enjoying finals?"
C) I become extremely pissed

kcg171

Postby kcg171 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Every time I read the title of this tread

B) I think of someone with a really annoying, whiny voice saying "Anyone else actually enjoying finals?"

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:56 pm

How's Stanford man? Oh yeah... I don't care, just like with 99% of your posts ;)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Fuck outlining and fuck exams. Nothing about this hell is fun.

I was absolutely livid halfway through my civ pro multiple choice that I'd have to spend any more time looking at this shit that I almost walked out to save myself an hour of absolute fury.

There was a point during civpro when I thought to myself "Wow. I'm paying for this. I'm paying a lot of fucking money for this." And then I went back to pondering complaint standards before I lost it and my brain exploded.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:32 pm

savagedm wrote:

How's Stanford man? Oh yeah... I don't care, just like with 99% of your posts ;)

New York UniversiTTTy

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
savagedm wrote:

New York UniversiTTTy

You think I would forget after watching the Skadden secure debacle?

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:30 pm

You know what sucks? When you're a 2L and they no longer structure your exams so that they're all spaced apart neatly. I had one exam this week and three next. The next four days of my life are going to be BRUTAL. Doesn't help that one of those exams is on a subject that I truly do not understand.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:08 am

I know what you mean. Also, 2L subjects are more difficult to learn than most 1L subjects (at least the non-seminars). And I'm more behind. And there are fewer good outlines available.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”