Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby savagedm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:44 am

crEEp wrote:
onthecusp wrote:Law school grades aren't everything, except for the key determinant for plotting the course of your professional career, and therefore, you're life. Eff grades, the guy who finishes ranked last in the class is still a lawyer.....

Yeah, I've heard that before..... blow me.


I feel terrible for the people who let their career define them. Okay, maybe you won't get that super cool professorship after rocking a solid-C 1L year. But you know what? You'll be fine. I think it makes more sense to try to set yourself apart from your classmates to make yourself more marketable within a particular legal niche. It's the people who said "oh i dunno, i just love the law" when asked why they chose to attend law school who need to worry, regardless of their grades.


agreed. The market is shit, Biglaw (discovery, paperwork, etc.) is going to India... why worry so much for opportunities that are flying to a substantially cheaper locale?

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby onthecusp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:43 am

crEEp wrote:
onthecusp wrote:Law school grades aren't everything, except for the key determinant for plotting the course of your professional career, and therefore, you're life. Eff grades, the guy who finishes ranked last in the class is still a lawyer.....

Yeah, I've heard that before..... blow me.


I feel terrible for the people who let their career define them. Okay, maybe you won't get that super cool professorship after rocking a solid-C 1L year. But you know what? You'll be fine. I think it makes more sense to try to set yourself apart from your classmates to make yourself more marketable within a particular legal niche. It's the people who said "oh i dunno, i just love the law" when asked why they chose to attend law school who need to worry, regardless of their grades.


I certainly understand what you said, and maybe it's just finals getting to me, but my main point was good grades will make things a whole lot easier. Of course we'll be fine no matter what happens. We're all smart people, we're good problem solvers, we'll figure it out. It's just the knowledge that these next two weeks will drastically affect the tenor of my legal career for the rest of my life that has me all in a heap. And if I end up somewhere near median (or below), I"m not going to jump off a bridge; I promise.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby savagedm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:37 pm

onthecusp wrote:
crEEp wrote:
onthecusp wrote:Law school grades aren't everything, except for the key determinant for plotting the course of your professional career, and therefore, you're life. Eff grades, the guy who finishes ranked last in the class is still a lawyer.....

Yeah, I've heard that before..... blow me.


I feel terrible for the people who let their career define them. Okay, maybe you won't get that super cool professorship after rocking a solid-C 1L year. But you know what? You'll be fine. I think it makes more sense to try to set yourself apart from your classmates to make yourself more marketable within a particular legal niche. It's the people who said "oh i dunno, i just love the law" when asked why they chose to attend law school who need to worry, regardless of their grades.


I certainly understand what you said, and maybe it's just finals getting to me, but my main point was good grades will make things a whole lot easier. Of course we'll be fine no matter what happens. We're all smart people, we're good problem solvers, we'll figure it out. It's just the knowledge that these next two weeks will drastically affect the tenor of my legal career for the rest of my life that has me all in a heap. And if I end up somewhere near median (or below), I"m not going to jump off a bridge; I promise.


Honestly, I've found you work MUCH better if you force that thought out of your mind until AFTER you relinquish all control of the outcome. At that point, it doesn't matter, but you won't perform as well if you are constantly thinking about the gravity of these exams. While I appreciate how much they will affect me, I'm not allowing myself to think about it these next two weeks.

It's just like a general in a war... yeah, he's ultimately concerned with the overall outcome, but he's going to lose 10 times out of 10 if he obsesses over winning and forgets to focus on the single missions.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 pm

So I had my first final today, and even though my professor is new at my school this year, she said we should look to another professor's past tests to get an idea of how hers would be structured. After taking two of the past tests and seeing this one, it was almost identical to the other professor's. Yeah, a different fact pattern, but the end goal was the same. It was like hitting the law school jackpot.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby savagedm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:18 pm

OGR3 wrote:So I had my first final today, and even though my professor is new at my school this year, she said we should look to another professor's past tests to get an idea of how hers would be structured. After taking two of the past tests and seeing this one, it was almost identical to the other professor's. Yeah, a different fact pattern, but the end goal was the same. It was like hitting the law school jackpot.



Image

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 pm

solidsnake wrote:im going to get a lot of shit for this -- but i actually really enjoy finals. it's the 2-3x a year where it is totally socially acceptable to stay in your apt, not shower, lie in bed reading and outlining for 12-14 hrs a day while eating chinese delivery, drink a shitload of dietcoke/redbull during a 4hr adrenaline rush, get shitfaced that night, and then rinse and repeat for 2 wks.



I dunno about the showering part! =)

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:24 pm

I only have one more final, and I will be done. I love finals week because it means I get to rest from a month, although I have to work full time during the holidays, but at least after that I get to go home and rest.

I just took my Evidence final. I dunno how to feel. Those questions were very tricky

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby clintonius » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:30 pm

I am so fucked in contracts. So very, very fucked.

So no, I'm not enjoying finals, fuckyouverymuch.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 pm

crEEp wrote:
onthecusp wrote:Law school grades aren't everything, except for the key determinant for plotting the course of your professional career, and therefore, you're life. Eff grades, the guy who finishes ranked last in the class is still a lawyer.....

Yeah, I've heard that before..... blow me.


I feel terrible for the people who let their career define them. Okay, maybe you won't get that super cool professorship after rocking a solid-C 1L year. But you know what? You'll be fine. I think it makes more sense to try to set yourself apart from your classmates to make yourself more marketable within a particular legal niche. It's the people who said "oh i dunno, i just love the law" when asked why they chose to attend law school who need to worry, regardless of their grades.



Look, after having gone through the whole job thing and having gone through half of my law school journey, allowing your grades to determine the rest of your life is just sad. I got a very very very bad grade my second semester of law school. My GPA went down a ton. I got over it. I moved on. I got a paid job. I am still doing good in law school, and life goes on. Granted, you have to worry about grades, but the truth is that doing good in law school is many times outside your control.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby savagedm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:37 pm

clintonius wrote:I am so fucked in contracts. So very, very fucked.

So no, I'm not enjoying finals, fuckyouverymuch.


You do realize 90% of your class is thinking the same thing? You know what the other 10% are thinking? "Hah, they think they are fucked, they don't realize none of us really know this crap 100%, I'm just gonna focus on studying and let everyone else freak out."

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:39 pm

savagedm wrote:
clintonius wrote:I am so fucked in contracts. So very, very fucked.

So no, I'm not enjoying finals, fuckyouverymuch.


You do realize 90% of your class is thinking the same thing? You know what the other 10% are thinking? "Hah, they think they are fucked, they don't realize none of us really know this crap 100%, I'm just gonna focus on studying and let everyone else freak out."


Watching people lose their shit is probably my favorite part about finals.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby los blancos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:40 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
crEEp wrote:
onthecusp wrote:Law school grades aren't everything, except for the key determinant for plotting the course of your professional career, and therefore, you're life. Eff grades, the guy who finishes ranked last in the class is still a lawyer.....

Yeah, I've heard that before..... blow me.


I feel terrible for the people who let their career define them. Okay, maybe you won't get that super cool professorship after rocking a solid-C 1L year. But you know what? You'll be fine. I think it makes more sense to try to set yourself apart from your classmates to make yourself more marketable within a particular legal niche. It's the people who said "oh i dunno, i just love the law" when asked why they chose to attend law school who need to worry, regardless of their grades.



Look, after having gone through the whole job thing and having gone through half of my law school journey, allowing your grades to determine the rest of your life is just sad. I got a very very very bad grade my second semester of law school. My GPA went down a ton. I got over it. I moved on. I got a paid job. I am still doing good in law school, and life goes on. Granted, you have to worry about grades, but the truth is that doing good in law school is many times outside your control.



TIT mother effing CR

(IMO)

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby los blancos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:40 pm

OGR3 wrote:
savagedm wrote:
clintonius wrote:I am so fucked in contracts. So very, very fucked.

So no, I'm not enjoying finals, fuckyouverymuch.


You do realize 90% of your class is thinking the same thing? You know what the other 10% are thinking? "Hah, they think they are fucked, they don't realize none of us really know this crap 100%, I'm just gonna focus on studying and let everyone else freak out."


Watching people lose their shit is probably my favorite part about finals.



It is just at my school where people don't seem to care?

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby JOThompson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Yep, it's satisfying to finally see the material coalesce. Throughout the semester, I hated school because I didn't fully understand the material, due in part to my density and professors who just don't give a shit about teaching.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:44 pm

missinglink wrote:
onthecusp wrote:
savagedm wrote:Ok, so I know I'm probably in the minority in this one, but having already taken crim law over the summer and spending most of the semester learning how to write an exam answer, I actually feel really excited for the next couple weeks. Is there anyone else there who is also relieved we are finally doing something akin to what we came to school to do in the first place? I know I can't be alone here!


Fuck you...in the face.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:47 pm

los blancos wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
savagedm wrote:
clintonius wrote:I am so fucked in contracts. So very, very fucked.

So no, I'm not enjoying finals, fuckyouverymuch.


You do realize 90% of your class is thinking the same thing? You know what the other 10% are thinking? "Hah, they think they are fucked, they don't realize none of us really know this crap 100%, I'm just gonna focus on studying and let everyone else freak out."


Watching people lose their shit is probably my favorite part about finals.



It is just at my school where people don't seem to care?



I'm usually on the group of people who freak out. Only, that I do it alone at my house at 3 a.m. when I realize I need another cup of coffee if I want to be able to take 50 more hearsay questions. I hope I did not screw up this semester.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 pm

los blancos wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
savagedm wrote:
clintonius wrote:I am so fucked in contracts. So very, very fucked.

So no, I'm not enjoying finals, fuckyouverymuch.


You do realize 90% of your class is thinking the same thing? You know what the other 10% are thinking? "Hah, they think they are fucked, they don't realize none of us really know this crap 100%, I'm just gonna focus on studying and let everyone else freak out."


Watching people lose their shit is probably my favorite part about finals.



It is just at my school where people don't seem to care?


I think one's employment prospects are significantly higher at Duke than Pitt, so that might play into it somewhat....

Nark
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby Nark » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:38 pm

OGR3 wrote:Watching people lose their shit is probably my favorite part about finals.

Eh, tell them to calm down. It doesn't really matter how well they do, there are no jobs for any of us.

2L at your school, LR, big whiff at OCI. I heard rumors that some people had success, so don't take my word as gospel.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Nark wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Watching people lose their shit is probably my favorite part about finals.

Eh, tell them to calm down. It doesn't really matter how well they do, there are no jobs for any of us.

2L at your school, LR, big whiff at OCI. I heard rumors that some people had success, so don't take my word as gospel.


Trust me, I've tried. People started freaking out about a month in, and although I tried to talk them down, I don't think anyone listened. Now I just sit back and watch the circus.

Nark
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby Nark » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:47 pm

I hear ya. I also didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer with my post, I just hate to see people freaking out over this whole thing. Study hard, stay relaxed during the exam, spot every issue you can, analyze to death (I guess that doesn't jive with the whole "relax" bit, but there's a happy medium), and hope for the best.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Nark wrote:I hear ya. I also didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer with my post, I just hate to see people freaking out over this whole thing. Study hard, stay relaxed during the exam, spot every issue you can, analyze to death (I guess that doesn't jive with the whole "relax" bit, but there's a happy medium), and hope for the best.


I understand. While this probably isn't fun for a lot of my classmates, if you freak out, that can only hurt you. I guess I can always look forward to break, when hopefully many of my friends return to the more laid back versions they were when school started, or they'll be stressing about their performance on the past exams all break....

User avatar
evilxs
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby evilxs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:10 pm

I am actually enjoying finals.

I have busted my ass. Looking at all of the freaked out scared students around me is so comforting.

When you study this hard, the reward is walking into a final and dominating it. This morning was awesome.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby JOThompson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:36 pm

evilxs wrote:I am actually enjoying finals.

I have busted my ass. Looking at all of the freaked out scared students around me is so comforting.

When you study this hard, the reward is walking into a final and dominating it. This morning was awesome.

Personally, I'd rather finish the exam with a little lingering anxiety. Walking out of the room with confidence means that I neglected to spot some issues.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:36 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
evilxs wrote:I am actually enjoying finals.

I have busted my ass. Looking at all of the freaked out scared students around me is so comforting.

When you study this hard, the reward is walking into a final and dominating it. This morning was awesome.


You won't know until you get grades hth


TITCR - generally, how you feel about your exam and your resulting grade is an inverse relationship.

User avatar
crEEp
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby crEEp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:40 pm

I treat grades like poker... you have something like 90 credits in the end, right? Who cares if several of those are C's...you're trying to shoot for overall ++++++++++EV, not individual results. Unless of course you're some gunner d-bag, in which case, kindly,
GET THE FUCK OUT




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chardee_MacDennis and 4 guests