Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
savagedm

Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby savagedm » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:02 am

Ok, so I know I'm probably in the minority in this one, but having already taken crim law over the summer and spending most of the semester learning how to write an exam answer, I actually feel really excited for the next couple weeks. Is there anyone else there who is also relieved we are finally doing something akin to what we came to school to do in the first place? I know I can't be alone here!

solidsnake

Re: Anyone else actually enjoying finals?

Postby solidsnake » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:07 am

im going to get a lot of shit for this -- but i actually really enjoy finals. it's the 2-3x a year where it is totally socially acceptable to stay in your apt, not shower, lie in bed reading and outlining for 12-14 hrs a day while eating chinese delivery, drink a shitload of dietcoke/redbull during a 4hr adrenaline rush, get shitfaced that night, and then rinse and repeat for 2 wks.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:09 am

I'm just glad it will be over soon and I can get a sense of how I'm doing.

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:28 am

i hate the work involved in getting ready to take practice exams. it's kind of cool because you finally get off your ass and learn the material, make connections, and put it all together. but it's kind of a pain in the ass. i really starting enjoying myself when i am at the point of taking practice exams.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:30 am

I'm looking forward to next semester. Now that OCI is done, and I am happy about my employment situation, I think I can enjoy school a little more. Unfortunately, OCI and the job search weighed me down early in the semester, and I never really caught up. So I'm not enjoying finals one bit.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:54 am

solidsnake wrote:im going to get a lot of shit for this -- but i actually really enjoy finals. it's the 2-3x a year where it is totally socially acceptable to stay in your apt, not shower, lie in bed reading and outlining for 12-14 hrs a day while eating chinese delivery, drink a shitload of dietcoke/redbull during a 4hr adrenaline rush, get shitfaced that night, and then rinse and repeat for 2 wks.

Yeah, the pressure motivates me a TON. People in my section think I'm a party animal and don't take school seriously... except those who have seen me the last week ;)

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:15 am

I will never use finals as an excuse not to shower . . .

dood

Postby dood » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:17 am

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:24 am

kalvano wrote:I'm just glad it will be over soon and I can get a sense of how I'm doing.

+1

The lack of useful feedback is aggravating.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:27 am

I hate all of you.

go4hls

Postby go4hls » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:54 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I hate all of you.

LOL.

I'm about 30 seconds from beginning the long-awaited final push. This thread is motivating me to go for it, so thx everyone!

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I hate all of you.

He's right. It's a very nice feeling to make the connections and realize hey I get this stuff, awesome I can actually be a lawyer! But fun? Maybe if I didn't realize that if I dominate it could be worth a lot of money and if I don't I'm stuck in shitville with everyone else. It also doesn't help that based on my 1/2 way gunning I got a clerkship and research position with a professor, both of which I cannot help but feel I will lose if I don't get top 10% grades. So major anxiety producing? Yes. Fun? Hardly.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Law school exams are like 3 hour puzzles. If you make a decent outline and in the process internalize as much as you can, it can be really fun to sit down and dissect the problem.

Though my tort professor is going to have multiple choice, matching, and fill-in-the-blanks, so that will be a big waste of time.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:26 pm

OGR3 wrote:Law school exams are like 3 hour puzzles. If you make a decent outline and in the process internalize as much as you can, it can be really fun to sit down and dissect the problem.

I agree. I'm taking a torts practice exam right now and solving the problems and trying to apply your knowledge is a lot of fun.

Like I keep telling people, I love law school. I liked writing my LARW memos. I just don't like the fact that my future is somewhat dependent on arbitrary grades for which I'm competing with brilliant people on a curve. It's like playing a game of pickup basketball for a job. I enjoy Basketball, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if my job was on the line.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:27 pm

los blancos wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Law school exams are like 3 hour puzzles. If you make a decent outline and in the process internalize as much as you can, it can be really fun to sit down and dissect the problem.

I agree. I'm taking a torts practice exam right now and solving the problems and trying to apply your knowledge is a lot of fun.

Like I keep telling people, I love law school. I liked writing my LARW memos. I just don't like the fact that my future is somewhat dependent on arbitrary grades for which I'm competing with brilliant people on a curve. It's like playing a game of pickup basketball for a job. I enjoy Basketball, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if my job was on the line.

This. That my first semester grades could affect the rest of my life is scary. I just try to avoid thinking about it as much as possible.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:34 pm

JazzOne wrote:I'm looking forward to next semester. Now that OCI is done, and I am happy about my employment situation, I think I can enjoy school a little more. Unfortunately, OCI and the job search weighed me down early in the semester, and I never really caught up. So I'm not enjoying finals one bit.

Ditto. I'm a 2L too, and I feel unprepared this semester. The worrying is not fun. I'm so behind. Also my 2L classes are harder material wise than most of the 1L subjects. (Some 1L subjects were extremely easy to cram for, like torts.) This adds to the shittiness of finals season.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Yeah, I'm kinda with the OP on this one. While I am very, very excited to finish exams, in the meantime I wake up every day stoked to cram and get as ready as possible. I'm perversely enjoying the challenge. First exam is tomorrow...will probably have trouble sleeping tonight.

Good luck, everyone!

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:17 pm

savagedm wrote:Ok, so I know I'm probably in the minority in this one, but having already taken crim law over the summer and spending most of the semester learning how to write an exam answer, I actually feel really excited for the next couple weeks. Is there anyone else there who is also relieved we are finally doing something akin to what we came to school to do in the first place? I know I can't be alone here!

Fuck you...in the face.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:34 pm

onthecusp wrote:
savagedm wrote:Ok, so I know I'm probably in the minority in this one, but having already taken crim law over the summer and spending most of the semester learning how to write an exam answer, I actually feel really excited for the next couple weeks. Is there anyone else there who is also relieved we are finally doing something akin to what we came to school to do in the first place? I know I can't be alone here!

Fuck you...in the face.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:38 pm

onthecusp wrote:

Fuck you...in the face.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:03 pm

I enjoy taking law school exams when I know what I'm doing. A few weeks before finals, I was deathly afraid of them. Now, they're fun to take apart.

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:13 am

Bit of advice: just take finals for what they are--a ~3 hour session where you spill your guts under completely unrealistic conditions. Keep in mind that the profs only have a couple weeks to grade the exams, and that if your school uses a curve, it's very likely that the grades won't be as statistically significant as the school would like. Law school grades aren't everything. Law school grades aren't everything. Law school grades aren't everything. Have fun with the exams, try to learn something, and take a few minutes just to step back and watch all of your classmates FREAK THE HELL OUT.

kxz

Postby kxz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 am

Yup, just hope your classmates are freaking out more than you.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:28 am

crEEp wrote:Bit of advice: just take finals for what they are--a ~3 hour session where you spill your guts under completely unrealistic conditions. Keep in mind that the profs only have a couple weeks to grade the exams, and that if your school uses a curve, it's very likely that the grades won't be as statistically significant as the school would like. Law school grades aren't everything. Law school grades aren't everything. Law school grades aren't everything. Have fun with the exams, try to learn something, and take a few minutes just to step back and watch all of your classmates FREAK THE HELL OUT.

Law school grades aren't everything, except for the key determinant for plotting the course of your professional career, and therefore, you're life. Eff grades, the guy who finishes ranked last in the class is still a lawyer.....

Yeah, I've heard that before..... blow me.

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:59 am

onthecusp wrote:Law school grades aren't everything, except for the key determinant for plotting the course of your professional career, and therefore, you're life. Eff grades, the guy who finishes ranked last in the class is still a lawyer.....

Yeah, I've heard that before..... blow me.

I feel terrible for the people who let their career define them. Okay, maybe you won't get that super cool professorship after rocking a solid-C 1L year. But you know what? You'll be fine. I think it makes more sense to try to set yourself apart from your classmates to make yourself more marketable within a particular legal niche. It's the people who said "oh i dunno, i just love the law" when asked why they chose to attend law school who need to worry, regardless of their grades.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”