What made you want to be a lawyer? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
randombetch

New

What made you want to be a lawyer?

Post by randombetch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:21 am

Apologies in advance if this question is cliche and/or over asked.

I'm at a crossroads where I'm not sure if a medical career is worth pursuing. I wanted to pursue medicine because I love science and love taking care of people, and medicine seems like the only career where I can combine those two to have a very satisfying and intellectually challenging career. I do NOT particularly enjoy memorizing stuff though, and it seems like a lot of medicine is just rote memorization :(.

I also really enjoy constructing arguments using precise logic and would love the "power" (not really power, but can't think of a better term for being able to use the knowledge and practice of law to one's advantage) of being a lawyer. Law seems exciting and incredibly intellectually challenging, and I am also willing to work hard and work long hours.

Money is an important factor to me - actually, one of the primary reasons I've been thinking about going into law is because of my financial situation and law provides faster income...

I tried doing research on this, but I am still unsure what reasons are good reasons for one to get involved in law, and whether law is for me. If you could just state what made you think law was the best field for you, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

calilaw

Bronze

Re: What made you want to be a lawyer?

Post by calilaw » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:25 am

You love science. You want to make money. Go to medical school.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:27 am

randombetch wrote:Apologies in advance if this question is cliche and/or over asked.

I'm at a crossroads where I'm not sure if a medical career is worth pursuing. I wanted to pursue medicine because I love science and love taking care of people, and medicine seems like the only career where I can combine those two to have a very satisfying and intellectually challenging career. I do NOT particularly enjoy memorizing stuff though, and it seems like a lot of medicine is just rote memorization :(.

I also really enjoy constructing arguments using precise logic and would love the "power" (not really power, but can't think of a better term for being able to use the knowledge and practice of law to one's advantage) of being a lawyer. Law seems exciting and incredibly intellectually challenging, and I am also willing to work hard and work long hours.

Money is an important factor to me - actually, one of the primary reasons I've been thinking about going into law is because of my financial situation and law provides faster income...

I tried doing research on this, but I am still unsure what reasons are good reasons for one to get involved in law, and whether law is for me. If you could just state what made you think law was the best field for you, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Dude, you have completely the wrong idea about law if you think the money is a reason to go to law school. Run, do not walk, back to your medical textbooks.

randombetch

New

Post by randombetch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:54 am

Big law lawyers make more than doctors. Can someone answer the original question?

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:18 am

1 getting harassed by the police :)

2 i like meticulous things

3 con law class

4 sister telling me about the cases she is working on

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:48 am

1) non-prestigous undergrad kept me out of banking.

2) worked in healthcare & hated it, so medical school was out

3) didn't realize until too late what a good job it is to be an actuary

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:08 am

randombetch wrote:Big law lawyers make more than doctors.
Not true, especially when you consider that the vast majority of biglaw lawyers remain biglaw lawyers for a relatively short period of time.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 am

Years of pursuing graduate degrees in the humanities --> skills that translate to law but no job prospects.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 am

If you love hours of brain-numbing research, writing briefs and memos that no one will read, never seeing your family, are willing to work for far less than the $160,000 salary paid at top firms to graduates of the top schools, all for the purposes of helping giant conglomerate A sue giant conglomerate B for stealing their copyrighted font or to help douchebag A sue douchebag B because A broke his tailbone when he did a cannonball into B's empty swimming pool, then the law is for you.

Seriously OP, don't go to law school if you don't ACTUALLY want to be a lawyer. The legal ranks are already overwhelmed by the dismembered carcasses of those who thought law would be an easy way to become rich, or their parents said they were good at arguing, or they couldn't do anything else with their worthless liberal arts degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 am

Renzo wrote:1) non-prestigous undergrad kept me out of banking.
+1

randombetch

New

Post by randombetch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:53 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Not true, especially when you consider that the vast majority of biglaw lawyers remain biglaw lawyers for a relatively short period of time.
The present value on the money earned by big law lawyers is greater than the present value of the money earned by doctors. Not only do doctors have to go into more debt, they also have to allow the debt to accumulate for several (3-8) years before getting a real paying job. I did a present value analysis on a spreadsheet and compared lawyers starting at 160k and doctors starting at 300k, 7 years after the lawyers (1 more year of school, 3 year residency, 3 year fellowship to get the high starting salary), with their salaries increasing at the same rate (unrealistic - doctor salaries don't go up that much whereas lawyer salaries have the potential to skyrocket) and a reasonable interest rate to calculate the present value of their money - lawyers make more in their careers than doctors do.

I did not, however, take into consideration that big law lawyers remain in big law for a short amount of time. What would you say the expected salary of a Yale law grad is 10 years into his/her career?
Last edited by randombetch on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 pm

randombetch wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
The present value on the money earned by lawyers is greater than the present value of the money earned by doctors. Not only do doctors have to go into more debt, they also have to allow the debt to accumulate for several (3-8) years before getting a real paying job. I did a present value analysis on a spreadsheet and compared lawyers starting at 160k and doctors starting at 300k with their salaries increasing at the same rate (unrealistic - doctor salaries don't go up that much whereas lawyer salaries have the potential to skyrocket) and a reasonable interest rate to calculate the present value of their money - lawyers make more in their careers than doctors do.
well if you've done a value analysis on a spreadsheet, it must be true :P im jk. i can agree w/ you on that point, but i think part of the point sundance was making was that most lawyers are NOT biglaw lawyers (or stay biglaw lawyers for long), which is very true. was his comment an accurate response to your first comment about big law lawyers making more than doctors? no, but it seems as if sundance wanted to bring into the equation yrs of working as x profession (so that a biglaw lawyer who drops out after 5 yrs and now works at a much lower paying job...doesn't mean you stop counting him into the value analysis)

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 pm

If you're biggest concern is making money, go into business. Most (as in 90%) lawyers are not making $160k+; especially not straight out of law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

randombetch

New

Post by randombetch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
randombetch wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
The present value on the money earned by lawyers is greater than the present value of the money earned by doctors. Not only do doctors have to go into more debt, they also have to allow the debt to accumulate for several (3-8) years before getting a real paying job. I did a present value analysis on a spreadsheet and compared lawyers starting at 160k and doctors starting at 300k with their salaries increasing at the same rate (unrealistic - doctor salaries don't go up that much whereas lawyer salaries have the potential to skyrocket) and a reasonable interest rate to calculate the present value of their money - lawyers make more in their careers than doctors do.
well if you've done a value analysis on a spreadsheet, it must be true :P im jk. i can agree w/ you on that point, but i think part of the point sundance was making was that most lawyers are NOT biglaw lawyers (or stay biglaw lawyers for long), which is very true. was his comment an accurate response to your first comment about big law lawyers making more than doctors? no, but it seems as if sundance wanted to bring into the equation yrs of working as x profession (so that a biglaw lawyer who drops out after 5 yrs and now works at a much lower paying job...doesn't mean you stop counting him into the value analysis)
Anyone have data on median lawyer salaries of HYS grads 7/10/15 years into their careers?

randombetch

New

Post by randombetch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 pm

keg411 wrote:If you're biggest concern is making money, go into business. Most (as in 90%) lawyers are not making $160k+; especially not straight out of law school.
Money's not my biggest concern, but thanks.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:06 pm

randombetch wrote:Anyone have data on median lawyer salaries of HYS grads 7/10/15 years into their careers?
why? you think you can get into HYS?

randombetch

New

Post by randombetch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:11 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
randombetch wrote:Anyone have data on median lawyer salaries of HYS grads 7/10/15 years into their careers?
Maybe?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:14 pm

The same underlying reason we do anything....I think I will have more sex as a lawyer and better pass on my genes to the next generation.

ohlawl

New

Post by ohlawl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 pm

I like making things fit together and asking questions.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:17 pm

randombetch wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
Maybe?
i think you sound like someone w/ a very pragmatic view of the world. im okay w/ that, because that is how i am as well. if you can get into HYS, then yeah, definitely consider it over med school. i recommend doing some volunteer work in both settings to know what you would like about either.

for me, law is a job in a field i find interesting and challenging...but you said that applies to both medicine and law for you...so no dice there. really will just have to see for yourself. medical school is a lot of hard work (more than law school imo) and focuses a lot on memorization (i hear). law school does too but not in exactly the same way.

either way, it shouldnt be the graduate schools you focus on...thats just a few yrs of your life. it should be about the career. cant help you too much there; check back w/ me in 8 yrs.

randombetch

New

Post by randombetch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:34 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
randombetch wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
Maybe?
i think you sound like someone w/ a very pragmatic view of the world. im okay w/ that, because that is how i am as well. if you can get into HYS, then yeah, definitely consider it over med school. i recommend doing some volunteer work in both settings to know what you would like about either.

for me, law is a job in a field i find interesting and challenging...but you said that applies to both medicine and law for you...so no dice there. really will just have to see for yourself. medical school is a lot of hard work (more than law school imo) and focuses a lot on memorization (i hear). law school does too but not in exactly the same way.

either way, it shouldnt be the graduate schools you focus on...thats just a few yrs of your life. it should be about the career. cant help you too much there; check back w/ me in 8 yrs.
Hey, I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

randombetch

New

Post by randombetch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:35 pm

AreJay711 wrote:The same underlying reason we do anything....I think I will have more sex as a lawyer and better pass on my genes to the next generation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

True that is the main reason we do anything.

crEEp

Bronze

Post by crEEp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:02 am

lol i dunno i just love the law

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 am

randombetch wrote:Apologies in advance if this question is cliche and/or over asked.

Go into the real world. Work for a few years. There are too many burned out lawyers and physicians in this world. DON'T GO TO A PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE THAT PROFESSIONAL. $200k is a lot of money to spend.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 am

A law school scholarship, a sometime way with words, and a general lack of superior viable options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”