Do T14 (specifically T10) schools fail students?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bonham887

Do T14 (specifically T10) schools fail students?

Postby bonham887 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Last edited by bonham887 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Re: Do T14 (specifically T10) schools fail students?

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:42 pm

What school? Are you in my section? I think I know who you are.

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Looking at your profile, if you are attending Michigan as it says, then I'm at a different school, but it's of approximately equivalent caliber (don't want to reveal it for privacy purposes in case people who DO go to my school see this, sorry)

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:48 pm

strokes788 wrote:Looking at your profile, if you are attending Michigan as it says, then I'm at a different school, but it's of approximately equivalent caliber (don't want to reveal it for privacy purposes in case people who DO go to my school see this, sorry)

All due respect, you are probably going to want to drop out. If you do as poorly as you say, save the tuition for the next semester. Maybe do something like some post-bacc classes or get another degree. Law is fucked anyway. You obviously don't have much of what it takes.

I wish you the best of luck, I really do. Nothing I said is against you personally, but you are in a situation where you have to come up big on Monday or start packing. It's not a good economy to be pissing money away.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Columbia Law wrote:
strokes788 wrote:Looking at your profile, if you are attending Michigan as it says, then I'm at a different school, but it's of approximately equivalent caliber (don't want to reveal it for privacy purposes in case people who DO go to my school see this, sorry)

All due respect, you are probably going to want to drop out. If you do as poorly as you say, save the tuition for the next semester. Maybe do something like some post-bacc classes or get another degree. Law is fucked anyway. You obviously don't have much of what it takes.

I wish you the best of luck, I really do. Nothing I said is against you personally, but you are in a situation where you have to come up big on Monday or start packing. It's not a good economy to be pissing money away.

suck it up. and keep on going. Honestly, you go to a t10 school. this advice would be good for a t1.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Tonight, download an outline from the school's outline bank or get one from a 2L/3L and read through it. Try to understand it; Google what you can't figure out.

Tomorrow, sit down with the E&E and go through all the problems relevant to your class. You'll learn a lot that way. Afterward, if you have time, take a practice exam.

You're not in an ideal place, but you can still get a lot done in a day.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:13 am

dude chill out, write down as much of the law/ cases in your outline and use the search feature on your comp during the exam, the test is testing application more than memory as long as you have the law down well enough you should be fine, I guarantee there are people a whole lot dumber/more oblivious than you at your school and you'll probably make median just start working now don't psyche yourself out

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:17 am

OP just so you know almost everyone in this thread knows that you're a student here(UVA)! Good luck man; even though I've been working diligently all semester I still feel the same way you do. But that's what the B+ mean, as well as next semester, are for.

Oh and if you want to know if people fail out, why don't you just go to the library and look at the grade distributions? It looks like they don't.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:19 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:25 am

showNprove wrote:If you're at UVa, the worst you'll get is a C+ unless your performance so bad as to actually anger the professor. If you're actually outlining and studying, that would be really hard to do.

In all seriousness if all you've done is read one hornbook (for civ pro), made your outline from scratch, read over it a few times, and taken one to two practice exams per class, are you really that far behind the people who have read every supplement released and done every practice test while studying 14 hours a day? What do they know that the rest of us don't? Is there that much material that I'm just not aware of outside of what was taught in class that I need to know?

bonham887

Postby bonham887 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:49 am

spondee wrote:Tonight, download an outline from the school's outline bank or get one from a 2L/3L and read through it. Try to understand it; Google what you can't figure out.

Tomorrow, sit down with the E&E and go through all the problems relevant to your class. You'll learn a lot that way. Afterward, if you have time, take a practice exam.

You're not in an ideal place, but you can still get a lot done in a day.

Thank you for the advice, I think this is the best hope I've got for my first two exams (thinking about it, I think for my last exam I got "it" so to speak in that class as it was the most straightforward), and to ColumbiaLaw, as harsh as your input was, thank you for that as well because I know you didn't mean any ill will. Good luck on finals everyone!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 am

BruceWayne wrote:
showNprove wrote:If you're at UVa, the worst you'll get is a C+ unless your performance so bad as to actually anger the professor. If you're actually outlining and studying, that would be really hard to do.

In all seriousness if all you've done is read one hornbook (for civ pro), made your outline from scratch, read over it a few times, and taken one to two practice exams per class, are you really that far behind the people who have read every supplement released and done every practice test while studying 14 hours a day? What do they know that the rest of us don't? Is there that much material that I'm just not aware of outside of what was taught in class that I need to know?

I could be completely wrong about this, but from what I've gleaned from the 2Ls I've talked to here, I think Law School typically exposes the habitual overachievers who study their arses off and know every minute detail in favor of those who are just naturally predisposed to doing well on law school exams.

In a sense, I think our grades a predetermined. You can make sure you put in the necessary work and know your shit, but at the end of the day I really don't feel like I have much control over where I'm going to end up in the class.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:58 am

Penn fails out about zero people, and I assume UVA is similar.

I'm assuming you just have 1L jitters, but seriously, if you've been attending class, taking notes, attempting to outline etc, you know enough to scrape by at least a passing grade. Keep studying, and try not to panic.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:49 am

Just to echo everyone else: I think every 1L feels this way (at least every 1L I know does). I don't think a single one of my friends feels like they are ready to really ace these exams. We are all scared, but 2Ls/3Ls have told us not to stress so much because you would pretty much have to do so poorly as to make the professor either physically ill or furiously angry in order to get a failing grade.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 am

if you cheat

nleefer

Postby nleefer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:24 am

Quote from my tax professor the other day:

"Yes, I give substandard passes, but I have to be provoked."

joesrevenge

Postby joesrevenge » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:36 pm

kurla88 wrote:Penn fails out about zero people, and I assume UVA is similar.

I'm assuming you just have 1L jitters, but seriously, if you've been attending class, taking notes, attempting to outline etc, you know enough to scrape by at least a passing grade. Keep studying, and try not to panic.

You can actually get by with less. Get someone's outline and add to it as you go through. You can do this in a 2-day span and still get at least a B+.

There are people that do less than even that at every school.

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 pm

joesrevenge wrote:

You can actually get by with less. Get someone's outline and add to it as you go through. You can do this in a 2-day span and still get at least a B+.

Not to bad-mouth my classmates, but I was shocked when I talked to four or five people today who admitted to me they hadn't started studying until the middle of last week. I doubt there is a particularly strong correlation between amount of studying and placement on the curve, but I have scared myself into the need to study for so long I forgot there are less neurotic people in the class.

And why would they fail anybody? They want your money.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:36 pm

joesrevenge wrote:

Stop giving away our secrets...

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm curious... did you manage to not fail?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”