Good CivPro Outline

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gatriel

Good CivPro Outline

Postby Gatriel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Hey All-

I realize all prof's do things different, but does anyone have a 1st semester Civ Pro "attack" outline, that isn't 453 pages long? Something, short and sweet?

kalvano

Re: Good CivPro Outline

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:28 am

I will by the end of the day.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:47 am

+1.

Our professor only allows us 1 sheet of paper (writing on both sides) so I'm forced to condense everything to small attack plans.

PM me w/your email if you want and I can send you what I have at the end of today.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Heres's what I have for Personal Jurisdiction and Erie Doctrine:

Personal Jurisdiction:

1. Does the long-arm statute of the state apply or not. Only continue if it applies.

2. Is this a general or specific jurisdiction? If General, use the systematic and continuous analysis. If Specific, use minimum contact analysis.

3. Minimum contact analysis include a) purposeful availment (O'Connor and Brennan disagree on their stream of commerce theory), b) whether the act give rise to the suit (this is actually a 9th Circuit criteria, influenced by Brennan, that really has to do with differentiating between general and specific jurisdiction) and c) assessing the convenience and reasonableness to hall the defendant into the forum state (includes states' interest, plaintiff's interest, burden on the defendant and judicial efficiency).

Erie Doctrine:

1. Is the source of the law a) federal judge common law, b) Federal Rules of Civil Procedure or c) Congress passed statutes (such as the United States Code) or the Constitution.

2. If a), then proceed with Byrd test (bound up question, twin policy aims or Erie and countervailing federal interests). This is due to the Judiciary Act of 1789.

If b), proceed with Hannah Part II and look to see if the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure is pertinent (whether it conflicts with the state law) or valid (if it is arguably procedural and does not abridge, enlarge or modify any substantive right). This is due to the Rules Enabling Act.

If c), the Rules of Enabling Act won't apply, so only have to answer if the Congress passed statute or Constitution is arguably procedural. If yes, federal law automatically applies (Scalia and Stevens disagree on this).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Currently making a civ pro attack sheet. Trying to keep it to one page for each major topic (PJ, SMJ, etc.). Just found out my civ pro teacher likes quotes from cases, argh.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm making a sheet that has a large table of rules. Has the rule #, title, explanation, case references, etc. Also making a master sheet of all cases, since our prof. wants us to be able to reference any and all of them. That will be about a page, with case name, page #, VERY brief statement of facts just to jog my memory, the rule/concept implicated in bold so that I never forget why we read a given case. The final sheet is the concept/issue sheet. I made a list of all the major concepts we went over (i.e. summary judgment, class actions, personal jurisdiction, etc) and put some important conceptual points under each one. After taking a bunch of practice exams, I feel like certain points of analysis are constantly coming up, so I want to have some pre-prepped juicy sentences on certain overarching concepts that I can just copy into my actual exam and dress up to meet the factual scenario of the exam. But these 3 sheets will essentially be all I need for the exam.

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Theres a couple that people already posted on here just try searching. The one I found is like 17 pages of all flowcharts and is pretty helpful.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Our professor only allows us 1 sheet of paper (writing on both sides) so I'm forced to condense everything to small attack plans.

That's kind of nuts.

Mine will be around 15 pages, categorically labeled in the headings (Stating The Claim, Defenses, Answers) with all the rules in the headings as well.

By the way, making a different heading for each page in MS Word? Fuck you, Microsoft. It's easier to figure out complex astrophysics and advanced calculus while tripping on acid.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:12 pm

kalvano wrote:I will by the end of the day.

Share it then? I've got a monster outline, ~25 pages or so. I'll put it up when its all done.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Gatriel wrote:
kalvano wrote:I will by the end of the day.

Share it then? I've got a monster outline, ~25 pages or so. I'll put it up when its all done.

Sure, PM me your email.

Unless you go to SMU. Then bite me.

scolinos

Postby scolinos » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm looking for one of these too. My monster torts outline was a burden to flip through when I needed a quick rule.

Anyone mind sharing theirs? Thanks :)

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:Currently making a civ pro attack sheet. Trying to keep it to one page for each major topic (PJ, SMJ, etc.). Just found out my civ pro teacher likes quotes from cases, argh.

My Civ Pro professor wants citations and quotes from everything, everywhere. I hate her.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Gatriel wrote:Hey All-

I realize all prof's do things different, but does anyone have a 1st semester Civ Pro "attack" outline, that isn't 453 pages long? Something, short and sweet?

You'd have better luck spamming your ListServ for 2L and 3Ls who had your professor.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
You'd have better luck spamming your ListServ for 2L and 3Ls who had your professor.

He has been visiting other schools the past 2 years. :(

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Gatriel wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

outlinedepot.com?

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Gatriel wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

outlinedepot.com?

I've got one from there, its pushing 50 pages. That is fine, and I'm using it as reference, but something short(er). It also lacks anything about Eerie. Fail.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Mine's going to end up around 25 pages worth of basic rules (not all pages full, I've got it divided into sections), with probably 35-40 pages total including cases and such, but cases will be at the back and optional to print.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Sounds good. Same thing with mine, except pre-written rule statements at the back of it. I'll email you a copy when I'm done. Good compare/contrast.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:53 pm

if anyone would like to share their attack outline with me, it'd be greatly appreciated :) :)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”