No more legal writing! Thank god

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Generic20101L

No more legal writing! Thank god

Postby Generic20101L » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:29 pm

That is all.

dakatz

Re: No more legal writing! Thank god

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Generic20101L wrote:That is all.

I will hopefully join the club in a few hours. Guess I will go back to suffering through the last painful minutes of my first semester LRW experience. Die, memo, die

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:22 pm

We finished the Monday of Thanksgiving. 1/2 of me wishes I had my memo grade. Other 1/2 of me is glad it doesn't come out until all the other grades are coming out.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:36 pm

BriaTharen wrote:We finished the Monday of Thanksgiving. 1/2 of me wishes I had my memo grade. Other 1/2 of me is glad it doesn't come out until all the other grades are coming out.

Me too. We have a multiple choice exam to go along with our memo.

One of the most egregious wastes of time in law school thus far. (Next to the library scavenger hunts our LRW class sent us on).

Come to think of it, almost all of the time well wasted in law school has been tied to LRW.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Gatriel wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:We finished the Monday of Thanksgiving. 1/2 of me wishes I had my memo grade. Other 1/2 of me is glad it doesn't come out until all the other grades are coming out.

Me too. We have a multiple choice exam to go along with our memo.

One of the most egregious wastes of time in law school thus far. (Next to the library scavenger hunts our LRW class sent us on).

Come to think of it, almost all of the time well wasted in law school has been tied to LRW.

You had to do the scavenger hunts too? Sucks.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Yeup. Felt like middle school. Had they been pertinent I wouldn't have minded, but I honestly think its a last ditch effort for the reference librarians not to realize their own worthlessness.

We were told "If you use WLN you won't find all the cases you need" multiple times. Sadly enough everyone I know used WLN, and found all the cases they needed, too bad for them ALR is on WLN.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Gatriel wrote:Yeup. Felt like middle school. Had they been pertinent I wouldn't have minded, but I honestly think its a last ditch effort for the reference librarians not to realize their own worthlessness.

We were told "If you use WLN you won't find all the cases you need" multiple times. Sadly enough everyone I know used WLN, and found all the cases they needed, too bad for them ALR is on WLN.

I'm glad we did them only from the aspect that they were easy points.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:56 pm

BriaTharen wrote:I'm glad we did them only from the aspect that they were easy points.

You got points for doing the library scavenger hunts?

--ImageRemoved--

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Gatriel wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:I'm glad we did them only from the aspect that they were easy points.

You got points for doing the library scavenger hunts?

--ImageRemoved--

Don't be. They were long, and the points meant that we had to care.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Our class has been over for a couple weeks, but we don't get our memos back until after our last exam. So, I'm not yet free of its wrath.

Fast_Fingers

Postby Fast_Fingers » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Yeah, it definitely felt good. My last open memo turned out to be my best one...so that'll be my writing sample when applying.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:39 pm

curious question from ignorant 0L. why is LRW almost universally hated by law students? is it just a lot of busywork or what

kxz

Postby kxz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:41 pm

It burns a shitload of hours in our life and it is only 2 credits.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 pm

HowdyYall wrote:curious question from ignorant 0L. why is LRW almost universally hated by law students? is it just a lot of busywork or what

I actually really liked LRW, but I have to agree that it is a lot of work for 2 units and ours is graded to boot. But it is a nice break from reading casebooks IMO.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 am

kxz wrote:It burns a shitload of hours in our life and it is only 2 credits.

Ours is graded as well. We also have our final memos due during crunch time, so if you haven't gone and finished your memo way ahead of time, you are giving up precious study hours to do this stupid thing

kxz

Postby kxz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 pm

BriaTharen wrote:
kxz wrote:It burns a shitload of hours in our life and it is only 2 credits.

Ours is graded as well. We also have our final memos due during crunch time, so if you haven't gone and finished your memo way ahead of time, you are giving up precious study hours to do this stupid thing

Ours is too. My last memo was due around Dec. 1st. I'm just saying that we do a ridiculously amount of work for a 2 credit course. Though in the end, I did find the class VERY helpful.

Fast_Fingers

Postby Fast_Fingers » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:06 pm

HowdyYall wrote:curious question from ignorant 0L. why is LRW almost universally hated by law students? is it just a lot of busywork or what

Lots of work, and you have to produce something on a regular basis. Also, there is a strict structure that needs to be followed, so it's almost like relearning how to write all over again. It's arguably the most useful class, and the most painful.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:31 pm

LRW = massive waste of time.

Library scavenger hunts, how to use a set of 800 books when in all reality you just need how to use secondary sources in WLN. Takes time away from other classes that either A) Count for more of a grade, or actually count for a grade.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:49 pm

It's just such a different skill set from your other classes that it sticks out. its hard to change gears from exam prep to ridiculously detailed writing about horrendously boring subjects. That is my problem with it. But, life is full of stuff like that, so you just kinda deal with it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”