Down-time?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stocksly33

Down-time?

Postby stocksly33 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:15 am

I know this is troll bait, but...

Have you guys given up your down-time now that it's crunchtime?

I've never worked this hard in school before, so I have no perspective. I take about 2-3 hours of legit downtime at the end of the night and get 7 hours of sleep. The rest is studying or necessities. Do you guys get counterproductive if you push it too far or is it worth it? I've honestly never tried.

BaiAilian2013

Re: Down-time?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:27 am

I am much more productive if I take some time off now and then. I'm not taking full weekends or even full days off like I did earlier in the semester, but I do give myself about an hour after getting home from school, and maybe half a day on the weekends.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:32 am

People are generally more productive when they balance work and life. Studying 18 hours a day is counter-productive.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:51 am

Realistically I have about 6 hours a day of focused studying, 6 hours a day of try-to-stay-focused-but-sometimes-go-on-TLS-studying, 7-8 hours of sleep and the rest is downtime. I feel pretty good about my understanding of everything and my professors were happy with my practice tests. Can't complaint.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Having already gone through 1L, I definitely cranked it to the max during exam time. That said, I still always got 7-8 hours of sleep, and I never crammed before tests and rested a little more than normal the night before one. Worked perfectly for me. I really just think it comes down to personal preference ... I don't think it is really all that necessary to kill yourself during finals time if you have been diligent throughout the semester to answer your question.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:08 pm

I take a lot of down time: August through November. Then I study like a crazy for a few weeks. Then I go back into hibernation for a few months. Works like a charm. Regular work schedule is for pussies.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 pm

I found that the work during the semester just isn't all that time consuming. Now that I am just a few days away from my first graded final, my group and I are taking one to two practice exams a day and spending hours reviewing each one. I read all the advice about taking practice exams really early (some people say from day 1). I found that is just useless because you just don't know enough until very close to the end of the semester to really start taking exams. Sure, practicing applying certain doctrines here and there is useful to remember them, but until you have close to the whole picture it's almost impossible to put all the moving parts together for an exam. I have also found that when I type on internet forums I am trying to make sure I cover every issue I can think of and end up writing inordinately long posts just to make sure I don't miss some small detail.
Last edited by swc65 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 pm

swc65 wrote:I have also found that when I type on internet forums I am trying to make sure I cover every issue I can think of and end up writing inordinately long posts just to make sure I don't some small detail.

Intentional fail?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:26 pm

JazzOne wrote:
swc65 wrote:I have also found that when I type on internet forums I am trying to make sure I cover every issue I can think of and end up writing inordinately long posts just to make sure I don't some small detail.

Intentional fail?

No but that would be funny as shit. Too many civpro exams.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Just finished my first exam, definitely going to spend the rest of the night relaxing before I get back to prepping for my next exam on Monday.

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:04 pm

traehekat wrote:Just finished my first exam, definitely going to spend the rest of the night relaxing before I get back to prepping for my next exam on Monday.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:10 pm

I am incapable of getting anything done after the exam the day I take it if the final ends at 5 or later.

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:34 am

I study for an hour and then take a 20 minute break. I repeat that pretty much all day, and for any task (not just studying). I find that I do my best work in small, highly efficient segments.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”