How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

How many hours of sleep/night are 1Ls getting going into finals?

NONE
1%
1-2 Hours
2%
3-4 Hours
2%
5-6 Hours
20%
7-8 Hours
49%
Big Law is screaming my name...
3%
I'm not a 1L
23%

Total votes: 182

beach_terror

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:39 pm

As much as I need. Varies daily, but I never sacrifice sleep for doing work. Learning the law isn't something you can do haphazardly. If I can't focus 100%, I'm better off sleeping or taking a break, etc.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:15 pm

How are most people 7-8 hours?!?! i dont even get that in undergrad its more like 5-7. What am i missing

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:25 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:How are most people 7-8 hours?!?! i dont even get that in undergrad its more like 5-7. What am i missing

You need to prioritize.

1. Fun Stuff (Going to movies, dinner, playing video games, etc.)
2. Making fun of everyone freaking out
3. Sleep
4. Everything else
5. Schoolwork

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:28 pm

OGR3 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:How are most people 7-8 hours?!?! i dont even get that in undergrad its more like 5-7. What am i missing

You need to prioritize.

3. Sleep
4. Everything else
5. Schoolwork

I think #2 can be included in #1

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:29 pm

OGR3 wrote:

You need to prioritize.

3. Sleep
4. Everything else
5. Schoolwork

This may vary from school to school based on where you attend, how difficult it is. If one goes to a T2 school, then the priorities may be very different then a T14 school

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:I think #2 can be included in #1

Good Point
AssumptionRequired wrote:This may vary from school to school based on where you attend, how difficult it is. If one goes to a T2 school, then the priorities may be very different then a T14 school

If anything, I should be more worried about exams because I'm at a T2. The only all-nighter I've pulled was on Thanksgiving so I could get out early for Black Friday sales.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:39 pm

If anything, I should be more worried about exams because I'm at a T2. The only all-nighter I've pulled was on Thanksgiving so I could get out early for Black Friday sales.

More worried, definitely. The level of competition may also be lower (im a 0L) so i would think there would be more people who would party more often.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:45 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
More worried, definitely. The level of competition may also be lower (im a 0L) so i would think there would be more people who would party more often.

No

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:

No

This is coming from someone who goes to which school range? I am just saying i do not see how the difficulty of admissions doesnt correlate to the work ethic of the students. This does not just change overnight after undergrad.

Someone who parties to hard in UG is more likely to party to hard in LS

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:52 pm

beach_terror wrote:

No

This is coming from someone who goes to which school range? I am just saying i do not see how the difficulty of admissions doesnt correlate to the work ethic of the students. This does not just change overnight after undergrad.

Because UG grades and LSAT scores do not indicate how hard people work. UG grades and LSAT scores also only reflect before LS, many people's attitudes completely change when they get to LS. Very few people at my T2 don't work hard, and nobody goes out anymore.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:57 pm

beach_terror wrote:

No

I love when people in UG demand to know what rank school someone goes to before paying attention to their advice.

Also, LOL at your party correlation theory.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:05 pm

paratactical wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

No

I love when people in UG demand to know what rank school someone goes to before paying attention to their advice.

Also, LOL at your party correlation theory.

derp.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:06 pm

I averaged about eight hours a night until November, now I'm lucky to get six.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:12 pm

I don't see the point of pulling all-nighters or staying up doing work until 3am. After a certain point my brain shuts off and I'm not going to remember anything anyway. I used to pull the occasional all-nighter in undergrad but it was because I was completely disorganized and never did any work during the semester (and my grades showed it).

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:13 pm

keg411 wrote:I don't see the point of pulling all-nighters or staying up doing work until 3am. After a certain point my brain shuts off and I'm not going to remember anything anyway. I used to pull the occasional all-nighter in undergrad but it was because I was completely disorganized and never did any work during the semester (and my grades showed it).

QF the reason I'm doing all nighters now.

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:35 pm

beach_terror wrote:

No

You also spelled too* wrong.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 pm

solotee wrote:

You also spelled too* wrong.

orly?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Undergrad is easy. You can put in 25 hours a week effort in Social Studies at some shit private school and get a 3.8 if you are smart enough to get a good LSAT. And then be horrifically drunk the rest of the week.

Though to be fair law school probably only takes 35 hours a week from Sept til beginning of November.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:19 pm

I get about 7-9 hours a night

Desert Fox wrote:Undergrad is easy. You can put in 25 hours a week effort in Social Studies at some shit private school and get a 3.8 if you are smart enough to get a good LSAT. And then be horrifically drunk the rest of the week.

Though to be fair law school probably only takes 35 hours a week from Sept til beginning of November.

For 25 hours a week you should get a 4.3 (or realistically... 3.98+)

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 pm

7-8 hours here. Of course, I get up pretty early in the morning and everything that is NOT related to school is pretty much driving to and back from school (probably an hour) and "dinner time" (probably an hour or two as well). Everything else is pretty much doing school work with a short 10 minute break on facebook, TLS, game forums, etc. Of course, this has the problem of making me feel like I'm not doing all that much during these finals period when the "crunch time" for most was pretty much my normal day for the past 3 months.

That, and I'm starting to have dreams where things seem exciting, but then everything freezes and a disembodied voice tells me "RAISE ALL POSSIBLE CLAIMS, CAUSES OF ACTION, AND DEFENSES A GOOD LAWYER WOULD MAKE BASED ON THIS SCENARIO" and I actually do so. I should probably get that checked out.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:Undergrad is easy. You can put in 25 hours a week effort in Social Studies at some shit private school and get a 3.8 if you are smart enough to get a good LSAT. And then be horrifically drunk the rest of the week.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:33 am

I wake up at 6 everyday to go jogging, I find this helps me become very tired by 10pm at night, and easily fall asleep for a good 6-8 hours of rest

i guess moral of story, if you having trouble falling asleep, force your ass to wake up early and work out, pretty sure day 1 you will be dead tired at night, if not day 1 by day 2 at least.

oh, and avoid naps at all costs, naps always give me insomnia come night time

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:41 am

uwb09 wrote:oh, and avoid naps at all costs, naps always give me insomnia come night time

Naps are the devil, especially when they last much longer than you plan for them to (which is usually all the time with me). Also, I agree with working out. Not only will it help you maintain some semblance of a normal sleep schedule, it energizes you throughout the day (if you working out in the morning/early on in the day) so that you don't take naps.

zanda

Postby zanda » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 am

I averaged 8.5 or 9.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:58 pm

I have developed a system where only half of my brain sleeps with the half it controls also unconscious at the same time. That way, while my creative side is taking a break, my analytical side will kick in and allow me to outline in a proper format and really work that structure into my memory. Then, once I have my structure built, I'll allow that side to rest and I'll awaking my creative side and do hypos applying the structure I have just built.

I have outlined my casebooks twice and found 3 systematic errors in at least 2 of the casebooks by utilizing this method. Fear me on exam day.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”