How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

How many hours of sleep/night are 1Ls getting going into finals?

NONE
2
1%
1-2 Hours
3
2%
3-4 Hours
4
2%
5-6 Hours
36
20%
7-8 Hours
90
49%
Big Law is screaming my name...
5
3%
I'm not a 1L
42
23%
 
Total votes: 182

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby zeth006 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:37 am

Just wanted to know how many hours 1Ls are sleeping in the days before each final

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby shanemahsa » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:41 am

Sorry, I debated whether to cast my totally unnecessary vote, and ultimately decided to participate. I'm not a 1L lol.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:42 am

shanemahsa wrote:Sorry, I debated whether to cast my totally unnecessary vote, and ultimately decided to participate. I'm not a 1L lol.

+1

TigerBeer
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby TigerBeer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:46 am

I plan to sleep 7-8. The extra hour of sleep is worth far more than the extra hour of study. Plus I want to be caught up on sleep (or even better, on a surplus) because the night before the final I'll probably sleep less due to nerves or whatever.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:47 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:Sorry, I debated whether to cast my totally unnecessary vote, and ultimately decided to participate. I'm not a 1L lol.

+1


:)

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby dailygrind » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:48 am

TigerBeer wrote:I plan to sleep 7-8. The extra hour of sleep is worth far more than the extra hour of study. Plus I want to be caught up on sleep (or even better, on a surplus) because the night before the final I'll probably sleep less due to nerves or whatever.


i'm doing my best to get sleep, but i'm so wired that i can't fall asleep at night.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby zeth006 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:49 am

TigerBeer wrote:I plan to sleep 7-8. The extra hour of sleep is worth far more than the extra hour of study. Plus I want to be caught up on sleep (or even better, on a surplus) because the night before the final I'll probably sleep less due to nerves or whatever.


Perfectly understandable.


Unfortunately for me, because I've been getting 6-6.5 hours per night and going to class sleepy like an idiot, I'm having a tough time "retraining" my body to accept 7-8. I end up waking about 6-6.5 hours after I go to bed and having to force myself to go back to sleep for an additional hour. Sometimes leaves me waking up feeling a bit uncoordinated.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:14 am

6-7, the usual. So far.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:18 am

Psyching yourself out over not sleeping a perfect 8 hours is way worse than actually getting fewer than 8 hours.

User avatar
ninano
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby ninano » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:36 am

Am I the only one on this forum who tends to get less than 5 hours a night all the time during the week? Even in October I had a few weeks where I was lucky to get 4 hours of sleep with all the reading, memo writing,and legal research homework i had to do.

I know the night b4 the final I will do my best to get 7 hours, and hopefully the night before that I will get 7-8 hours too but it's highly unlikely knowing me and my last minute cramming.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby Ragged » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:45 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:Sorry, I debated whether to cast my totally unnecessary vote, and ultimately decided to participate. I'm not a 1L lol.

+1


:)


+3

It was very considerate of the OP to make an option for the rest of us.

Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby Rawlsian » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:47 am

It depends on how much scotch I have.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:49 am

My issue hasn't been staying up because I have a lot of work to do, my issue has been staying up because I just can't fall asleep. I'm about to resort to NyQuil.

User avatar
joobacca
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby joobacca » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 am

MrKappus wrote:Psyching yourself out over not sleeping a perfect 8 hours is way worse than actually getting fewer than 8 hours.

i completely agree.

pleasepickme
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:58 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby pleasepickme » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:59 am

I sleep 7-8 because I get migraines if I don't. Migraines= NO work done the next day, so I make the trade off.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:04 am

pleasepickme wrote:I sleep 7-8 because I get migraines if I don't. Migraines= NO work done the next day, so I make the trade off.


Damn. Sorry to hear that. Have you tried imitrex or its generic? Helped a friend of mine out who'd had 'em for his whole life. I need about 3-4 hours a night to be functional the next day. I can string a few of those back to back before it starts to get ugly. I can't sleep more than 6 hours a night though no matter what, so either I'm Biglaw-ready or I have serious problems. Or both.

User avatar
ninano
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby ninano » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:27 am

MrKappus wrote:
pleasepickme wrote:I sleep 7-8 because I get migraines if I don't. Migraines= NO work done the next day, so I make the trade off.


Damn. Sorry to hear that. Have you tried imitrex or its generic? Helped a friend of mine out who'd had 'em for his whole life. I need about 3-4 hours a night to be functional the next day. I can string a few of those back to back before it starts to get ugly. I can't sleep more than 6 hours a night though no matter what, so either I'm Biglaw-ready or I have serious problems. Or both.


I'm glad I'm not the only one who is weird abt sleep on a normal basis. However, I could certainly sleep up to 10 hours if I had all the time in the world. *sigh* I miss those days.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:59 am

Sleep is for the B+ students.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:25 am

ninano wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is weird abt sleep on a normal basis.

Nope, you're not alone! I need 7-ish EVERY night or I have crazy emotions and can't digest my food. IMO, if the other 17 hours of the day are insufficient for me to study properly, I'm doing it wrong.

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby SmittenMitten » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:Sleep is for the B+ students.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:27 am

I get 7-8 every night and I still get more work done than the majority of my section. If you can be efficient with your time there is never really any reason to get under 7.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 am

8-9 hours during finals. Tiring yourself out, or overworking yourself is counterproductive. Lets be honest, performance on an exam isn't about who crammed the most, practice and study, but at some point you either get it or you don't.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:50 am

Blindmelon wrote:8-9 hours during finals. Tiring yourself out, or overworking yourself is counterproductive. Lets be honest, performance on an exam isn't about who crammed the most, practice and study, but at some point you either get it or you don't.


This x 1,000,000.

I don't get some people who read and re-read cases 6 or 7 times. There comes a point where you have to concede that your brain just isn't getting something, stick with how you understand it best and pray that it isn't on the exam.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby zeth006 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Dammit. When to bed at 11:30, ended up falling asleep an hour later, woke up around 5:30. What's wrong with me.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: How much sleep/night are 1Ls getting each day?

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:34 pm

zeth006 wrote:Dammit. When to bed at 11:30, ended up falling asleep an hour later, woke up around 5:30. What's wrong with me.


If you're not tired, who cares? More time to do work. Do work, son.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: derecho123, JRA, Voynich and 12 guests