Multiple Choice on law school exams

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
usuaggie

Re: Multiple Choice on law school exams

Postby usuaggie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Baylan wrote:My torts exam is true/false, with explanations on false for why it is false, and short answer.

There is a special kind of torture in hell for someone who designs an law school exam like this, since theoretically... every answer in law school should pretty much be, "it depends."

I have true/false/it depends on my civ pro final.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:27 pm

rad law wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Outrageous!

Sue for IIED.

False. No intent.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
onthecusp wrote:Multiple Choice is almost like taking a nap during the test. It requires less brain processing power and provides for a better curve.

Do you understand how curves work?

We can either stop playing the stupid questions game, or you can just get over the fact that MC is becoming a part of life on law school exams.

A difficult multiple choice section with a 50-60% median produces a wider distribution of scores, making for a more distinguishable curve, which is desirable on a test where everyone is pretty much saying the same shit in their essay's. There is less luck involved, and it awards students for knowing more (you can't bullshit your way into points).

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:56 pm

I can only imagine what MC questions would look like on a LS exam. Probably just a step below the CPA exam (especially the Auditing section) where every answer looks like it could be right.

I always thought the hardest MC exams threw in the "None of the Above" choice. Just that option alone can do enough to play games with your mind and wonder.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 pm

onthecusp wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
onthecusp wrote:Multiple Choice is almost like taking a nap during the test. It requires less brain processing power and provides for a better curve.

We can either stop playing the stupid questions game, or you can just get over the fact that MC is becoming a part of life on law school exams.

A difficult multiple choice section with a 50-60% median produces a wider distribution of scores, making for a more distinguishable curve, which is desirable on a test where everyone is pretty much saying the same shit in their essay's. There is less luck involved, and it awards students for knowing more (you can't bullshit your way into points).

Yeah, you're presuming the prof can actually write a decent MC exam. In the one class I had a MC exam in, the difference between a 177 (median) and a 181 (A) was 2 questions.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:31 pm

Baylan wrote:
rad law wrote:

Sue for IIED.

False. No intent.

CHECK YOU TORTS. This conduct could be reckless.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:32 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
onthecusp wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Yeah, you're presuming the prof can actually write a decent MC exam. In the one class I had a MC exam in, the difference between a 177 (median) and a 181 (A) was 2 questions.

True

On the midterm I took, the multiple choice section was 25 questions, and the highest score was 19/25. 12 Correct was the mean. If you double that to 50 questions on the final, you have an even greater curve. But that's assuming people perform as poorly this time around as they did on the midterm.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:54 pm

Schools are doing the MC tests more because most state bars have a MC section.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Found out today my Con Law final is four multiple choice questions (15 points each) and one essay (40 points). Sounds like a curve disaster waiting to happen. Prof gave us a sample multiple choice question and it does have a half page fact pattern, but I fail to see how this kind of system can work. The point ratio seems way off.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:02 pm

My professor says that MC questions are what makes the curve basically. I don't understand the outrage, all of your classmates are taking the same test, all of you are affected together. With a curve it really doesnt matter what the composition of the exam is. Exams aren't indicative or real life no matter what the makeup is.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 pm

jdubb990 wrote:Schools are doing the MC tests more because most state bars have a MC section.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:55 am

rad law wrote:
Baylan wrote:
rad law wrote:

Sue for IIED.

False. No intent.

Good thing that I wasn't being sarcastic or messing around... at all.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am

Baylan wrote:
rad law wrote:

Law school jokes: only funny when they're accurate.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Baylan wrote:My torts exam is true/false, with explanations on false for why it is false, and short answer.

There is a special kind of torture in hell for someone who designs an law school exam like this, since theoretically... every answer in law school should pretty much be, "it depends."

No. For civ pro there is a lot of clear-cut answers. Either there is complete diversity or there isn't, etc.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
Baylan wrote:
rad law wrote:

Law school jokes: only funny when they're accurate.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:45 pm

rayiner wrote:

No. For civ pro there is a lot of clear-cut answers. Either there is complete diversity or there isn't, etc.

Unfortunately, Civ Pro at my school does the rules first, and the jurisdictional Civ Pro isn't a required 1st year class. Yes, its weird. Yes, its unorthodox. No, I have not read Pennoyer yet. And so... there aren't very many clear cut answers for my little 1L mind yet.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Baylan wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Unfortunately, Civ Pro at my school does the rules first, and the jurisdictional Civ Pro isn't a required 1st year class. Yes, its weird. Yes, its unorthodox. No, I have not read Pennoyer yet. And so... there aren't very many clear cut answers for my little 1L mind yet.

The rules are where the clear cut answers come from. I'd be scared shitless if my civ pro professor asked for a clear cut answer for whether there is general jurisdiction, or what constitutes purposeful availment in stream of commerce.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”