Course selection for the bar exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Anonymous Loser

Course selection for the bar exam

Postby Anonymous Loser » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:08 pm

While most of my credits next semester will be devoted to clinical work and courses closely related to the practice area I plan to enter, I do have a few credits I can devote toward those subject areas that I am unfamiliar with but expect to see on the bar exam.

I am planning on taking secured transactions, because I've heard that this can be difficult to pick up through BarBri, and my state (Washington) has a reputation for difficult Article 9 questions on the bar exam.

Are there any other courses I should look into to avoid self-pwning on the bar exam?

I've taken Corporations / Partnerships, and an Article 2 course, but beyond that I haven't had much exposure to business/transactional subjects. I feel very comfortable with property, criminal law, and torts, and pick up procedure very quickly.

reasonable_man

Re: Course selection for the bar exam

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:While most of my credits next semester will be devoted to clinical work and courses closely related to the practice area I plan to enter, I do have a few credits I can devote toward those subject areas that I am unfamiliar with but expect to see on the bar exam.

I am planning on taking secured transactions, because I've heard that this can be difficult to pick up through BarBri, and my state (Washington) has a reputation for difficult Article 9 questions on the bar exam.

Are there any other courses I should look into to avoid self-pwning on the bar exam?

I've taken Corporations / Partnerships, and an Article 2 course, but beyond that I haven't had much exposure to business/transactional subjects. I feel very comfortable with property, criminal law, and torts, and pick up procedure very quickly.

Trust and Estates.. Family Law.. Evidence..

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:15 pm

I've taken Evidence; I had been considering both T & E and Family Law, so thanks for the input.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Take what you want to take- don't worry about the bar.

I had never taken trusts and estates, wills, family law, secured transactions, commercial paper, and a host of other bar subjects before taking the bar. Barbri taught me everything I needed to know.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 pm

nealric wrote:Take what you want to take- don't worry about the bar.

I had never taken trusts and estates, wills, family law, secured transactions, commercial paper, and a host of other bar subjects before taking the bar. Barbri taught me everything I needed to know.

but wouldn't you have needed to study less for the bar if you had taken those in school? I'm all about maximizing laziness

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:47 pm

TigerBeer wrote:

but wouldn't you have needed to study less for the bar if you had taken those in school? I'm all about maximizing laziness

Barbri = lazy; 3-4 credit class + outlining/exam prep + exam ≠ lazy

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
TigerBeer wrote:

Barbri = lazy; 3-4 credit class + outlining/exam prep + exam ≠ lazy

yeah, but if you didn't take family law or whatever, you'd have to take some other subject anyway. it's not like you get to just chill.

i'm just sayin, if you have to take SOME class to meet unit requirements anyway, wouldn't it be more efficient to take a class that fulfills two purposes simultaneously (getting units to graduate + studying for the bar)? not that i'm so married to the idea, those subjects sound boring as hell to me.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 am

Bar prep is onerous no matter what you've taken in school; if you aren't spending time on learning secured transactions for the first time, you are spending time memorizing the difference between first second, third, and fourth degree kidnapping under state law. Regardless, you spend the time and effort: there is no way to make the two months before the Bar enjoyable, but at least for most people (including those who don't take classes in law school aimed at the Bar) the bar prep classes and self study are enough.

On the other hand, spending a whole semester on classes that aren't interesting to you in the least is a way to make law school less enjoyable than it otherwise might be. Take a seminar or clinic you are interested in, or some upper level class that builds on something you've already taken and liked.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:54 am

Bar prep is onerous no matter what you've taken in school; if you aren't spending time on learning secured transactions for the first time, you are spending time memorizing the difference between first second, third, and fourth degree kidnapping under state law. Regardless, you spend the time and effort: there is no way to make the two months before the Bar enjoyable, but at least for most people (including those who don't take classes in law school aimed at the Bar) the bar prep classes and self study are enough.

On the other hand, spending a whole semester on classes that aren't interesting to you in the least is a way to make law school less enjoyable than it otherwise might be. Take a seminar or clinic you are interested in, or some upper level class that builds on something you've already taken and liked.

Well said.

I would also add that unless you go to a local school, it's unlikely that you are going to learn the state nuances you will need for the bar in class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”