analogical reasoning on exams?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kswiss

analogical reasoning on exams?

Postby kswiss » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:17 pm

My Civ Pro and Ks profs are heavy on the common law doctrinal stuff and pretty lax on the rules. 80% of my civpro class was personal jurisdiction, subject matter jurisdiction, and the Erie doctrine. Her only previous exam had a few questions about the actual rules but only in the multiple choice, and the main essay question was almost completely PJ/SMJ/Erie.

I'm wondering if I should use analogical reasoning in the main essay. It seems like it would probably be over and above the typical answer, but I don't know if it is worth the time to get familiar with the facts of each case so that I could successfully analogize. Right now I have a good grasp on the concepts and the rationales behind rules, outline is complete, open book, and I've been taking practice exams. It feels like I can answer the questions just fine without getting too into the cases by just applying the holdings, but I don't know if I should be concentrating and going over the top.

There is no model answer and the prof has been pretty sketchy as to what she expects.

solidsnake

Re: analogical reasoning on exams?

Postby solidsnake » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Cases/judicial opinions are there to help explain application of the rules and/or to carve out exceptions thereto for some reason or another. If your exam gives you a fact pattern that doesn't seem to fit into rule A or B, analogizing (from both sides) the hypo to cases you've read in class will help get you there. Reasoning by analogy is just one more tool in your arsenal (albeit a big one) to demonstrating your mastery of the material and tools of argumentation (translation: racking up points).

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:42 pm

betasteve wrote:No idea wtf you are talking about.

By analogical reasoning I mean talking about cases that we have studied and pointing out differences/similarities in the facts as reasons why the holding should/n't apply to the fact pattern.

Sorry for my horrible sentence writing.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:59 pm

kswiss wrote:

By analogical reasoning I mean talking about cases that we have studied and pointing out differences/similarities in the facts as reasons why the holding should/n't apply to the fact pattern.

This isn't over and above. This is what exam answers are supposed to do.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:02 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:
kswiss wrote:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:06 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:
kswiss wrote:

Right. You'll rarely get something on an exam that's exactly like a case you studied.

Wavelet

Postby Wavelet » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Depends very much on the professor. Also, analogical reasoning tends to be more important in some classes (Constitutional Law) than others (Criminal Law).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Wavelet wrote:Depends very much on the professor. Also, analogical reasoning tends to be more important in some classes (Constitutional Law) than others (Criminal Law).

My crim teacher puts a premium on this, FWIW.

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Wavelet wrote:Depends very much on the professor. Also, analogical reasoning tends to be more important in some classes (Constitutional Law) than others (Criminal Law).

i agree. and i feel civ pro is more like con law than crim in that respect.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”