Civ Pro E&E 6th (latest) Ed: what parts are out of date?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SeymourShowz

Civ Pro E&E 6th (latest) Ed: what parts are out of date?

Postby SeymourShowz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:57 am

The thread on supplements got me thinking about the areas in which the civ pro E&E is in need of an update. I thought it would be helpful to get a running list of the errors in the 6th edition for folks preparing for finals.

I can think of the following off the top of my head..

-It doesn't include Hertz Corp., so it lists the different tests for determining the domicile of a corporation for diversity purposes. Under Hertz, the only test that should be used is the "nerve center" test, typically the corporations headquarters.

-The section on amendments as a matter of course is wrong. 15(a)(1) must have been completely rewritten.

-In chapter 23, on 12(b)(6) motions, the book cites Conley in an explanation to example 4 as justification for a pretty vague complaint. Twombly isn't mentioned anywhere.

Anything else??

BriaTharen

Re: Civ Pro E&E 6th (latest) Ed: what parts are out of date?

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Civ Pro is a year long class for me, so all we are going to have for the final is IPJ, SMJ (and Diversity), SOP, and Venue. But right on about Hertz v. Friend. All we do is nerve center. Though, my professor had us read Hertz, but we didn't really discuss it except to say that all we do is nerve center test, so I'm wondering how many people are going to screw it up on the final because they read the (outdated) E&E.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:49 pm

BriaTharen wrote:Civ Pro is a year long class for me, so all we are going to have for the final is IPJ, SMJ (and Diversity), SOP, and Venue. But right on about Hertz v. Friend. All we do is nerve center. Though, my professor had us read Hertz, but we didn't really discuss it except to say that all we do is nerve center test, so I'm wondering how many people are going to screw it up on the final because they read the (outdated) E&E.

Only people who are dumb enough to break the first rule of law school exams - don't introduce material that your professor didn't cover.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:17 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:Civ Pro is a year long class for me, so all we are going to have for the final is IPJ, SMJ (and Diversity), SOP, and Venue. But right on about Hertz v. Friend. All we do is nerve center. Though, my professor had us read Hertz, but we didn't really discuss it except to say that all we do is nerve center test, so I'm wondering how many people are going to screw it up on the final because they read the (outdated) E&E.

Only people who are dumb enough to break the first rule of law school exams - don't introduce material that your professor didn't cover.

Exception- Unless your professor said you could. My Crim professor, who loves supplements, is down with us bringing in things we didn't go over in class, but isn't going to give any more points for it than something that was discussed in class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”