chirelstein vs. blum E&E

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

chirelstein vs. blum E&E

Postby AntiHuman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:51 am

I'm kind of on time constraints right now..but I'll do whatever I can do understand the material. I don't understand anything in the casebook or what the professor goes on in class. Should I go through both chirelstein(the boat on the cover) and Blum? Is one better than the other? I have about 2 weeks till my final. I heard chirelstein has everything u need to know and I should read only that if I'm on time constraints. Thoughts? I don't mind reading both though in order to maximize my understanding.

Re: chirelstein vs. blum E&E

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:41 am

Chirelstein is great to get a basic overview, but it is by no means enough if you aren't understanding anything. Definitely go for Blum's E&E and go directly to the chapters that cover what your professor/class is going over. Don't bother starting at the beginning (Blum writes the E&E like he is writing a treatise, so unless your prof likes that kind of stuff, there's a whole bunch about the history of contract law that you probably aren't going to need).

Chirelstein will give you big picture, but E&E is better for comprehensive knowledge.

Postby Wavelet » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:10 am

Chirelstein is excellent for what it covers--he's clear and relatively easy to read. The problem is his coverage is not complete (and he admits as much); there will likely be topics you'll have to know for the test that the book won't cover.

Blum is kind of the opposite. He's very thorough and complete--probably too thorough. And a lot of his explanations are unnecessarily tedious and verbose.

My advice: read through Chirelstein and afterwards see if there are major topics in your syllabus you still don't understand. Consult Blum (or hell, use a hornbook) for those missing topics.

Postby Omerta » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:04 pm

I read both. They're both great, but it depends on what kind of a problem you're having. Contracts was my weakest class by a significant margin. Early on, I had issues with the big picture; when there was enough stuff to trigger acceptance and why the law looked for the things it did. Later on, I realized I didn't have more than a shallow understanding of the material. Chirlestein is the answer to big picture concerns. Blum is more set around buttressing what you already know.

I spent my Thanksgiving break reading through Blum (all of it) and I think it's incredible. First, my teacher wasn't particularly amazing at teaching. Second, Blum gives a lot of PP/big picture reasons in favor/against enforcement in the E&E and his answers parallel my teacher's style. If you have a problem with Contracts in general I can't recommend this book enough. It took me about 2.5 days of serious studying to get through the entire thing (it's like 750 pages). If you have two weeks before contracts, I'd say put the time in with Blum unless you have significant concerns with your other classes.

IMO Blum is a basically a well-written hornbook

Postby wiseowl » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Definitely read Chirelstein. It would be difficult not to get median afterwards, and in all honesty if you truly understand nothing on Nov. 28, that may be the best case scenario for you.

I found Blum difficult to deal with.

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:31 pm

The Farnsworth hornbook is very useful, too; though I would use that more to clear up specifc areas you are unsure about than to go cover to cover.

Postby kswiss » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:37 pm

I agree...Farnsworth was better than Blum in my opinion. I read Chirelstein to get an overview of a section before we get into it in class, and I find that it is really helpful in the areas that it covers. The first chapter is one of the best summaries of a part of the law that I have read...if you're clueless I'd start there. If I had only 1 Ks supplement it would be Farnsworth though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”