HELP! Please (I'm begging)...Civil Procedure cases Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jbarl1

Silver

HELP! Please (I'm begging)...Civil Procedure cases

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:14 pm

I am having the worst time with Civil Procedure. I know it is late in the semester, but I need some help. My professor gave us a list of 18 cases we need to know really well for the final and I was hoping that some people would be willing to share any summaries, notes or anything else they have on these cases. My professor says we need to know the basic issue and what came out of the case, so basically why it is important to Civ Pro. I have read all of the cases and have notes on them, I was just hoping that some others would be willing to share so that I can supplement what I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the cases:

Conley v. Gibson
Bell Atlantic v. Twombly
Hickman v. Taylor
Owen Equipment v. Kroger
Marek v. Chesny
Celotex Corp. v. Catrett
Parklane Hosiery v. Shore
Pennoyer v. Neff
Int'l Shoe Co. v. Washington
Shaffer v. Heitner
World-Wide Volkswagen Corp. v. Woodson
Burnham v. Superior Court
Carnival Cruise Lines, Inc. v. Shute
Piper Aircraft v. Reyno
Louisville & Nashville Railroad Co. v. Mottley
Swift v. Tyson
Erie Railroad v. Tompkins
Hansberry v. Lee

king3780

Bronze

Re: HELP! Please (I'm begging)...Civil Procedure cases

Post by king3780 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:18 pm

jbarl1 wrote:I am having the worst time with Civil Procedure. I know it is late in the semester, but I need some help. My professor gave us a list of 18 cases we need to know really well for the final and I was hoping that some people would be willing to share any summaries, notes or anything else they have on these cases. My professor says we need to know the basic issue and what came out of the case, so basically why it is important to Civ Pro. I have read all of the cases and have notes on them, I was just hoping that some others would be willing to share so that I can supplement what I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the cases:

Conley v. Gibson
Bell Atlantic v. Twombly
Hickman v. Taylor
Owen Equipment v. Kroger
Marek v. Chesny
Celotex Corp. v. Catrett
Pennoyer v. Neff
Shaffer v. Heitner
Piper Aircraft v. Reyno
Swift v. Tyson
Hansberry v. Lee
http://www.ecasebriefs.com/blog/categor ... procedure/
Also, do you have the E&E? That will help you understand why these cases are relevant... it's about more than just what each case means individually, but how they all tie together.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:19 pm

king3780 wrote: http://www.ecasebriefs.com/blog/categor ... procedure/
Also, do you have the E&E? That will help you understand why these cases are relevant... it's about more than just what each case means individually, but how they all tie together.
The Civ Pro E&E is wonderful.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm

king3780 wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:I am having the worst time with Civil Procedure. I know it is late in the semester, but I need some help. My professor gave us a list of 18 cases we need to know really well for the final and I was hoping that some people would be willing to share any summaries, notes or anything else they have on these cases. My professor says we need to know the basic issue and what came out of the case, so basically why it is important to Civ Pro. I have read all of the cases and have notes on them, I was just hoping that some others would be willing to share so that I can supplement what I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the cases:

Conley v. Gibson
Bell Atlantic v. Twombly
Hickman v. Taylor
Owen Equipment v. Kroger
Marek v. Chesny
Celotex Corp. v. Catrett
Pennoyer v. Neff
Shaffer v. Heitner
Piper Aircraft v. Reyno
Swift v. Tyson
Hansberry v. Lee
http://www.ecasebriefs.com/blog/categor ... procedure/
I have Glannon's 4th Edition Civ Pro E&E...I'm not really sure how to utilize it, any tips at this point in the semester?

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Also, I can't have a full outline for my test, which really freaks me out. I can have my FRCP and anything I can hand write in the FRCP margins.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:25 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Also, I can't have a full outline for my test, which really freaks me out. I can have my FRCP and anything I can hand write in the FRCP margins.
You can fit an outline in the FRCP margins.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:31 pm

I just mean I can't have a typed 60-70 page outline, I plan to fill all the space I can, I'm just looking for some help. If anyone has any outlines they would be willing to share, please let me know and I will PM you my email address.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:31 pm

these are major cases, many of which i still remember. so i don't think it's a big issue. i assume you know what happened in the cases and what they were about. these cases just tell you how the rules work. have you looked through his exams? i don't think he'll ask you to recite a case. i guess though that civ pro is more con law like in that the cases we read are from scotus and super important. i am going to assume that if you briefed, took note, and were generally a semi alert student, then you probably know a lot of the facts already. so if you see hypo, then be prepared to ID the case(s) that the hypo is getting at, and be prepared to argue that it's similar to X but these facts might differentiate it from X (or make it more like Y) and then start speculating/arguing. for example, let's say it's a PJ issue. you want to go to burger king (sometimes called bk two step) which kind of consolidates all the shitty rules of PJ. then hit shoe, vw, hanson, whatever warrants it. probably all as many civ pro exams have huge PJ questions. if there's a foreign corporation then bring in asahi or maybe helicopteros if you're talking general jdx. bottom line is know the facts so that you can contrast them and be able to argue that the reasoning in case x might not apply because facts a b c. just my two cents.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:36 pm

joobacca wrote:these are major cases, many of which i still remember. so i don't think it's a big issue. i assume you know what happened in the cases and what they were about. these cases just tell you how the rules work. have you looked through his exams? i don't think he'll ask you to recite a case. i guess though that civ pro is more con law like in that the cases we read are from scotus and super important. i am going to assume that if you briefed, took note, and were generally a semi alert student, then you probably know a lot of the facts already. so if you see hypo, then be prepared to ID the case(s) that the hypo is getting at, and be prepared to argue that it's similar to X but these facts might differentiate it from X (or make it more like Y) and then start speculating/arguing. for example, let's say it's a PJ issue. you want to go to burger king (sometimes called bk two step) which kind of consolidates all the shitty rules of PJ. then hit shoe, vw, hanson, whatever warrants it. probably all as many civ pro exams have huge PJ questions. if there's a foreign corporation then bring in asahi or maybe helicopteros if you're talking general jdx. bottom line is know the facts so that you can contrast them and be able to argue that the reasoning in case x might not apply because facts a b c. just my two cents.
Thanks

None of my professors are allowing us access to any old exams so all I have to go on really is this case list.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
joobacca wrote:these are major cases, many of which i still remember. so i don't think it's a big issue. i assume you know what happened in the cases and what they were about. these cases just tell you how the rules work. have you looked through his exams? i don't think he'll ask you to recite a case. i guess though that civ pro is more con law like in that the cases we read are from scotus and super important. i am going to assume that if you briefed, took note, and were generally a semi alert student, then you probably know a lot of the facts already. so if you see hypo, then be prepared to ID the case(s) that the hypo is getting at, and be prepared to argue that it's similar to X but these facts might differentiate it from X (or make it more like Y) and then start speculating/arguing. for example, let's say it's a PJ issue. you want to go to burger king (sometimes called bk two step) which kind of consolidates all the shitty rules of PJ. then hit shoe, vw, hanson, whatever warrants it. probably all as many civ pro exams have huge PJ questions. if there's a foreign corporation then bring in asahi or maybe helicopteros if you're talking general jdx. bottom line is know the facts so that you can contrast them and be able to argue that the reasoning in case x might not apply because facts a b c. just my two cents.
Thanks

None of my professors are allowing us access to any old exams so all I have to go on really is this case list.
Your professors suck.

One thing I would advise is sitting down with a classmate to come up with hypos and then work through each other's. That's what I'll be doing with 2 classes, as those professors are relatively new so they don't have tests on file.

Edit: After finishing outlines of course.
Last edited by OGR3 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 pm

jbarl1 wrote: None of my professors are allowing us access to any old exams so all I have to go on really is this case list.
one last thing. professors are borderline full of shit, in my opinion. my experience tells me that they play a lot of cat and mouse/hiding the ball type of games. why? maybe if they tell you all the tricks then they can't design an exam that will differentiate folks? i'm not sure. but, without knowing anything about your professor, i wouldn't just think that list is something important. you're going to know those cases, and probably a lot of the other cases you might have read. don't lose focus on exam taking "skills." i feel like there's a good chance that this is a standard 1L civ pro class with a standard 1L civ pro exam.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:00 pm

I guess I am just feeling overwhelmed by the subject and really don't even know how to begin annotating my FRCP in a way that will be helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”