Considering dropping out of law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Re: Considering dropping out of law school

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I've LOLed at about three of the responses to OP. Anyways, OP, don't drop out. You need to give your classmates some curve cushion.

soda mayor

Postby soda mayor » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:39 am

you know who dropped out of law school?

Bernie madoff

and he still made some sweet bank...

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:40 am

soda mayor wrote:you know who dropped out of law school?

Bernie madoff

and he still made some sweet bank...

Two words:

Surprise Buttsecks.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:49 am

I noticed the same thing an earlier poster did... there is an inverse correlation between reasonableness of the advice and number of posts of the poster

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:34 am

worldtraveler wrote:The research point is irrelevant. You can research it all you want and still not end up understanding just what it's like until you're in it, and it's not for everyone.

Nothing he listed as reasons for dropping out is something you discover in school. It's all stuff you should do before signing on the dotted line.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:57 am

Total Litigator wrote:I noticed the same thing an earlier poster did... there is an inverse correlation between reasonableness of the advice and number of posts of the poster

The longer you've been here, the more stupidity you've seen; and the more you bust your ass doing research, the harder it is to be patient with someone who hasn't done their due diligence. Moreover, it's completely retarded to be asking someone to make a major life decision for you based only on a few facts. Is his MBA going to be from Texas, or from Idaho? Is he dropping out of Illinois, or is he dropping out of Tulane? What are his actual career goals if he quits law school? What would his career goals be if he stays in law school? Does he realize that work/life balance is hard to maintain if you want to be successful at damn near anything, not just law?

So you can play 20 questions, or you can not.

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Asking questions on here is doing due diligence.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:23 pm

spondee wrote:Asking questions on here is doing due diligence.

No. Doing a search on the site for the information before you do something is due diligence.

Doing it after is just an attempt to get people to feel sorry for you.

HTH

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:24 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

No. Doing a search on the site for the information before you do something is due diligence.

HTH

What makes doing a search better than asking a question?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:29 pm

spondee wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

HTH

--ImageRemoved--

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:32 pm

spondee wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

HTH

Good job. You totally convinced me I need a drink at noon.

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:32 pm

No, really, I'm honestly asking. It's often repeated on here to use the search before asking a question. I don't get it - what makes doing a search better than asking a question?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:35 pm

spondee wrote:No, really, I'm honestly asking. It's often repeated on here to use the search before asking a question. I don't get it - what makes doing a search better than asking a question?

One is where you put in the effort and find out the answer. The other is where you put in relatively a lot less effort and get other people to answer. It's like asking, what is the difference between reading a newspaper article myself vs. having a friend summarize it for me.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I had a conversation with the OP via PM that I hope was helpful to him.

I will agree at this point with the idea that folks who have been here longer (myself included) will often forget how little new people know and why it's not the best idea to just slap them around like they're fools when they ask what we've learned to perceive as dumb questions. People who don't know better are the ones who need the most help, and the fact that they dug the hole for themselves isn't a good reason to not help them climb back out when they ask for advice.

We've all grown bitter ITE, since it's made things so much more competitive and pulled back the curtain on the oversupply problem. These people aren't just part of the problem, though, they're also human beings who realize their mistakes and are asking for our help. It's easy to bash people on the Internet, but I plea for more compassion toward these folks, especially since they are being smart enough to at least ask now.

Also, this is a forum. It's designed as a place for people to ask questions. We're looking into supplementing it with things like a wiki that could make finding information much easier, but given the huge disorganized mess that the forums are and how hard it could be to find something that applies directly to your problem, sometimes asking is easier. OP wasn't asking something simple like "What does ITE mean?" so I don't quite see the problem with posting and asking for help.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:43 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I had a conversation with the OP via PM that I hope was helpful to him.

I will agree at this point with the idea that folks who have been here longer (myself included) will often forget how little new people know and why it's not the best idea to just slap them around like they're fools when they ask what we've learned to perceive as dumb questions. People who don't know better are the ones who need the most help, and the fact that they dug the hole for themselves isn't a good reason to not help them climb back out when they ask for advice.

We've all grown bitter ITE, since it's made things so much more competitive and pulled back the curtain on the oversupply problem. These people aren't just part of the problem, though, they're also human beings who realize their mistakes and are asking for our help. It's easy to bash people on the Internet, but I plea for more compassion toward these folks, especially since they are being smart enough to at least ask now.

Also, this is a forum. It's designed as a place for people to ask questions. We're looking into supplementing it with things like a wiki that could make finding information much easier, but given the huge disorganized mess that the forums are and how hard it could be to find something that applies directly to your problem, sometimes asking is easier. OP wasn't asking something simple like "What does ITE mean?" so I don't quite see the problem with posting and asking for help.

+1 for being reasonable instead of dumbasses

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:49 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I had a conversation with the OP via PM that I hope was helpful to him.

Thank you for posting this. And well said. This is what I was getting at - but I didn't have the currency on here to say it myself.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:54 pm

To the OP- You didn't look before you leaped. That's over and done with, so looking on to the future.

Like many other posters have said, it is easy to want to quit when you are stressed out. Before you drop out, I personally think you should wait until after the 1L year, but that is just me. BUT, what you absolutely must do this time before you just pull out of LS is DO YOUR RESEARCH. Look into the MBA/Info Tech programs you were talking about, talk to someone who has that career, find out what the usual hours are and what their salary is. Don't just rely on a statistic. Actually talk to someone, find out about their job satisfaction.

Law is not for everyone, and better to determine that now then after three years. But this time you need to do your research before you make the jump.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:05 pm

BriaTharen wrote:To the OP- You didn't look before you leaped. That's over and done with, so looking on to the future.

Like many other posters have said, it is easy to want to quit when you are stressed out. Before you drop out, I personally think you should wait until after the 1L year, but that is just me. BUT, what you absolutely must do this time before you just pull out of LS is DO YOUR RESEARCH. Look into the MBA/Info Tech programs you were talking about, talk to someone who has that career, find out what the usual hours are and what their salary is. Don't just rely on a statistic. Actually talk to someone, find out about their job satisfaction.

Law is not for everyone, and better to determine that now then after three years. But this time you need to do your research before you make the jump.

Before doing an MBA with a concentration in IT, I would urge the OP to work in the field for a period to really, really make sure that's what he wants to do.

Just like getting a JD could land you in a doc-review, getting an MBA with IT concentration can land you in a helpdesk position.

chup

Postby chup » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:23 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:I noticed the same thing an earlier poster did... there is an inverse correlation between reasonableness of the advice and number of posts of the poster

The longer you've been here, the more stupidity you've seen; and the more you bust your ass doing research, the harder it is to be patient with someone who hasn't done their due diligence. Moreover, it's completely retarded to be asking someone to make a major life decision for you based only on a few facts. Is his MBA going to be from Texas, or from Idaho? Is he dropping out of Illinois, or is he dropping out of Tulane? What are his actual career goals if he quits law school? What would his career goals be if he stays in law school? Does he realize that work/life balance is hard to maintain if you want to be successful at damn near anything, not just law?

So you can play 20 questions, or you can not.

This. Though I suppose vanwinkle is credited as well.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:31 pm

chup wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:The longer you've been here, the more stupidity you've seen; and the more you bust your ass doing research, the harder it is to be patient with someone who hasn't done their due diligence.

This.

But if you can't be patient with such people, that doesn't justify being both hostile and unhelpful toward them. You can just choose not to respond, and leave it to people who do have such patience. Your own impatience is a good reason to stay out of something, but it's certainly not a justification for lashing out at folks who legitimately want help.

chup

Postby chup » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
chup wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:The longer you've been here, the more stupidity you've seen; and the more you bust your ass doing research, the harder it is to be patient with someone who hasn't done their due diligence.

This.

But if you can't be patient with such people, that doesn't justify being both hostile and unhelpful toward them. You can just choose not to respond, and leave it to people who do have such patience. Your own impatience is a good reason to stay out of something, but it's certainly not a justification for lashing out at folks who legitimately want help.

Yeah, that's why I said your response was credited as well. Don't be greedy.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:34 pm

chup wrote:Yeah, that's why I said your response was credited as well. Don't be greedy.

Sorry, you must have edited that on while I was replying.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:38 pm

its not really a matter of you should have done this, or that now. The guy is obviously desperate and in search of some help. Its not like he can decide not to pay back his loans, he has to pay them back some way or another. Either way, its a good reminder to think long and hard if you want to do this or not. Even still, you may end up not enjoying it, even if you had experience in a law firm.

I just think that since hes flailing for help and unsure, the best thing would be to step back from it all, settle down the nerves, then decide what to do next. Jumping from one degree program to another could result in nothiing more than an increased debt load. Or he could choose to go back to school, once he gets his stress management tactics better.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:41 pm

So a year from now will OP make a post on Top Business Schools saying that s/he wants to drop out of business school because it is not what s/he thought it was based on his/her limited research of its intricacies?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:32 pm

My response and attitude would be completely different if the OP had had some kind of revelation about something that can only be discovered after starting law school. But not only is everything listed readily discoverable well before school, it's not exactly hidden information. In fact, it's very well publicized information. Before spending tens of thousands of dollars, or in some cases well over a hundred thousand, you should probably do at least the barest hint of research. Which, if the OP had done at all, he would have found out in very short order.

Therefore, I really can't muster any sympathy at all for him.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”