Outlining Discovery? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Geist13

Silver

Outlining Discovery?

Post by Geist13 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:33 pm

For those of you did Discovery in Civ Pro, how are you going about organizing the material? I have a way to attack issues of scope (Does a request fit under Rule 26(b)(1); and Is there an available privilege/exception to scope?). But when it comes to organizing the methods of discovery and the other miscellaneous rules I'm not sure what to do besides just listing the rules, and relevant policies which doesn't work for me in terms of learning the material.

What is everyone else doing for discovery?

mmmadeli

New

Re: Outlining Discovery?

Post by mmmadeli » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 pm

I thought this was going to be a discovery about outlining.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:07 pm

In my class, we went over discovery in one day, and we focused very little on the rules. Focused much more on the discovery tools themselves, the values of them, how they can be manipulated by parties, and the balancing act that results from the whole process. I'm just making a list of the various discovery devices, the biggest discovery pitfalls (with the relevant cases), etc.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:34 pm

dakatz wrote:In my class, we went over discovery in one day, and we focused very little on the rules. Focused much more on the discovery tools themselves, the values of them, how they can be manipulated by parties, and the balancing act that results from the whole process. I'm just making a list of the various discovery devices, the biggest discovery pitfalls (with the relevant cases), etc.
spent two weeks (at least). The most bored I've been in law school.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:35 pm

Geist13 wrote:
dakatz wrote:In my class, we went over discovery in one day, and we focused very little on the rules. Focused much more on the discovery tools themselves, the values of them, how they can be manipulated by parties, and the balancing act that results from the whole process. I'm just making a list of the various discovery devices, the biggest discovery pitfalls (with the relevant cases), etc.
spent two weeks (at least). The most bored I've been in law school.
Damn, my discovery day was probably among the best days of the semester. Our guy told us a bunch of funny war stories from his days in private practice. But then again, our entire class has been a bit against the grain. Did Pennoyer in 20 min, spent under one week on personal jurisdiction, etc. Hell, we spent nearly the first 2 weeks on due process, which typically isn't covered in a civ pro course.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”