mentally exhausted [venting]

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gwuorbust

Re: mentally exhausted [venting]

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:17 pm

IAFG wrote:Retitle "why you should not set yourself up for a commute during 1L" and sticky. People underestimate the commute timesuck.

hell, I hate my 6 minute bike to school. if I had to commute like ~45mins I'd /self.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:24 pm

I can make the drive to my school in 3 minutes. 8)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
IAFG wrote:Retitle "why you should not set yourself up for a commute during 1L" and sticky. People underestimate the commute timesuck.

hell, I hate my 6 minute bike to school. if I had to commute like ~45mins I'd /self.

I would hate to live even one more block away. It isn't that I spend every second working (obviously I am posting right now) I just really resent any imposition on my time.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:08 pm

2 weeks until my first final, spent 5 hours on a date with a girl tonight. Feel kinda guilty, it's not like I couldn't have gotten to know her after finals.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:05 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Also file under 0L prep--> exhaustion at key point in 1L year.

yeah man, this time last year was when i was just starting to really kick it into gear. I felt great, like i was going into a prizefight. take a day off, have a couple beers, wake-up reinvigorated. this has finals flameout written all over it.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:10 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:Also file under 0L prep--> exhaustion at key point in 1L year.

yeah man, this time last year was when i was just starting to really kick it into gear. I felt great, like i was going into a prizefight. take a day off, have a couple beers, wake-up reinvigorated. this has finals flameout written all over it.

That's really comforting honestly. I just came out of a couple of days of light studying to prevent burnout. Ready to go all out for the next few days and enjoy my Thanksgiving.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:17 am

To be fair to goosey, I'm both sick (cold) and tired and I did no 0L prep. I think it's more just "that time of year". Pretty much everyone in my section looked like crap today (our memos were due this morning). At least for me, it's nothing a few days at home, a good night's sleep and some sudafed won't cure :).

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:43 am

I'm surprised at how many people I talk to have yet to start outlining, and I'm right there with them. Not sure what my point is, except that I hope it's some comfort that you are absolutely miles ahead of people like me. It's ok to take a breather and recover your energy for the home stretch.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:57 am

i hope everyone burns out. I'm just getting started on my shit

zanda

Postby zanda » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:06 am

clintonius wrote:I'm surprised at how many people I talk to have yet to start outlining, and I'm right there with them. Not sure what my point is, except that I hope it's some comfort that you are absolutely miles ahead of people like me. It's ok to take a breather and recover your energy for the home stretch.

2L here. I didn't start outlining until just before TG last year. I was only slightly above median, but some classmates who also didn't start until around TG did much better. It really seems like people have a way of anticipating what works for them.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:06 am

I feel you, OP. But it will soon be over (which may or may not be comforting).

By the way, early Flu vaccine for the win.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:17 am

$$$$$$ wrote:i hope everyone burns out. I'm just getting started on my shit

Not happening, especially with my regular workout routine and the fact that my group member's dog's presence in our study area relieves any feelings of stress or depression. :)

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:34 pm

yeah..I need to work out every day--I didnt work out all week last week because I felt like I had too much to do but I probably should have, because its really good stress relief. I think I probably felt overall more mentally well when I was exercising daily. One of the main issues is that I dont dorm, so I dont have non-school interaction while at school...and then I commute and by the time I get home I dont have the energy to even speak to anyone, so I dont have non-school interaction there either. I am the type that gets really lonely and depressed without family or some type of substitute for family in my life--and I basically just think I am lonely. And that working for long stretches in the a dimly lit library compounds that feeling.

I feel ahead in some aspects..I'm definitely spending more time on writing out exam answers than people around me may be, but I think in the end you either have it or you don't--and no amount of outlining and practice will make you do great if you are among the unfortunate that dont.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:39 pm

goosey wrote:yeah..I need to work out every day--I didnt work out all week last week because I felt like I had too much to do but I probably should have, because its really good stress relief. I think I probably felt overall more mentally well when I was exercising daily. One of the main issues is that I dont dorm, so I dont have non-school interaction while at school...and then I commute and by the time I get home I dont have the energy to even speak to anyone, so I dont have non-school interaction there either. I am the type that gets really lonely and depressed without family or some type of substitute for family in my life--and I basically just think I am lonely. And that working for long stretches in the a dimly lit library compounds that feeling.

I feel ahead in some aspects..I'm definitely spending more time on writing out exam answers than people around me may be, but I think in the end you either have it or you don't--and no amount of outlining and practice will make you do great if you are among the unfortunate that dont.

you need to adjust your attitude. it's like a boxing match and every exam is an opponent. you need to throttle the shit out of those exams and make them bleed. outlining isn't to learn so much as it is packing for battle. you need to find some viciousness.

also, it doesn't matter what other people are or aren't doing. that is a terrible way to think about it. a -0 180 isn't worried about the curve.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Glad to see you're ahead of the curve.

Just take a few minutes every 2 hours to relax, listen to some music. Exercising every now and then helps a lot. I remember waking up one morning feeling extremely stressed. About 45 minutes in the gym blew it all off and made me relaxed and composed for the rest of the day.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”