Missing class at the end of the semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stocksly33

Missing class at the end of the semester

Postby stocksly33 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:04 am

Anyone thinking about missing classes to study longer hours?

I'm starting to feel like working hypos/reviewing is more important than classes at this point.

Rico Suave

Re: Missing class at the end of the semester

Postby Rico Suave » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:05 am

Good idea. What your professor says in class isn't at all helpful on the exams.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 am

Rico Suave wrote:Good idea. What your professor says in class isn't at all helpful on the exams.

well played

There are only two reasons to ever miss class:
1) hangover
2) nap running long

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:42 am

Rico Suave wrote:Good idea. What your professor says in class isn't at all helpful on the exams.

This isn't gospel. It depends on the class. I've skipped over 50% of classes before and still got As/A+s and not cause i'm some genius; I just know how to study for finals and take exams. You have to decide whether you have that ability and it's the right class for it.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:56 am

two things

1) missing class isn't a big deal
2) the extra few hours you get to study by missing class isn't that meaningful, either.

so false dichotomy, or you seriously overestimate how much shit there is to learn

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:06 am

I would say some classes aren't worth going to.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Might as well go to class. The way I see it, a couple hours here and there where the professor drops random tidbits here and there shouldn't hurt.

Besides, I like going to my crim law class. The prof's simply awesome.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm not saying class isn't important. It's a balancing question.

My reasoning is that we've covered over 90% of the material. Driving to class and being at school takes up about 5 hours of my day. I can outline 2 PTs in that time. I feel like working 2 PTs is more helpful than going to class, given there's only 2.5 weeks to exams.

And for most of my classes, I'm at the point where I'm extracting nearly all of the what the prof emphasizes before going to class.

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:33 pm

I would argue the last few weeks of classes are the ones you can't afford to miss.

Mainly because a lot of professors over-estimate how quickly they can teach, so they end up having to cover a lot of things in the last few classes. Not to mention the fact that many professors leave what they consider to be the most important materials, or at least things that can really synthesis what they've been lecturing the entire semester, for the last few weeks of classes.

And really, you should have factored in the distance problem during your 0L summer. There's a statistics out there somewhere that said there is a positive correlation between people who close to the law school and people with good grades. Then again, they also say the same thing about sitting near the front in classrooms, so who knows.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

I would definitely not stop going. I had a professor who focused the vast part of the exam around material we learned the last week of class. Had I been banking on not being tested on that material it would have been bad news bears. My personal experience has been professors almost always will put something from the last few classes on the exam to award those who continue to take class seriously - don't let yourself miss easy points.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Nice handle and avatar. lol
I didn't think I'd see that guy ever again.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:30 pm

My profs seem to be winding down on the material. In torts, we're only covering intentional torts... which isn't difficult material. And one of my other classes, my prof is skimming over the material an she said we only need a broad understanding of the material.

I wouldn't miss if I thought material would be important. And I'm not thinking of missing all of the classes... just these over t-giving break.

anyways, thanks to all for the perspective.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:19 pm

You're the best judge of this, not a bunch of strangers. We've covered about 95% of what's gonna be on the final in crim, while our contracts professor left all the hardest concepts for the end.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:00 pm

..not to mention, I have noticed all my professor's suddenly started dropping exam tips and hints...like "you'll def see that on the exam!" and basically what they want from us generally.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Skipping crim, not skipping anything else.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:38 pm

yeah, you guys convinced me. i'm not gonna skip.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”