When should we have all our outlines memorized by Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
zeth006

Silver

When should we have all our outlines memorized by

Post by zeth006 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Hey all,

Just have a question. I'm halfway through memorizing my crim outline and just finished my contracts outline. I'm planning to start on my civ pro outline either later today or tomorrow morning.

I'm just curious. Should I already be done with 2nd outline, or will I realistically still have a lot of time by early December to memorize mt outlines and do a few practice tests?

JazzOne

Gold

Re: When should we have all our outlines memorized by

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:27 pm

zeth006 wrote:Hey all,

Just have a question. I'm halfway through memorizing my crim outline and just finished my contracts outline. I'm planning to start on my civ pro outline either later today or tomorrow morning.

I'm just curious. Should I already be done with 2nd outline, or will I realistically still have a lot of time by early December to memorize mt outlines and do a few practice tests?
Oh God I don't miss 1L. The earlier the better, I guess. Keep going over them until the exam.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

JazzOne wrote:

Oh God I don't miss 1L. The earlier the better, I guess. Keep going over them until the exam.
Just keep going, I guess?

BTW, isn't 2L and 3L year equally time-consuming if not more so? I know that by 2L, everyone's figured out how to read cases quickly, read canned briefs, and all in all just economize time. Aren't you guys still under pressure to meet deadlines and such? One 2L I've been talking to hasn't gone out in a long time. She TAs, does journal, and works i think.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:44 pm

zeth006 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

BTW, isn't 2L and 3L year equally time-consuming if not more so? I know that by 2L, everyone's figured out how to read cases quickly, read canned briefs, and all in all just economize time. Aren't you guys still under pressure to meet deadlines and such? One 2L I've been talking to hasn't gone out in a long time. She TAs, does journal, and works i think.
thats prob why. id imagine most dont do all 3.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:45 pm

dude wtf are you doing memorizing shit now

memorization should only be down the day or two days before, at least the sort of memorization I'm thinking of (mneumonics)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:47 pm

zeth006 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Before I got my job offer, I was too stressed to worry about school. Now that I have a job offer, I'm too happy to worry about school.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Borhas wrote:

memorization should only be down the day or two days before, at least the sort of memorization I'm thinking of (mneumonics)
Gotta know the elements of the criminal offenses before I can spot the issues. I was (somewhat) proud of myself for spotting most of the issues on a sample crim exam, but I fumbled around a lot to pick out the elements. My goal is to be able to walk into the exam without having to glance at my outline more than a couple of times.

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:02 pm

My exams start December 1, I am trying to memorize stuff for Torts right now and slowly work through practice exams w/ my outline by my side. I think my teacher expects us to recite the Restatement word for word. Which means I have to memorize factors for standard of care and stuff like that. Also, I don't get to use my outline on any of my exams, FML.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:05 pm

betasteve wrote:There's a lot of shit to do... but there isn't the pressure on it.
TBF, I felt more pressure at OCI than I did during 1L. It's just that big firm hiring is mostly over, so the stressful part of the year is pretty much over. There is a lot less pressure on grades this year since I have little interest in clerking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:07 pm

zeth006 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Gotta know the elements of the criminal offenses before I can spot the issues. I was (somewhat) proud of myself for spotting most of the issues on a sample crim exam, but I fumbled around a lot to pick out the elements. My goal is to be able to walk into the exam without having to glance at my outline more than a couple of times.
ahh I see... I was thinking of all out memorization as distinct from just knowing the stuff (if that makes sense)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Memorize when you have a closed book exam, or a race horse exam that has a lot of elements to recite (generally crim law, torts). Otherwise, have a one page checklist, tab your outline, and read it a few times through.

That's my strategy...

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Memorize when you have a closed book exam, or a race horse exam that has a lot of elements to recite (generally crim law, torts). Otherwise, have a one page checklist, tab your outline, and read it a few times through.

That's my strategy...
Yeah. Sounds about right. My crim exam's going to be one long horse race.

But no way on Earth I'm memorizing everything for contracts and Civ Pro, especially when the prof for the contracts class crammed two semester's worth of cases and rules into one.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Borhas wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

ahh I see... I was thinking of all out memorization as distinct from just knowing the stuff (if that makes sense)
I see what you mean. I'm going to have a hell of a time reviewing and going over an entire semester's worth of Civ Pro stuff this week. Probably make my own mini-check list by Thanksgiving. Even thinking about memorization is going to be a total joke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:14 pm

JazzOne wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Before I got my job offer, I was too stressed to worry about school. Now that I have a job offer, I'm too happy to worry about school.

:lol:

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:21 pm

I have my entire 2L year outlined and memorized already. Working on 3L pretty soon, had 1L done like 6 months ago...

Allitigator

New

Post by Allitigator » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 am

You should be memorizing and outlining all the way through the semester until you are 1.5 months from finals. At around the 1.5 or 2 month mark from finals, read ahead, and begin memorizing so that you apply the law effortlessly during finals.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 am

This thread gave me a panic attack.

/starts outlining

;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 am

betasteve wrote:
mths wrote:This thread gave me a panic attack.

/starts outlining

;)
You feel special being about to post in this forum now, don't you?
I have no idea what you're talking about....but while we're on the subject, let me impart the infinite wisdom that I feel I've gained in the last 2.5 months of law school (which is clearly more than adequate)....

no good?

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:34 am

like.. memorize memorize? i dunno... a week max before your exams?

Just going through the process of making an outline then whittling it down means that you're already memorizing the parts you whittled out, no?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:52 am

dudnaito wrote:like.. memorize memorize? i dunno... a week max before your exams?
No, like not memorize memorize :?:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”