law firm partner salaries Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: law firm partner salaries

Post by ResolutePear » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:25 pm

PSUdevon wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Placrates wrote:Interesting thread here. There are a remarkable number of similarities between this thread and those I see on banking forums yet the way you guys argue with each other is quite different. I guess its the 4 years of law school :D

Now as someone who has spent a few years on Wall Street and is considering a move to law, it is startling the differences I can spot. For comparison, the fresh college grad who works for me will make 150k or so before taxes while a 2nd and 3rd year out of college will make anywhere from 150-250k / year. While the work they're doing is infinitely less impactful I'm sure than any of the lawyers I deal with (although some are truly duds as well), really makes me question my decision to pursue law.

If you guys are all here debating pay, why not go be a lawyer at an IBank or Corporate? In-house counsel at investment banks get paid quite well ....
You don't belong here.
He could be PT?

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Placrates wrote:Interesting thread here. There are a remarkable number of similarities between this thread and those I see on banking forums yet the way you guys argue with each other is quite different. I guess its the 4 years of law school :D

Now as someone who has spent a few years on Wall Street and is considering a move to law, it is startling the differences I can spot. For comparison, the fresh college grad who works for me will make 150k or so before taxes while a 2nd and 3rd year out of college will make anywhere from 150-250k / year. While the work they're doing is infinitely less impactful I'm sure than any of the lawyers I deal with (although some are truly duds as well), really makes me question my decision to pursue law.

If you guys are all here debating pay, why not go be a lawyer at an IBank or Corporate? In-house counsel at investment banks get paid quite well ....
You don't belong here.
He could be PT?
Ah. I need to read more carefully.

Placrates

New

Post by Placrates » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:29 am

Wrote that real late - meant to write 3 years :P Sorry

What's a PT?

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:56 pm

PT = Part Time

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Dont know if this thread was necroed or not, but there is also a difference between equity partners and salaried partners. Equity partners obviously make more since they get a share of profits, Salaried partners are the people they like/need to keep around but dont necessarily make it rain. A standard salary partner is usually someone like the Tax guy - he does valuable work, a little bit of it on a lot of cases and doesnt bring in that many clients.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:36 pm

If you love money and leave I-Banking for the law, you're a fucking fool. Case closed. Stay put. You will be sorry. Trust me.

AntiHuman

Bronze

Post by AntiHuman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Possibly the worst/most embarassing thread I've ever read on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”