POLL (for law students): Going Home for Thanksgiving?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Are you going home for Thanksgiving?

Yes, for the entire/most of break period.
33%
Yes, for half of the break or less.
21%
No, due to logistics.
6%
No, to be able to study.
16%
No, combination of logistics/studying.
24%

Total votes: 178

IAFG

Re: POLL (for law students): Going Home for Thanksgiving?

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:23 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
dakatz wrote:1L year is immensely important. Jobs/careers are very important. But no job/career/educational issue will ever be more important than family. I will most certainly be studying every minute I'm home aside from Thanksgiving dinner itself. But it would be unthinkable for me to not go home given the mere 5 hr bus ride it takes to get there.

This, unless you are international/your family does not celebrate the holiday. Spending thanksgiving with family and friends is infinitely more important than cramming in a few more hours studying. If that time is going to have a measurable effect on your preparation for exams, you are doing something wrong.

Bite me.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:28 pm

I planned on doing 4 practice tests per day..since Tuesday I've done one. Gunning Fail.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:33 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I planned on doing 4 practice tests per day..since Tuesday I've done one. Gunning Fail.

4 was way optimistic bro.

I feel good. I did the torts E&E with another person, discussing the questions, which seems pretty good considering we don't have any released practice exams in that class. And all the outlines are done. Should get to a reg state exam tonight, too.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:34 pm

rad law wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I planned on doing 4 practice tests per day..since Tuesday I've done one. Gunning Fail.

4 was way optimistic bro.

I feel good. I did the torts E&E with another person, discussing the questions, which seems pretty good considering we don't have any released practice exams in that class. And all the outlines are done. Should get to a reg state exam tonight, too.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate you

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:41 pm

I went home, and head back tomorrow, and I still got a decent amount of work done. Went through the E+E for torts and civ pro on our last chunk of material. Also started memorizing my outlines while I was sitting on the bus with nothing else to do. I'm halfway through civ pro, and about halfway through K's. Even had a chance to start looking at some practice exams. So I'm pretty happy I got a bit of a break from the law school grind without sacrificing getting work done.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:44 pm

I'd been doing two 1.5 hour practice exams per day before break so I thought that w/o classes I could ramp it up to 4. Didn't factor in the little kids and Qs from grandparents. Regardless, just means no sleep for the next three weeks!

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:27 pm

I've been planning on just working on my outlines here and there to avoid burnout before finals (if I decided to make good on my initial plan to go into overdrive on Thanksgiving break, I would have already lost). This way, I maintain a balance of relieving stress and still getting some work done.

Unfortunately, as it stands now, I'll probably only be able to complete my Torts and Property outlines before coming back to school on Monday. I'll probably have to start Contracts during the week, but it's not all bad since the profs weekly quizzes and my OCD/paranoia of having to review everything still made a lot of the material fresh in my mind. Practice problems are another issue; there's pretty much not going to be practice exams in Property, Contracts prof has been giving us hypotheticals for the past week that I have at least been keeping up to speed with, and we're only getting three Torts practice exams (one of which will be mandatory to do for the last class). Due to the sparsity of materials, I'll have to really make every shot count here.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:15 am

BTW good luck on finals all. It will all be worth it in a couple of weeks.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:34 am

concurrent fork wrote:BTW good luck on finals all. It will all be worth it in a couple of weeks.

Or maybe I'll get straight Cs and it won't be.

straxen

Postby straxen » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:51 am

1L, in a hotel room in Mexico City spending the entire time outlining. Totally random, but my partner's working here, and it was a good 4-day weekend to meet up, so it seemed to make sense.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:22 am

You will do 100% less work than you anticipate while you go. Though who knows if I would have worked if I was at home eating Taco Bell for TGiving.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 pm

I've slept better being out of town than I have all month back in Berkeley. Have managed to squeeze in 6 hrs/day of work, but mostly have been relaxing. Outlines will be finished by Monday, giving me one week of strict practice exams and outline refinement before my first exam.

In theory, I wish I had finished sooner, but in reality, I'm still proud that, for the first time in my academic life, I feel somewhat responsible and prepared. And by building up on sleep, hopefully I'll work/feel better this upcoming week.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I've slept better being out of town than I have all month back in Berkeley. Have managed to squeeze in 6 hrs/day of work, but mostly have been relaxing. Outlines will be finished by Monday, giving me one week of strict practice exams and outline refinement before my first exam.

In theory, I wish I had finished sooner, but in reality, I'm still proud that, for the first time in my academic life, I feel somewhat responsible and prepared. And by building up on sleep, hopefully I'll work/feel better this upcoming week.

In my experience, if your outlines are done before the exam period begins, you're ahead of 90% of the pack. Congrats.

As a 2L, I don't even think I'll be done with half of my outlines by then. Good thing it doesn't matter.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Since Wednesday I've done at least 6 to 7 hours every day, with the exception being Thanksgiving day, where I think I only got 4 or 5 in. I had told my family I wasn't going to be free-but my father had a meltdown because he didn't know what "dice the mushrooms" meant and I had to step in.

Pretty ready for this all to be over.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”