Legal Outsourcing

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
grrrstick
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Legal Outsourcing

Postby grrrstick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:00 pm

If you needed a reason to do good on finals:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/thomson- ... e-pangea3/

Small Law and Shit Law are not going to exist for much longer.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:13 pm

grrrstick wrote:If you needed a reason to do good on finals:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/thomson- ... e-pangea3/

Small Law and Shit Law are not going to exist for much longer.

Don't be silly. Small law and shit law don't have the resources or the extra work to outsource labor to India. Biglaw on the other hand...

User avatar
grrrstick
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby grrrstick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:33 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
grrrstick wrote:If you needed a reason to do good on finals:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/thomson- ... e-pangea3/

Small Law and Shit Law are not going to exist for much longer.

Don't be silly. Small law and shit law don't have the resources or the extra work to outsource labor to India. Biglaw on the other hand...


ha. As nervous as I am now about getting a job, I would be scared shitless if I was at some TTTT counting on having doc review as a backup. The ABA has totally betrayed those people by allowing the scam to go on this long while rewriting the ethics rules so more and more legal work can be done by non-lawyers.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby savagedm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:04 am

grrrstick wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
grrrstick wrote:If you needed a reason to do good on finals:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/thomson- ... e-pangea3/

Small Law and Shit Law are not going to exist for much longer.

Don't be silly. Small law and shit law don't have the resources or the extra work to outsource labor to India. Biglaw on the other hand...


ha. As nervous as I am now about getting a job, I would be scared shitless if I was at some TTTT counting on having doc review as a backup. The ABA has totally betrayed those people by allowing the scam to go on this long while rewriting the ethics rules so more and more legal work can be done by non-lawyers.


If you think any business is anything but a scheme to make those who own it richer, then you obviously need to re-examine capitalism. The trick is to make them think they can't further their scheme without you.

User avatar
RUQRU
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby RUQRU » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 am

^
Last edited by RUQRU on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby savagedm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:13 pm

RUQRU wrote:
savagedm wrote:
If you think any business is anything but a scheme to make those who own it richer, then you obviously need to re-examine capitalism. The trick is to make them think they can't further their scheme without you.


This is the kind of hypocrisy that your typical leftist law student displays without any sense of irony. Pretend to be a socialist do-gooder while attempting to suck the tit of big law for a $160K starting salary. Businesses get richer, in a free society, by providing something someone wants more than the cash in their pockets. It really is that simple.

True, we don't live a free society, but rather a world of state, or more accurately crony, capitalism. So businesses get richer by using the power of the state to forcibly extract cash from the hapless taxpayer.


Dude, get off your high horse and go get a fucking life.

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby UnTouChablE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:37 pm

RUQRU wrote:
savagedm wrote:
If you think any business is anything but a scheme to make those who own it richer, then you obviously need to re-examine capitalism. The trick is to make them think they can't further their scheme without you.


This is the kind of hypocrisy that your typical leftist law student displays without any sense of irony. Pretend to be a socialist do-gooder while attempting to suck the tit of big law for a $160K starting salary. Businesses get richer, in a free society, by providing something someone wants more than the cash in their pockets. It really is that simple.

True, we don't live a free society, but rather a world of state, or more accurately crony, capitalism. So businesses get richer by using the power of the state to forcibly extract cash from the hapless taxpayer.


And your proposal instead is that we...

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby Black-Blue » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Biglaw is arguably more outsourceable than shitlaw, because biglaw is about impersonal menial work. Because biglaw is a factory, much of the work can be outsourced. This also applies to transactional boutiques like tax, IP, etc.

Shitlaw, on the other hand, involves more personal interaction between lawyer and cilent, so this cannot be outsourced.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:04 pm

grrrstick wrote:If you needed a reason to do good on finals:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/thomson- ... e-pangea3/

Small Law and Shit Law are not going to exist for much longer.


Your post demonstrates that you have absolutely no idea about the way the legal market works, the structure of legal employment, etc. Shitlaw, my friend, is economy proof. I know many shitlawyers still earning well over 250k, while many prestttigious ivy league grads sit unemployed on the sidelines because they were released from biglaw for "low billables," as if that was their fault (hard to bill when there is no work to bill).

Shitlaw is, for the most part, completely untouched by economic factors. So go right on laughing at the TTT grads.. Lets see who is laughing in 10 years when you never got to be a lawyer and the TTT grad is banking well over 100k in SHITLAW.


You can outsource the driblle that most biglaw associates churn out to any third-world country. Its all useless shit anyway and practically none of it winds up before a judge.. But tell me frined, how do you outsource a DUI to an indian attorney?

Next you'll argue that the T14ers will invade the ranks of shitlaw and push out the proles.. Not likely my friend. Shitlawyers like to stick to their own kind. T14ers simply aren't welcome in the shitlaw club. And they usually lack the grit, hands on training and attitude necessary to go to court and argue like hell over a case involving 8k and a poorly drafted divorce agreement..

So in conclusion, laugh all you like about the fall of the TTT ranks thanks to outsourcing, but the truth of the matter is that the TTTers will not suffer for even 2 seconds as a result of outsourcing. Now go back to class and figure out why X has a contingent remainder subject to open as opposed to a life estate or some other "useful" overly academic inquiry.. That will absolutely get you some place in this lifetime..

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby savagedm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:16 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
grrrstick wrote:If you needed a reason to do good on finals:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/thomson- ... e-pangea3/

Small Law and Shit Law are not going to exist for much longer.


Your post demonstrates that you have absolutely no idea about the way the legal market works, the structure of legal employment, etc. Shitlaw, my friend, is economy proof. I know many shitlawyers still earning well over 250k, while many prestttigious ivy league grads sit unemployed on the sidelines because they were released from biglaw for "low billables," as if that was their fault (hard to bill when there is no work to bill).

Shitlaw is, for the most part, completely untouched by economic factors. So go right on laughing at the TTT grads.. Lets see who is laughing in 10 years when you never got to be a lawyer and the TTT grad is banking well over 100k in SHITLAW.


You can outsource the driblle that most biglaw associates churn out to any third-world country. Its all useless shit anyway and practically none of it winds up before a judge.. But tell me frined, how do you outsource a DUI to an indian attorney?

Next you'll argue that the T14ers will invade the ranks of shitlaw and push out the proles.. Not likely my friend. Shitlawyers like to stick to their own kind. T14ers simply aren't welcome in the shitlaw club. And they usually lack the grit, hands on training and attitude necessary to go to court and argue like hell over a case involving 8k and a poorly drafted divorce agreement..

So in conclusion, laugh all you like about the fall of the TTT ranks thanks to outsourcing, but the truth of the matter is that the TTTers will not suffer for even 2 seconds as a result of outsourcing. Now go back to class and figure out why X has a contingent remainder subject to open as opposed to a life estate or some other "useful" overly academic inquiry.. That will absolutely get you some place in this lifetime..


This.

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby UnTouChablE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:47 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
grrrstick wrote:If you needed a reason to do good on finals:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/11/thomson- ... e-pangea3/

Small Law and Shit Law are not going to exist for much longer.


Your post demonstrates that you have absolutely no idea about the way the legal market works, the structure of legal employment, etc. Shitlaw, my friend, is economy proof. I know many shitlawyers still earning well over 250k, while many prestttigious ivy league grads sit unemployed on the sidelines because they were released from biglaw for "low billables," as if that was their fault (hard to bill when there is no work to bill).

Shitlaw is, for the most part, completely untouched by economic factors. So go right on laughing at the TTT grads.. Lets see who is laughing in 10 years when you never got to be a lawyer and the TTT grad is banking well over 100k in SHITLAW.


You can outsource the driblle that most biglaw associates churn out to any third-world country. Its all useless shit anyway and practically none of it winds up before a judge.. But tell me frined, how do you outsource a DUI to an indian attorney?

Next you'll argue that the T14ers will invade the ranks of shitlaw and push out the proles.. Not likely my friend. Shitlawyers like to stick to their own kind. T14ers simply aren't welcome in the shitlaw club. And they usually lack the grit, hands on training and attitude necessary to go to court and argue like hell over a case involving 8k and a poorly drafted divorce agreement..

So in conclusion, laugh all you like about the fall of the TTT ranks thanks to outsourcing, but the truth of the matter is that the TTTers will not suffer for even 2 seconds as a result of outsourcing. Now go back to class and figure out why X has a contingent remainder subject to open as opposed to a life estate or some other "useful" overly academic inquiry.. That will absolutely get you some place in this lifetime..


+1 No holes in logic that I can see, we need more complex laws!

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby Black-Blue » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Shitlaw won't be affected, but TTTers will. A lot of TTTers won't make it to shitlaw, but get stuck in doc review, which is below shitlaw and is outsourceable.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby keg411 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:22 pm

reasonable_man wrote:You can outsource the driblle that most biglaw associates churn out to any third-world country. Its all useless shit anyway and practically none of it winds up before a judge.. But tell me frined, how do you outsource a DUI to an indian attorney?


Loves it.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby stratocophic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:30 pm

keg411 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:You can outsource the driblle that most biglaw associates churn out to any third-world country. Its all useless shit anyway and practically none of it winds up before a judge.. But tell me frined, how do you outsource a DUI to an indian attorney?


Loves it.
Skype, laptop on table in courtroom, dude reads straight from a cue card like they do on the Dell support tech support hotline. DONE, your legal bill comes to $34.63. Skype too low tech? All you need is some video-conferencing software, a random subcontinent warehouse to set up shop in, and a grunt on the other end driving to court and plugging in the laptop. BRB going to drop out and find investors

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby UnTouChablE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:33 pm

stratocophic wrote:
keg411 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:You can outsource the driblle that most biglaw associates churn out to any third-world country. Its all useless shit anyway and practically none of it winds up before a judge.. But tell me frined, how do you outsource a DUI to an indian attorney?


Loves it.
Skype, laptop on table in courtroom, dude reads straight from a cue card like they do on the Dell support tech support hotline. DONE, your legal bill comes to $34.63. Skype too low tech? All you need is some video-conferencing software, a random subcontinent warehouse to set up shop in, and a grunt on the other end driving to court and plugging in the laptop. BRB going to drop out and find investors


Investor rite here, I need more specifics tho!

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby General Tso » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:36 pm

agree with the Reasonable_Man post; also want to point out this growing trend --> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/busin ... tml?src=mv

as the last few years have taught us, nothing can jumpstart a lagging industry like a little Chinese equity :D

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby stratocophic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:39 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
keg411 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:You can outsource the driblle that most biglaw associates churn out to any third-world country. Its all useless shit anyway and practically none of it winds up before a judge.. But tell me frined, how do you outsource a DUI to an indian attorney?


Loves it.
Skype, laptop on table in courtroom, dude reads straight from a cue card like they do on the Dell support tech support hotline. DONE, your legal bill comes to $34.63. Skype too low tech? All you need is some video-conferencing software, a random subcontinent warehouse to set up shop in, and a grunt on the other end driving to court and plugging in the laptop. BRB going to drop out and find investors


Investor rite here, I need more specifics tho!
Big cities at first, expand to secondary and tertiary markets as the idea catches on. Start off by severely undercutting rates and then jack up to manageable yet still untouchable prices once credibility builds, pick up some high-profile clients and stick the all-stars on 'em (Ms. Lohan, I'm lookin' at YOU). Could even grade the workers and adjust rates according to tiers, since we Americans love us some rankings. Shoot, this could be done w/ gchat and a webcam, don't even need a real software package. Make the money and get out within 10 years or so, because competition's gonna get crazy fast.

Forgot about the laptop grunts. Pay 'em like pizza delivery boys, all they're doing is driving to the courthouse from a central location in the city and holding papers up to the webcam.

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby UnTouChablE » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:19 pm

stratocophic wrote:Big cities at first, expand to secondary and tertiary markets as the idea catches on. Start off by severely undercutting rates and then jack up to manageable yet still untouchable prices once credibility builds, pick up some high-profile clients and stick the all-stars on 'em (Ms. Lohan, I'm lookin' at YOU). Could even grade the workers and adjust rates according to tiers, since we Americans love us some rankings. Shoot, this could be done w/ gchat and a webcam, don't even need a real software package. Make the money and get out within 10 years or so, because competition's gonna get crazy fast.

Forgot about the laptop grunts. Pay 'em like pizza delivery boys, all they're doing is driving to the courthouse from a central location in the city and holding papers up to the webcam.


lol, I have to sleep on this one.

Skeptical hippo is skeptical!

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby stratocophic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:30 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Big cities at first, expand to secondary and tertiary markets as the idea catches on. Start off by severely undercutting rates and then jack up to manageable yet still untouchable prices once credibility builds, pick up some high-profile clients and stick the all-stars on 'em (Ms. Lohan, I'm lookin' at YOU). Could even grade the workers and adjust rates according to tiers, since we Americans love us some rankings. Shoot, this could be done w/ gchat and a webcam, don't even need a real software package. Make the money and get out within 10 years or so, because competition's gonna get crazy fast.

Forgot about the laptop grunts. Pay 'em like pizza delivery boys, all they're doing is driving to the courthouse from a central location in the city and holding papers up to the webcam.


lol, I have to sleep on this one.

Skeptical hippo is skeptical!
Aight, but 2 years from now
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Black-Blue wrote:Shitlaw won't be affected, but TTTers will. A lot of TTTers won't make it to shitlaw, but get stuck in doc review, which is below shitlaw and is outsourceable.


You and op shoud hang out... You can argue over who knows less about the world.

AsianCurveKiller
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:48 pm

^^^^^ u mad?

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:08 pm

AsianCurveKiller wrote:^^^^^ u mad?


Actually, quite the opposite..

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Legal Outsourcing

Postby keg411 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:59 pm

stratocophic wrote:
keg411 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:You can outsource the driblle that most biglaw associates churn out to any third-world country. Its all useless shit anyway and practically none of it winds up before a judge.. But tell me frined, how do you outsource a DUI to an indian attorney?


Loves it.
Skype, laptop on table in courtroom, dude reads straight from a cue card like they do on the Dell support tech support hotline. DONE, your legal bill comes to $34.63. Skype too low tech? All you need is some video-conferencing software, a random subcontinent warehouse to set up shop in, and a grunt on the other end driving to court and plugging in the laptop. BRB going to drop out and find investors


My mom is a lawyer, a programmer and a web designer and she's done some work for a trial-software company and it went nowhere.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], splitterfromhell and 4 guests