Thanksgiving Break, seeing non-law students

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blerg

Re: Thanksgiving Break, seeing non-law students

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Thirteen wrote:
blerg wrote:Whatever Thanksgiving you're having sounds awful. If it involves doing anything other than eating pie, drinking too much wine or playing Balderdash, you're doing it wrong.

Don't forget about watching and playing football.

Oh, yeah. I am a girl, so I am always cooking during that. But yes, that gets included too.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:39 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:wow, thanks for taking my post completely out of context. All I said is I have greatly changed how I now think, have been immersed by only law students, profs, casebooks, etc. and no one outside of law, and that it will be interesting to talk to other non law students.

I obviously did not mean that I am a lawyer or have all lawyer skills, and you obviously all know that too considering how all of you have taken my post out of context. No, wait, you didn't.

And, don't try and undercut who I am because of my LSAT and GPA.

I really thought some people would be excited to talk to their friends about political issues, economics, and other related things such as that. I guess you don't talk about those things outside of law school, or you don't think you are better prepared to talk about such things as you may have been before law school started.

This is great trolling. I can't believe anybody believed that you have friends! Good one!

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:40 pm

blerg wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
blerg wrote:Whatever Thanksgiving you're having sounds awful. If it involves doing anything other than eating pie, drinking too much wine or playing Balderdash, you're doing it wrong.

Oh, yeah. I am a girl, so I am always cooking during that. But yes, that gets included too.

QF reinforcing stereotypes. :wink:

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Thirteen wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:wow, thanks for taking my post completely out of context. All I said is I have greatly changed how I now think, have been immersed by only law students, profs, casebooks, etc. and no one outside of law, and that it will be interesting to talk to other non law students.

I obviously did not mean that I am a lawyer or have all lawyer skills, and you obviously all know that too considering how all of you have taken my post out of context. No, wait, you didn't.

I really thought some people would be excited to talk to their friends about political issues, economics, and other related things such as that. I guess you don't talk about those things outside of law school, or you don't think you are better prepared to talk about such things as you may have been before law school started.

I'm going to bullshit with my friends about girls, complain about the state of UT football, and make fun of them all day Thursday, then get back to outlining Friday.

Yes. I will be doing all of this too. Drinking, partying, golf, hanging out with the friends and family. Not really sure why it would be any different.

And no, I don't think there is any sense of me feeling happier that I am a law student because I go to a T2 school. I think I probably feel exactly the same. I am just excited to see where I have come once I am outside of the law school realm.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:41 pm

blerg wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Marry me.

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
blerg wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

QF reinforcing stereotypes. :wink:

I am also Southern and I will bring you a sandwich :)

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Thirteen wrote:
blerg wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Marry me.

I would, but BOOMER. SOONER.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:44 pm

blerg wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
blerg wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Oh, yeah. I am a girl, so I am always cooking during that. But yes, that gets included too.

Marry me.

I would, but BOOMER. SOONER.

And here I was about to propose. For shame, for shame...

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:44 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

I'm going to bullshit with my friends about girls, complain about the state of UT football, and make fun of them all day Thursday, then get back to outlining Friday.

Yes. I will be doing all of this too. Drinking, partying, golf, hanging out with the friends and family. Not really sure why it would be any different.

And no, I don't think there is any sense of me feeling happier that I am a law student because I go to a T2 school. I think I probably feel exactly the same. I am just excited to see where I have come once I am outside of the law school realm.

Do you think it might be a bit different this time because you'll have a "lawyerly brain" while everyone else will still have their "non lawyerly brains?"

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:47 pm

patrickd139 wrote:

But you did say that you're a lawyer and have lawyer skillz.

GoodToBeTheKing wrote: which have all made us think like lawyers - don't kid yourself if you think otherwise.

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:And, don't try and undercut who I am because of my LSAT and GPA.

No one was trying to do that. RM simply (and probably correctly) assessed your current law school situation. The undercutting you came from the incredibly elitist nature underlying your post
this thread.

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I really thought some people would be excited to talk to their friends about political issues, economics, and other related things such as that. I guess you don't talk about those things outside of law school, or you don't think you are better prepared to talk about such things as you may have been before law school started.

You'll be surprised how little this actually changes. If you weren't prepared to talk about "such things" before law school, you aren't after 3/4 of one semester there.

When did I say I am a "lawyer?" Don't put words in my mouth. Think "like" a lawyer is not a lawyer. "lawyerly" brain is not a lawyer. Assumptions drawn again. I don't understand how you and the other posters are in a better school than me.

And I was and I am prepared to talk about such things, which is why I will be very happy and can't wait to do so with my friends that are also happy to talk about such things.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:48 pm

thisguy456 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Do you think it might be a bit different this time because you'll have a "lawyerly brain" while everyone else will still have their "non lawyerly brains?"

I was referring to my Thanksgiving break compared to the other posters who seem to think mine will be lame.

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:49 pm

patrickd139 wrote:And here I was about to propose. For shame, for shame...

I was raised that way. Can't help it.

I have resigned myself to dating a Michigan fan so I can always feel superior.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:51 pm

blerg wrote:

And hates on the Big 10. So close...

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:53 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
blerg wrote:

Don't do it!!!

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Thirteen wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
blerg wrote:

Don't do it!!!

Close =/= do it. As a Longhorn stuck in Norman, I'm used to resisting temptation.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm

I plan on gunning my entire TG except for Thursday, so I'm not even sure why I'm going back...but such is life I guess.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:When did I say I am a "lawyer?" Don't put words in my mouth. Think "like" a lawyer is not a lawyer. "lawyerly" brain is not a lawyer. Assumptions drawn again. I don't understand how you and the other posters are in a better school than me.

And I was and I am prepared to talk about such things, which is why I will be very happy and can't wait to do so with my friends that are also happy to talk about such things.

You should really just give up now.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:57 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I plan on gunning my entire TG except for Thursday, so I'm not even sure why I'm going back...but such is life I guess.

Taking TG off is weak sauce, friend.

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:58 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Close =/= do it. As a Longhorn stuck in Norman, I'm used to resisting temptation.

I mean, I am a Sooner fan until I die, but God even I can't imagine living there ever again.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:When did I say I am a "lawyer?" Don't put words in my mouth. Think "like" a lawyer is not a lawyer. "lawyerly" brain is not a lawyer. Assumptions drawn again. I don't understand how you and the other posters are in a better school than me.

You should really just give up now.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:59 pm

blerg wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Close =/= do it. As a Longhorn stuck in Norman, I'm used to resisting temptation.

I mean, I am a Sooner fan until I die, but God even I can't imagine living there ever again.

I know a lot of people would disagree, but I find it's not a bad town to go to LS in. There's nothing going on to distract you, plus CoL is cheap and there are enough respectable bars to drink on a regular basis. Couldn't agree more about long-term though.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:06 pm

^^^180 :lol:

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:11 pm

patrickd139 wrote:^^^180 :lol:

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:22 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:So, we have all pretty much been surrounded by law for the past few months: books, profs, students, hypos, thought provoking social policy issues, which have all made us think like lawyers - don't kid yourself if you think otherwise.

Anyways, anyone here thought about how different life will be when you head back home to see old friends, family, etc. and finally get to use your lawyerly (yes, I turned a noun into an adverb like every other legal paper I have read) brain amongst non lawyerly brains?

Personally, I think it will be very interesting to see how far I have come.
"Lawyerly" is an adjective, and you didn't invent it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”