Thanksgiving Break, seeing non-law students

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GoodToBeTheKing

Thanksgiving Break, seeing non-law students

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:37 am

So, we have all pretty much been surrounded by law for the past few months: books, profs, students, hypos, thought provoking social policy issues, which have all made us think like lawyers - don't kid yourself if you think otherwise.

Anyways, anyone here thought about how different life will be when you head back home to see old friends, family, etc. and finally get to use your lawyerly (yes, I turned a noun into an adverb like every other legal paper I have read) brain amongst non lawyerly brains?

Personally, I think it will be very interesting to see how far I have come.

Beantown26

Re: Thanksgiving Break, seeing non-law students

Postby Beantown26 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:49 am

My god...

Just jam an ice pick straight into my retina...

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:13 am

Just don't look at the Untouchables in the eye.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:15 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:So, we have all pretty much been surrounded by law for the past few months: books, profs, students, hypos, thought provoking social policy issues, which have all made us think like lawyers - don't kid yourself if you think otherwise.

Anyways, anyone here thought about how different life will be when you head back home to see old friends, family, etc. and finally get to use your lawyerly (yes, I turned a noun into an adverb like every other legal paper I have read) brain amongst non lawyerly brains?

I really hope that you're not serious. I kinda hope one of your friends slaps you upside your lawyerly head.

FWIW: 1Ls usually know a hair less about the law than 0Ls, so don't get yourself too excited just yet Mr. Boise. Oh, and its not ok to call yourself a lawyer or sign Esq. at the end of your name, just in case you were wondering.

frost

Postby frost » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:37 am

please don't be that guy that turns everything into a torts or crim law analysis.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:39 am

frost wrote:please don't be that guy that turns everything into a torts or crim law analysis.

I kinda hope he winds up being this guy and one of his friends bloodies his nose at a bar; so that he can provide his "expert" legal analysis of the liability of all parties concerned, the distinction of assault and battery, the possibility of a claim under thr dram shop act.. It will be a torts/crim law bonanza!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:25 pm

thisguy456 wrote:Just don't look at the Untouchables in the eye.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 pm

beach_terror wrote:

AsianCurveKiller

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
frost wrote:please don't be that guy that turns everything into a torts or crim law analysis.

I kinda hope he winds up being this guy and one of his friends bloodies his nose at a bar; so that he can provide his "expert" legal analysis of the liability of all parties concerned, the distinction of assault and battery, the possibility of a claim under thr dram shop act.. It will be a torts/crim law bonanza!

I think OP is imagining himself more as Paul Bäumer. Maybe an old teacher will lecture him on exam strategy and advancing the front against the gunners.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:27 pm

I live with my non-law student girlfriend, and I can assure you I would be killed in my sleep or pushed down the stairs if I tried comparing my "lawyerly" brain to hers. The only thing related to school that she ever wants to hear is some of the gossip.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 pm

OP, the answer is that you should speak to your non-LS friend(s) only in proper IRAC form. Anything less would be subpar for your intellectzs!

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:So, we have all pretty much been surrounded by law for the past few months: books, profs, students, hypos, thought provoking social policy issues, which have all made us think like lawyers - don't kid yourself if you think otherwise.

Holy horse shit op I just looked at your profile... 159 and 2.9? If that's true, and assuming that you are not a recent slave that was actually set free (not just a minority, an actual slave that was set free); you're almost certainly attending some manner of TTT, be it a T2 or a TTT or some other fake T1.

That said, I'd ease up on showing off your lawyerly brain to the proletariat (i.e. your non-lawyer friends), until after you find out whether or not you finish in the top 2 people in your class. Otherwise that lawyerly brain of yours, along with the rest of your body, might need a couch to sleep on and some cold noodles to eat when you graduate with no job. I'd be nice to the peasants if I were you man.. You’re going to need their fucking couch one day..

FWIW, having passed a few bar exams and having had the opportunity to do this lawyer stuff for a while, I assure you that if you were not a huge self-absorbed asswipe prior to law school, you should have no problems communicating with your non-lawyer friends.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Nothing makes people more mad than trying to "show off" by throwing legal terms in peoples' faces when you know they clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I would use it as an opportunity to catch up with friends and family, enjoy the holidays, and get AWAY from the law for awhile ... it will do good come exam time.

law_noob

Postby law_noob » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:49 pm

reasonable_man, just thought I'd let you know that your posts always make me smile. But I must return to my shadows now..

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:51 pm

law_noob wrote:reasonable_man, just thought I'd let you know that your posts always make me smile. But I must return to my shadows now..

Thanks man... I'm here all week.. Try the veal..

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:24 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
law_noob wrote:reasonable_man, just thought I'd let you know that your posts always make me smile. But I must return to my shadows now..

Thanks man... I'm here all week.. Try the veal..

I'm not gonna lie, I thought your previous post was very douchy at first glance. Then I read it again and thought, "yeah, but it's pretty fucking funny". I'd have a beer with ya, douchebags suck, but funny douchebags are awesome.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:32 pm

wow, thanks for taking my post completely out of context. All I said is I have greatly changed how I now think, have been immersed by only law students, profs, casebooks, etc. and no one outside of law, and that it will be interesting to talk to other non law students.

I obviously did not mean that I am a lawyer or have all lawyer skills, and you obviously all know that too considering how all of you have taken my post out of context. No, wait, you didn't.

And, don't try and undercut who I am because of my LSAT and GPA.

I really thought some people would be excited to talk to their friends about political issues, economics, and other related things such as that. I guess you don't talk about those things outside of law school, or you don't think you are better prepared to talk about such things as you may have been before law school started.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:35 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:wow, thanks for taking my post completely out of context. All I said is I have greatly changed how I now think, have been immersed by only law students, profs, casebooks, etc. and no one outside of law, and that it will be interesting to talk to other non law students.

I obviously did not mean that I am a lawyer or have all lawyer skills, and you obviously all know that too considering how all of you have taken my post out of context. No, wait, you didn't.

I really thought some people would be excited to talk to their friends about political issues, economics, and other related things such as that. I guess you don't talk about those things outside of law school, or you don't think you are better prepared to talk about such things as you may have been before law school started.

Thanks for the advice guys, especially you RP. You, RP are a pear among men.

I think I'll go enjoy my vacation and try to forget about law as an exercise on how to live a normal life as a lawyer.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:36 pm

It seems like the worse the law school the bigger deal people make out of being a "law student." Shit I'm downright embarrassed I'm a law student. Shit is shameful.

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Whatever Thanksgiving you're having sounds awful. If it involves doing anything other than eating pie, drinking too much wine or playing Balderdash, you're doing it wrong.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:37 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:wow, thanks for taking my post completely out of context. All I said is I have greatly changed how I now think, have been immersed by only law students, profs, casebooks, etc. and no one outside of law, and that it will be interesting to talk to other non law students.

I'm going to bullshit with my friends about girls, complain about the state of UT football, and make fun of them all day Thursday, then get back to outlining Friday.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:37 pm

blerg wrote:Whatever Thanksgiving you're having sounds awful. If it involves doing anything other than eating pie, drinking too much wine or playing Balderdash, you're doing it wrong.

Don't forget about watching and playing football.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

Holy horse shit op I just looked at your profile... 159 and 2.9? If that's true, and assuming that you are not a recent slave that was actually set free (not just a minority, an actual slave that was set free); you're almost certainly attending some manner of TTT, be it a T2 or a TTT or some other fake T1.

That said, I'd ease up on showing off your lawyerly brain to the proletariat (i.e. your non-lawyer friends), until after you find out whether or not you finish in the top 2 people in your class. Otherwise that lawyerly brain of yours, along with the rest of your body, might need a couch to sleep on and some cold noodles to eat when you graduate with no job. I'd be nice to the peasants if I were you man.. You’re going to need their fucking couch one day..

FWIW, having passed a few bar exams and having had the opportunity to do this lawyer stuff for a while, I assure you that if you were not a huge self-absorbed asswipe prior to law school, you should have no problems communicating with your non-lawyer friends.

And, no... I already have a few jobs lined up. Sorry to burst your bubble. Nice, lame arguments by the way... such big big big assumptions based on what? my LSAT score, GPA, and your stab at some humor on a message board? 2500+ posts huh? hm... what kind of assumptions shall I draw???

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm

But you did say that you're a lawyer and have lawyer skillz.

GoodToBeTheKing wrote: which have all made us think like lawyers - don't kid yourself if you think otherwise.

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:And, don't try and undercut who I am because of my LSAT and GPA.

No one was trying to do that. RM simply (and probably correctly) assessed your current law school situation. The undercutting you came from the incredibly elitist nature underlying your post
this thread.

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I really thought some people would be excited to talk to their friends about political issues, economics, and other related things such as that. I guess you don't talk about those things outside of law school, or you don't think you are better prepared to talk about such things as you may have been before law school started.

You'll be surprised how little this actually changes. If you weren't prepared to talk about "such things" before law school, you aren't after 3/4 of one semester there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”