Cost of living comparison chart- where to find it

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Wolverhoo

Cost of living comparison chart- where to find it

Postby Wolverhoo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:39 pm

I apologize in advance; I searched long and hard but couldn't find what I am looking for.

Several months ago there was something like a chart circulating around this board which compared cost of living/purchasing power in several different cities... people were using it to, i.e., show that in order to have the same purchasing power, someone making $135k in Atlanta would have to make something like $310k in NYC... (not accurate numbers)

Does anybody know what I am talking about/know where to find this?

Thanks- sorry for the obscure post

tourdeforcex

Re: Cost of living comparison chart- where to find it

Postby tourdeforcex » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:52 pm

unfortunately, i don't know where this chart is and i cannot direct you

however, if you can get your hands on a copy of "law school confidential" by robert miller, one of the chapters in the book offers a way to gauge.

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:21 pm

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Dear God. Market salary in NYC is equivalent to <$70k in my home town. 160k doesn't go as far as it used to I suppose haha.

cortnf

Postby cortnf » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Anybody else find it absurd that DC is not an option on this converter thing? The closest you can get is "Virginia, Washington-Arlington-Alexandria" and those are three very different places wrt cost of living.

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:35 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Dear God. Market salary in NYC is equivalent to <$70k in my home town. 160k doesn't go as far as it used to I suppose haha.

$64,000 in mine.

I guess I grew up wealthier than I thought.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:37 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. I was trying to compare COA in Manhattan v. DC. Anyone have any idea what the comparison would be? Manhattan is definitely more expensive, but how much more expensive than a nice place in Dupont?

EDIT: Ya, way to go Mom and Dad, you'd be legit rainmakers in New York if this website has a shred of accuracy to it.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:40 pm

Also consider taxes. $160k in NYC gets cut down to well under $100k after taxes for a lot of people.

amonynous_ivdinidual

Postby amonynous_ivdinidual » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:41 pm

this salary converter looks like a pretty blunt instrument. with options like Portland OR and Philadelphia PA, without regard for good/bad neighborhoods, it doesn't really tell you that much. example, if there are 4 students in a seminar, and the average grade was 70%, that doesn't really tell you how the class performed if 2 scored 100% and 2 scored 40%.

i imagine life in dupont is very much like life in manhattan, maybe a hair cheaper but i have no idea.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Not exactly- what I am looking for is a chart... no plugging-in necessary. This is helpful anyway, though, so thank you. Does pretty much the same work.

blerg wrote:http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Is this what you're looking for?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”