Still reading everything?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
$$$$$$

Re: Still reading everything?

Postby $$$$$$ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 am

I feel like the cases get into the theories behind the law much more, in my classes its pretty important. And everyone learns differently.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 am

I do a quick read through, and then take notes in class on it. I'm not going to put more than two lines in my outline about it anyway.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:30 am

Desert Fox wrote:I do a quick read through, and then take notes in class on it. I'm not going to put more than two lines in my outline about it anyway.

Word to that. I look back on the cases when I outline, just to see if I missed something, but I don't put full case summaries in there.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:37 am

i just read it once through, highlight the important stuff and some nuances that arise in the case. To me, cases are like their own hypotheticals with the answers in it. Then I go back through it when outlining quickly. I feel like everything you need to know is in the cases they assign.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:03 am

patrickd139 wrote:Just wanted to throw out there that I generally do the readings. Outlining's for suckers though.

QF below median

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 am

capitalacq wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Just wanted to throw out there that I generally do the readings. Outlining's for suckers though.

QF below median

I don't really outline either, and when I do, it's maybe 10 pages total.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:01 am

capitalacq wrote:

QF below median top 5%

FTFY :wink:

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:19 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:Man, some of you guys are lazy. I still do all of the reading, sometimes a couple days in advance, and I book brief everything using different colors for each kind of information I need.

It doesn't take that long, and it's not a waste of time.

Reading is the easy part of law school. It's motivating yourself to edit and rewrite your memo for the fifth time that's hard.

This.

Even though reading cases is but a minor element of my overall regimen, I've found it to be an important supplement when doing practice exam's and other hypo's. My mind always goes back to the context of the case when citing the rule so I have different angles of how to attack the problem. Book briefing is the way to go, put the rules in your outline, it shouldn't take that long.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm still doing the reading.

I'm not outlining for crap, though...

MPMP

Postby MPMP » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:30 pm

and what would you have us do right now?

I'm still reading the cases, and when I am not doing that I review supplements/outlines and work on practice exams, sometimes writing, sometimes just issue-spotting and looking at model answers. I feel pretty comfortable about my approach, but I'm sure I could be doing more.

edit: fuu, must have been on the 1st page still. That was supposed to be to the TransferOrNot guy.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:21 am

MPMP wrote:and what would you have us do right now?

I'm still reading the cases, and when I am not doing that I review supplements/outlines and work on practice exams, sometimes writing, sometimes just issue-spotting and looking at model answers. I feel pretty comfortable about my approach, but I'm sure I could be doing more.

edit: fuu, must have been on the 1st page still. That was supposed to be to the TransferOrNot guy.

There's an obvious lack of boozing in your schedule, for one thing.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:22 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

+1

How will you network at happy hour if you can't handle your liquor?

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:57 am

JazzOne wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

+1

How will you network at happy hour if you can't handle your liquor?

Bragging about your class rank and LSAT score, duh.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:07 am

I was reading everything 2-3 times and briefing every case early on during the semester, now I just give a case a quick read before class. Tell me the rules I need to know in class and how to apply it and let me go home and study for the final.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:14 pm

ehh I got to tighten up, been taking practice exams and outlining, but I've read maybe 50% of the readings in the past 2-3 weeks

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”