Why did you want to go to law school? And are you happy?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OvertheBridge

Why did you want to go to law school? And are you happy?

Postby OvertheBridge » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Why did you want to go to law school in the first place? Was it for the money you'll make eventually? Is it because you LOVE law and you want to help people? Is it because you were a social science/liberal arts major in college and didn't know WHAT ELSE you could do with your major? Is there a particular kind of law you know you would like to specialize in/practice?

Finally, are you happy with the decision to go to law school, so far? Having (probably) worked in a law firm as a summer associate or a legal assistant at some point, do you see yourself in that environment and do you think you'll be happy working as a lawyer for the rest of your life?

GettingReady2010

Re: Why did you want to go to law school? And are you happy?

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I like the thread, but I don't know how many responses you'll get. I doubt there are many associates who still frequent TLS.

OvertheBridge

Postby OvertheBridge » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Well, I'd be happy to here from some L2's and L3's...L1's welcome to share their thoughts so far as well :)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:04 pm

came to school wanting to be PD thinking I'd be uber stressed all the time, but I'm not. I'm generally pretty happy... no complaints. I still want to be a PD, but I've found that I really like learning this stuff so now I could see myself doing other things as well. I've actually become more confident of my choice as time has gone by... yeah a lot of other people are stressed, but I don't mind because I like helping people, and if people are stressed they want help, and it's actually useful. That was my driving motivation to become a lawyer in the first place... Somebody's in a jam and they need help with a complicated problem. I like helping people and solving complicated problems... it makes me happy.

But I'm just a big nerd, and generally a weird person, don't trust me...
Last edited by Borhas on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Borhas wrote:came to school wanting to be PD thinking I'd be uber stressed all the time, but I'm not. I'm generally pretty happy... no complaints. I still want to be a PD, but I've found that I really like learning this stuff so now I could see myself doing other things as well.

In general: It was really cool at first, but while it's not as interesting as at the start it's still pretty cool stuff. But I'm just a big nerd, and generally a weird person.

As evidenced by your pic. War is hell, brother.

2lstudent

Postby 2lstudent » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:03 am

I went to law school because there wasn't really a cost. I had a full ride and a living stipend, so as long as I wasn't taking loans, there wasn't a real reason not to (ignoring opportunity costs). I figured the gamble was worth my time. I never really wanted a corporate job---in law, or otherwise---so I wasn't in it for the money. I do like helping people though and I wanted to go into public interest in some way or another.

In law school (and first year post-grad), I worked at a local legal aid. At first, I loved it. Loved. Where else could a summer clerk get to write and submit and appellate brief? I had some great experiences and opportunities there. But when the economy started to sour, the place became miserable. People were leaving, more people had to do less work, benefits got cut, and it just kept getting worse. Anyway, I jumped over to working for the state in a more administrative legal type job (no cases, no clients...it's a wonderful thing). I also can't complain about only working 40 hour weeks. I guess I could see myself in my current gig for the rest of my working life, but I'll probably change at some point.

I feel like my answer probably isn't super helpful since I don't do, and never wanted to do, traditional legal work. But I'm happy, and I think I made the right choice going to law school.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:51 pm

I wanted a big-money job where I wouldn't necessarily have to be nice to everyone I met all the time.

So far, cautiously optimistic

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”