Should I sign this vague, typo-ridden, comic sans font POA?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
General Tso

Should I sign this vague, typo-ridden, comic sans font POA?

Postby General Tso » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:05 pm

This is supposed to be so we can get insurance on a commercial building in which I inherited a 1/8 share. I haven't called the insurance agency yet, but I do not even understand why I need to execute a Power of Attorney..why can't all 8 heirs file a joint application rather than having one attorney in fact do it for all? Anyway as it currently stands, it says (in comic sans font):

"I hereby appoint [random person I've never met] as my lawful attorney in fact with full authority to act in my befalf (sic) by executing my application for the [commercial building] located at [address]".

Other than the address of the insurance company at the top of the letter, there is no indication what kind of application they are talking about. Can this person take this POA to the bank and get a mortgage application and then hightail it to Rio? Maybe! Don't want to find out!

kalvano

Re: Should I sign this vague, typo-ridden, comic sans font POA?

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Obviously you should sign anything that someone says is legit. Why would they lie?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:13 pm

kalvano wrote:Obviously you should sign anything that someone says is legit. Why would they lie?

I don't think they are lying...I think they are incompetent. I am busy preparing for finals and not sure whether it is worth making a stink over this. Pretty sure none of the other heirs are legally sophisticated people, but they may be untrustworthy. I barely know some of them and some of them I've never met.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:46 pm

You aren't by chance the heir of a Nigerian Prince are you? Is that what this is?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”