Crim Test Coming Up - MPC vs. Common Law

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cgs230

Crim Test Coming Up - MPC vs. Common Law

Postby cgs230 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:32 pm

My professor seems to be very big on testing both common law definitions, MPC definitions, and the occasional state statute. Does anyone know a good book to help me learn the differences between MPC and Common Law def's better, particularly when it comes to applying them to fact patters? E&E's aren't necessarily helpful because a lot of the questions aren't really applicable if I'm being asked to applying one "interpretation" of the law vs another.

I.E., "Defendant would argue which interpretation of 'simple battery? What about prosecutor? Explain."

nightmare.

oh, and closed book.

blerg

Re: Crim Test Coming Up - MPC vs. Common Law

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Dressler.

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:43 pm

What makes Dressler better than LaFave?

blerg

Postby blerg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Dressler is an outline with a lot of explanation. It switches back and forth really cleanly and I find it easier to pull the BLL from.

Oh, and I meant this, not the full hornbook:http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Black-Letter-Outline/dp/0314152334

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 pm

Just to be clear, Dressler is "Understanding Criminal Law" right? Not like a commercial outline, or are there more?
Thanks

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:47 pm

blerg wrote:Dressler is an outline with a lot of explanation. It switches back and forth really cleanly and I find it easier to pull the BLL from.

Oh, and I meant this, not the full hornbook:http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Black-Letter-Outline/dp/0314152334

Chunks of it are up on Westlaw for free. Or they were a week ago at least.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:47 pm

cgs230 wrote:Just to be clear, Dressler is "Understanding Criminal Law" right? Not like a commercial outline, or are there more?
Thanks

That's the hornbook (which is great, btw)

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:50 pm

is there another book he wrote?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:51 pm

blerg wrote:Dressler is an outline with a lot of explanation. It switches back and forth really cleanly and I find it easier to pull the BLL from.

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:00 pm

sorry not sure how i missed that haha

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 am

Use your casebook, bro. Look at the beginning notes and After Notes to see what the authors say about MPC/Common Law/Minority rules. I've been starting to do this too.

And yes, Dressler helps somewhat.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Dressler's good at that common law v. mpc comparison crap.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:56 pm

zeth006 wrote:Use your casebook, bro. Look at the beginning notes and After Notes to see what the authors say about MPC/Common Law/Minority rules. I've been starting to do this too.

And yes, Dressler helps somewhat.

yeah... I've found that the notes actually do a better job than the supplements, just not as conveniently organized

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:54 pm

Dressler's Hornbook saved the trainwreck that I was after reading his casebook. I swear is like 2 different people wrote these things. The casebook is some of the worst stuff I have ever read, includes an insane amount of useless material that cannot possibly be used on the exam or in any other way really, has excerpts from random novels and articles that waste space and has very little a actual law or elements, instead opting for random philosophical tangents all amounting to your asking you "Is this fair?". After reading the casebook for 2 months with about 4 pages of notes TOTAL for my pathetic excuse of a criminal law class I was desperate and picked up the hornbook. That hornbook not only cuts out all the pointless drivel from the casebook but actually has, you know, LAW in it. Elements, statutes, common law versus MPC, etc. If I had to do the entire class all over again I would never have even opened Dressler's casebook and just read the hornbook.

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Dressler's Hornbook saved the trainwreck that I was after reading his casebook. I swear is like 2 different people wrote these things. The casebook is some of the worst stuff I have ever read, includes an insane amount of useless material that cannot possibly be used on the exam or in any other way really, has excerpts from random novels and articles that waste space and has very little a actual law or elements, instead opting for random philosophical tangents all amounting to your asking you "Is this fair?". After reading the casebook for 2 months with about 4 pages of notes TOTAL for my pathetic excuse of a criminal law class I was desperate and picked up the hornbook. That hornbook not only cuts out all the pointless drivel from the casebook but actually has, you know, LAW in it. Elements, statutes, common law versus MPC, etc. If I had to do the entire class all over again I would never have even opened Dressler's casebook and just read the hornbook.

Sounds familiar. What is it with crim? Shouldn't that be the most fun?

random5483

Postby random5483 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Dressler's book is a pain to navigate (casebook), but luckily for me, our crim professor tends to give us variants of the rules. On the negative side she gives us like 5 rules (CL, MPC, Modern Minority, Modern Majority, State Specific) for almost every crime/defense. I won't complain though. It's one of the two classes I don't need to use an outline to actually figure out the rules.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:17 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Dressler's Hornbook saved the trainwreck that I was after reading his casebook. I swear is like 2 different people wrote these things. The casebook is some of the worst stuff I have ever read, includes an insane amount of useless material that cannot possibly be used on the exam or in any other way really, has excerpts from random novels and articles that waste space and has very little a actual law or elements, instead opting for random philosophical tangents all amounting to your asking you "Is this fair?". After reading the casebook for 2 months with about 4 pages of notes TOTAL for my pathetic excuse of a criminal law class I was desperate and picked up the hornbook. That hornbook not only cuts out all the pointless drivel from the casebook but actually has, you know, LAW in it. Elements, statutes, common law versus MPC, etc. If I had to do the entire class all over again I would never have even opened Dressler's casebook and just read the hornbook.

I feel the same way. I've been reading the Hornbook all along with the class but finally gave up the casebook completely. Hearing someone else say that makes me feel so much better in my decision. Has anyone found any good practice exams for MPC vs CL? our professor only had one and refuses to provide sample answers. Thanks!

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:05 am

Dressler is a trip. He fucking cites himself in his own book. Not that it's useless... it's a fine book. But he fucking cites his own articles in his casebook. And at least once he formally cites his casebook... in his casebook.

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:59 am

waiting on those notes to come. wow, no wonder everyone comes in thinking crim rules and then is like... eh..what is this?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”