Really bad shape for exams, seeking advice

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
zeth006

Re: Really bad shape for exams, seeking advice

Postby zeth006 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 am

nooyyllib wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Doubt he's worse off than I am.

Crim-I mostly understood what was going on, but now I'm barely learning how to APPLY the concepts to the practice exams. Still have yet to take one on my own

Civ Pro-I was lost for most of the time until just recently. I'm decently confident once I relook over all my notes and go through my supps, everything will become crystal clear.

Contracts-I'm in trouble for this class. Kind of understood what was going on, was lost for probably half the class. I'm told that supplemental outlines will clear things up.

I heard Ks was a complete bitch. Not looking forward to it next semester

Not really. It's just the way my prof teaches it and the stuff he expects us to know.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 am

zeth006 wrote:Contracts-I'm in trouble for this class. Kind of understood what was going on, was lost for probably half the class. I'm told that supplemental outlines will clear things up.

K's is my tough class too. I've been alternating between Blum's e&e and Chirelstein. Chirelstein write's in more of narrative form, so sometimes I find the e&e easier to follow. For the really important rules my prof stresses, I read through a little in Farnsworth.

I follow along in class most of the time, but the supplements have been a huge help.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:13 am

CordeliusX wrote:Hey all,

I'm screwed. I've spent all my time reading and note-taking, often not even remembering the very notes I'm taking down each evening.

I have not read any supplements.

I have been, due to my chosen "method", outlining everything I read. But I might not even understand what I've been writing down (ie it might be better to just re-read than to read my corrupted notes/outlines)

I feel like, despite all the actual reading, I've learnt nothing. I have yet to really feel comfortable with basic definitions, and all the classes bore the hell out of me to varying degrees.

I am just aiming for "OK" grades this time around. So please let me know which barebones supplements should help me, with my notes, get into "you know this shit well enough" territory? I really just want to feel comfortable with the basic ideas, and get most of the way there. MANY THANKS

I've felt similarly at various points in the semester.

I think part of my problem is I compare my sum total of knowledge against the entire class' sum total of knowledge. When someone knows something I don't, I take it a little hard, and it motivates me to work harder. But think about it... people raise their hands in class when they know answers... that doesn't mean they know the answer to everything. (altho i'm sure there are some really smart, hard workers who know a ton). We're comparing our knowledge against the collective knowledge of the class.

Point is, I bet a lot of the class feels the same as you.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

I'm screwed. I've spent all my time reading and note-taking, often not even remembering the very notes I'm taking down each evening.

I have been, due to my chosen "method", outlining everything I read. But I might not even understand what I've been writing down (ie it might be better to just re-read than to read my corrupted notes/outlines)

I feel like, despite all the actual reading, I've learnt nothing. I have yet to really feel comfortable with basic definitions, and all the classes bore the hell out of me to varying degrees.

I am just aiming for "OK" grades this time around. So please let me know which barebones supplements should help me, with my notes, get into "you know this shit well enough" territory? I really just want to feel comfortable with the basic ideas, and get most of the way there. MANY THANKS

Ummm, if you're a 1L, join the club. We all feel that way. Chill out, grab a coffee, and pull yourself together. You'll be fine.

wait, we do?

op, i suggest just reading e&es at this point.

Not to the point of OP having a shit fit, but if you're not at least questioning how you stack up to your peers/questioning whether you REALLY understand the material, you're probably either missing something or are in your own world (i.e. the drunk f**ks in the back of the class in my section...daily facepalm at those folks).

AsianCurveKiller

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 pm

You should just give up. Everyone works hard, and grades fall where they would have anyway. The curve is set before the semester even starts.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Not to the point of OP having a shit fit, but if you're not at least questioning how you stack up to your peers/questioning whether you REALLY understand the material, you're probably either missing something or are in your own world (i.e. the drunk f**ks in the back of the class in my section...daily facepalm at those folks).

+1

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:31 pm

AsianCurveKiller wrote:You should just give up. Everyone works hard, and grades fall where they would have anyway. The curve is set before the semester even starts.

I love that this is your first post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AsianCurveKiller

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:41 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
AsianCurveKiller wrote:You should just give up. Everyone works hard, and grades fall where they would have anyway. The curve is set before the semester even starts.

I love that this is your first post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

All you can do is work hard.

Sounded worse than I meant. Just trying to decrease stress.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:29 pm

stocksly33 wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Contracts-I'm in trouble for this class. Kind of understood what was going on, was lost for probably half the class. I'm told that supplemental outlines will clear things up.

K's is my tough class too. I've been alternating between Blum's e&e and Chirelstein. Chirelstein write's in more of narrative form, so sometimes I find the e&e easier to follow. For the really important rules my prof stresses, I read through a little in Farnsworth.

I follow along in class most of the time, but the supplements have been a huge help.

Yeah. That's my main problem. Civ Pro started becoming pretty clear when i started reading E&E. Didn't read my supplements nearly enough for K. Learned my lesson.

Bright side is I now have a decent idea of what needs to be done.

Rock on, people.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Your system is fine, start doing some hypos and take one or two to each professor for their feedback. That's where the shit really gets solid.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”