Really bad shape for exams, seeking advice

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
CordeliusX

Really bad shape for exams, seeking advice

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Hey all,

I'm screwed. I've spent all my time reading and note-taking, often not even remembering the very notes I'm taking down each evening.

I have not read any supplements.

I have been, due to my chosen "method", outlining everything I read. But I might not even understand what I've been writing down (ie it might be better to just re-read than to read my corrupted notes/outlines)

I feel like, despite all the actual reading, I've learnt nothing. I have yet to really feel comfortable with basic definitions, and all the classes bore the hell out of me to varying degrees.

I am just aiming for "OK" grades this time around. So please let me know which barebones supplements should help me, with my notes, get into "you know this shit well enough" territory? I really just want to feel comfortable with the basic ideas, and get most of the way there. MANY THANKS

chicagolaw2013

Re: Really bad shape for exams, seeking advice

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Hey all,

I'm screwed. I've spent all my time reading and note-taking, often not even remembering the very notes I'm taking down each evening.

I have been, due to my chosen "method", outlining everything I read. But I might not even understand what I've been writing down (ie it might be better to just re-read than to read my corrupted notes/outlines)

I feel like, despite all the actual reading, I've learnt nothing. I have yet to really feel comfortable with basic definitions, and all the classes bore the hell out of me to varying degrees.

I am just aiming for "OK" grades this time around. So please let me know which barebones supplements should help me, with my notes, get into "you know this shit well enough" territory? I really just want to feel comfortable with the basic ideas, and get most of the way there. MANY THANKS

Ummm, if you're a 1L, join the club. We all feel that way. Chill out, grab a coffee, and pull yourself together. You'll be fine.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:58 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:

Ummm, if you're a 1L, join the club. We all feel that way. Chill out, grab a coffee, and pull yourself together. You'll be fine.

+1.

It's not about how much you know, it's about how much more you know than your classmates. I'd be willing to bet there's a strong percentage of your class that is in the same boat.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Woah, month before exams and you are already throwing in the towel re: good grades just because you haven't read supplements?

First of all, supplements are not necessary to get good grades. Plenty of people get good grades without touching anything other than the casebook.

Second, even if you feel you do need some clarification, there is a ton of time left to get caught up if you are diligent. Grab a solid commercial outline if you need help with what the black letter law is.

Third, have you been using hypotheticals and examples? This will help crystallize and internalize rules that you may have trouble remembering.

Point is there's no reason to panic.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm

traehekat wrote:Woah, month before exams and you are already throwing in the towel re: good grades just because you haven't read supplements?

First of all, supplements are not necessary to get good grades. Plenty of people get good grades without touching anything other than the casebook.

Second, even if you feel you do need some clarification, there is a ton of time left to get caught up if you are diligent. Grab a solid commercial outline if you need help with what the black letter law is.

Third, have you been using hypotheticals and examples? This will help crystallize and internalize rules that you may have trouble remembering.

Appreciate the chill pill from everyone, but as I see it, I have about a week to study.

I don't think I can be motivated to study ON TOP of still taking classes. It's fucked up. I am not a multi-tasker and I've chosen to return home for Thanksgiving so that burns me bad. Can't expect to do too much work then.

So that's why I'm panicking. I feel like I just don't know jack, others do, and I don't care enough about this boring crap. :?

I can't study for my exams in one week, so I'm hoping to choose one or two to really "try" on and try to glide through the rest. Hence, why I am asking which supplements or whatever provide the "barebones" that will at least pass me.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:20 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
traehekat wrote:Woah, month before exams and you are already throwing in the towel re: good grades just because you haven't read supplements?

Appreciate the chill pill from everyone, but as I see it, I have about a week to study.

I don't think I can be motivated to study ON TOP of still taking classes. It's fucked up. I am not a multi-tasker and I've chosen to return home for Thanksgiving so that burns me bad. Can't expect to do too much work then.

So that's why I'm panicking. I feel like I just don't know jack, others do, and I don't care enough about this boring crap. :?

I can't study for my exams in one week, so I'm hoping to choose one or two to really "try" on and try to glide through the rest. Hence, why I am asking which supplements or whatever provide the "barebones" that will at least pass me.

If you write your name on the test, they'll pass you. There's no incentive to not pass you. A law school will give out Cs until the cows come home to keep that tuition money flowing.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:20 pm

sorry but sounds like you are not cut out to be a lawyer.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Two things

First, none of us understand this shit. Not a single person in your class does. Not me, not you, sometimes not even the professor. Just be prepared to make your best points and follow through with any arguments doing both sides. Get getting to maybe and read it (takes a few hours). Apply it. Don't ever aim for "OK" grades. Go into it planning on doing the best you can, cause that is all you can do.

Secondly, classes bore you? Get a smartphone or computer and learn to love wikipedia.... It'll keep you awake and either look up related material or random crap. I spent one of my classes today reading about mobius strips then a lot of the relevant links. I was able to pay attention plus not waste that time on crap that bores me and in the end won't matter.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:40 pm

OGR3 wrote:It's not about how much you know, it's about how much more you know write down than your classmates.

FTFY.

Unitas wrote:Secondly, classes bore you? Get a smartphone or computer and learn to love wikipedia.... It'll keep you awake and either look up related material or random crap. I spent one of my classes today reading about mobius strips then a lot of the relevant links. I was able to pay attention plus not waste that time on crap that bores me and in the end won't matter.

So true.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:06 pm

You're fine, I spoke with a 2L who said he picked up a Nutshell for Torts 3 days before the exam because he said he didnt understand a single thing and he got a B+. Look over the notes, apply what you can, read Getting to Maybe, pick up a Nutshell for every class you have if you're entirely lost.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:39 pm

CordeliusX wrote:

Why do you want to be a lawyer? If you can't buck up, multitask, and get shit done for law school, how do you expect to handle being a lawyer? Do you expect to only work on "interesting" matters or get "interesting" assignments or not be pressed for time or not have to work on more than 1 project at a time?

The point is this - you need to grow up and learn some discipline. You have a job right now, and that's to learn the material. Suck it up, go to class, and then go and read your notes and synthesize this for ALL your classes.

If you're not willing to try then I don't understand why you're wasting your time in law school.

abudaba

Postby abudaba » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Why do you want to be a lawyer? If you can't buck up, multitask, and get shit done for law school, how do you expect to handle being a lawyer? Do you expect to only work on "interesting" matters or get "interesting" assignments or not be pressed for time or not have to work on more than 1 project at a time?

The point is this - you need to grow up and learn some discipline. You have a job right now, and that's to learn the material. Suck it up, go to class, and then go and read your notes and synthesize this for ALL your classes.

If you're not willing to try then I don't understand why you're wasting your time in law school.

harsh man!

ps- ur missing a (potentially) major distinction between law school and practice:

$ OUT to read uninteresting material vs $ IN to read uninteresting material
Last edited by abudaba on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:18 pm

if you realize that you are fighting yourself just to get to study... then maybe this isnt for you. Its better to realize this now, then after you have spent more money on school. Finish the term, and over break do some self reflection to see if this is really for you. If not, then move on to the next event in your life.
whatever you decide, you will be fine

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:29 pm

abudaba wrote:$ OUT to read uninteresting material vs $ IN to read uninteresting material

It's going to be $$$$$$$ OUT x lifetime if s/he keeps this up and keep attending.

Or maybe daddy's paying

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:49 pm

FWIW, I've noticed among my classmates that sometimes the people who think they're confused/behind are actually just more self-aware and dedicated to seeing the big picture than those around them. It's like they're the only ones with the initiative to poke their heads out of the trenches and take stock of the situation, but that then gives them the false impression that they're the only ones being shot at.

Also FWIW I dunno if you need to be a multi-tasker per se to study while still taking classes. Classes+reading don't take up all your waking hours, so you still have adequate time to go back and as a separate activity review and synthesize the material. I think evenings are a great time for reviewing/outlining/whatever because you can spread out at home and be more relaxed with it. Reviewing seems to take more thought but less concentration than reading, if that makes any sense.

abudaba wrote:ps- ur missing a (potentially) major distinction between law school and practice:

Well, if you're salaried it's more like "$ keeps flowing in at the same rate as long as you read all the uninteresting material you are told to read; otherwise bad things happen."

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 pm

nooyyllib wrote:sorry but sounds like you are not cut out to be a lawyer.

Because first semester 1Ls can say this.

lol

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:48 pm

abudaba wrote:
traehekat (in reality vamedic03) wrote:Why do you want to be a lawyer? If you can't buck up, multitask, and get shit done for law school, how do you expect to handle being a lawyer? Do you expect to only work on "interesting" matters or get "interesting" assignments or not be pressed for time or not have to work on more than 1 project at a time?

harsh man!

ps- ur missing a (potentially) major distinction between law school and practice:

please note that abudaba here fails at quoting people. i did not say this. vamedic03 did. i would not question whether someone is cut out to be a lawyer just because they are struggling a bit with their first year.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:27 pm

OGR3 wrote:It's not about how much you know, it's about how much more you know than your classmates.

No, it's about how well you perform on the exam relative to your classmates.

And how well you perform on the exam isn't that strongly related to "how much" you know. The material in any law school class is pretty much finite, and you don't get brownie points for knowing holdings of cases you were never assigned, doctrine the prof never told you about, etc.

abudaba

Postby abudaba » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:23 am

traehekat wrote:please note that abudaba here fails at quoting people. i did not say this. vamedic03 did. i would not question whether someone is cut out to be a lawyer just because they are struggling a bit with their first year.

oops sorry bout the misrepresentation I'll fix that, thanks for the notification - I'll be sure to be more careful next time :wink:

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:38 am

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:sorry but sounds like you are not cut out to be a lawyer.

Because first semester 1Ls can say this.

lol

Forgot to add "discretion" but I'm pretty sure I'm on point

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:40 am

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 am

Wow. I'm stunned at the number of non jackass, mature, realistic, yet encouraging responses that were given to the OP in this thread. It's almost like this isn't TLS or something. OP I'm right along with you. Good luck and listen to what everyone is saying; both of us need to.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:48 am

Doubt he's worse off than I am.

Crim-I mostly understood what was going on, but now I'm barely learning how to APPLY the concepts to the practice exams. Still have yet to take one on my own

Civ Pro-I was lost for most of the time until just recently. I'm decently confident once I relook over all my notes and go through my supps, everything will become crystal clear.

Contracts-I'm in trouble for this class. Kind of understood what was going on, was lost for probably half the class. I'm told that supplemental outlines will clear things up.

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 am

zeth006 wrote:Doubt he's worse off than I am.

Crim-I mostly understood what was going on, but now I'm barely learning how to APPLY the concepts to the practice exams. Still have yet to take one on my own

Civ Pro-I was lost for most of the time until just recently. I'm decently confident once I relook over all my notes and go through my supps, everything will become crystal clear.

Contracts-I'm in trouble for this class. Kind of understood what was going on, was lost for probably half the class. I'm told that supplemental outlines will clear things up.

I heard Ks was a complete bitch. Not looking forward to it next semester

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 am

I'm in the same boat as the OP (at least i feel like im lost). Although, I did pretty well on my civ pro midterm, but... K's? Awful. The worst part was a friend of mine walked into the exam 15 minutes late, hand wrote his answer, and still scored 1.5 points higher than me. I was totally discouraged.

(grading system is 1-6)
Last edited by soaponarope on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”