Closed Note Exams

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
missvik218

Closed Note Exams

Postby missvik218 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Hey y'all it's been awhile .. obviously been busy with school and whatnot.

I'm looking for tips on studying for closed note exams. My Torts and Civ Pro exams are no notes/outlines/books. HELP!

stayway

Re: Closed Note Exams

Postby stayway » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:39 pm

missvik218 wrote:Hey y'all it's been awhile .. obviously been busy with school and whatnot.

I'm looking for tips on studying for closed note exams. My Torts and Civ Pro exams are no notes/outlines/books. HELP!

Memorize via practice exams

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Maybe practice writing little "blurbs" about how you would start an answer talking about a battery issue, assault issue, etc.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking .. something along the lines of notecards per COA with points of discussion for each (for Torts). Then obviously looking at a bunch of practice exams, I'm just going to feel so naked going in there.

Is it worth outlining these at all? I have been considering making one for Civ Pro (because it's so linear and connected) to work off of and just pair it down to a skeleton which I'll memorize and write down immediately when I get into the exam. Is there a better way of doing this?

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:53 pm

missvik218 wrote:Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking .. something along the lines of notecards per COA with points of discussion for each (for Torts). Then obviously looking at a bunch of practice exams, I'm just going to feel so naked going in there.

Is it worth outlining these at all? I have been considering making one for Civ Pro (because it's so linear and connected) to work off of and just pair it down to a skeleton which I'll memorize and write down immediately when I get into the exam. Is there a better way of doing this?

My torts exam is closed book and I'm just learning the material as I'm outlining. I plan on doing bunch of practice exams as soon as I wrap up the outline.

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:33 am

Just met with successful 2Ls who talked about how they approached closed note exams...Make an outline and memorize it. Note cards should help with memorization. Then take practice exams. Also, for our closed note torts and civ pro exams, we're suppose to induce mental vomit. As long as it's relevant, it needs to be in the answer. (Ironically, on our open note contracts exam, we're suppose to be as succinct as possible. Go figure. :roll: ) Good luck and happy studying.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:38 am

A checklist helped me on my midterm. I memorized the checklist and wrote it down once the exam started, then things started coming back once I saw the words on paper.

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 am

robin600 wrote:A checklist helped me on my midterm. I memorized the checklist and wrote it down once the exam started, then things started coming back once I saw the words on paper.

This is key. I forgot to do this on my torts midterm and missed a major issue (go figure).

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:01 am

solotee wrote:
robin600 wrote:A checklist helped me on my midterm. I memorized the checklist and wrote it down once the exam started, then things started coming back once I saw the words on paper.

This is key. I forgot to do this on my torts midterm and missed a major issue (go figure).

Thanks guys, this is pretty consistent with what I've heard from 2Ls here.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”