LEEWS Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re-do LEEWS?

Yes, it'll be helpful
27%
No, time is better spent doing practice exams
45%
Just read through the Primer
27%

Total votes: 11

vsg211

LEEWS Question

Postby vsg211 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:41 am

I did the LEEWS audio guide in the beginning of the semester and at first was really good with keeping up with the exercises. After about two weeks I got more caught up with reading and outlining and just stopped. Now I'm debating whether or not I should spend a day re-doing to the whole program and starting up with the exercises again or just forget about it and go straight to my professor's practice exams. For those of you that re-did LEEWS more than halfway through the semester, did you find it useful or a waste of time? Thanks, in advance.

goosey

Re: LEEWS Question

Postby goosey » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 am

Interested in this as well

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:10 pm

To be honest I wouldn't. I have done the LEEWS program, didn't like it, didn't utilize it/nor read the book, and killed my 1L year. I think your time is better spent honing in on outlining, re-outlining, and taking as many practice exams as humanly possible. The benefit of the exams is not only does it solidify the law in your head, but it also makes you spot issues under time pressures - practicing that skill cannot be undervalued when the bulk of your classmates go into the room on test day not knowing how to manage their time skills. Just my opinion though.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:To be honest I wouldn't. I have done the LEEWS program, didn't like it, didn't utilize it/nor read the book, and killed my 1L year. I think your time is better spent honing in on outlining, re-outlining, and taking as many practice exams as humanly possible. The benefit of the exams is not only does it solidify the law in your head, but it also makes you spot issues under time pressures - practicing that skill cannot be undervalued when the bulk of your classmates go into the room on test day not knowing how to manage their time skills. Just my opinion though.

After all the leews-related threads popping up on here I decided to re-read the primer for a refresher and realized that while it was helpful to skim, I agree with the above post. I switched over to practice hypos fairly quickly into my "leews review" because its simply a much better use of your time. I feel like the things that I got from leews (time management, flagging things, etc.) are nice enough and now I'd rather get to work on my professors' old exams.

I reviewed my crim midterm and realized I missed such MAJOR things on there, all a result of time pressure and not being used to spotting issues under time constraints..and definitely, mastering that will be much more helpful than mastering leews, though it can be argued the two go together

vsg211

Postby vsg211 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:09 pm

goosey wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:To be honest I wouldn't. I have done the LEEWS program, didn't like it, didn't utilize it/nor read the book, and killed my 1L year. I think your time is better spent honing in on outlining, re-outlining, and taking as many practice exams as humanly possible. The benefit of the exams is not only does it solidify the law in your head, but it also makes you spot issues under time pressures - practicing that skill cannot be undervalued when the bulk of your classmates go into the room on test day not knowing how to manage their time skills. Just my opinion though.

After all the leews-related threads popping up on here I decided to re-read the primer for a refresher and realized that while it was helpful to skim, I agree with the above post. I switched over to practice hypos fairly quickly into my "leews review" because its simply a much better use of your time. I feel like the things that I got from leews (time management, flagging things, etc.) are nice enough and now I'd rather get to work on my professors' old exams.

I reviewed my crim midterm and realized I missed such MAJOR things on there, all a result of time pressure and not being used to spotting issues under time constraints..and definitely, mastering that will be much more helpful than mastering leews, though it can be argued the two go together

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Goosey- I think you're completely right. Decided I won't re-do LEEWS but I'll definitely be using the UBE method especially when I first start taking practice exams, along with the other things they recommend. At this point, getting the LEEWS approach down completely would be a waste of time. Good luck with your finals!

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:39 pm

I didn't finish LEEWS, but I didn't find it very helpful. I think it can be a good thing, but is by no means necessary in terms of killing your 1L year. I think it also depends a lot on the school, or more specifically, your professors.

I contemplated going back to it, but I think reading Getting To Maybe again would be a better use of my time. That book's advice seems more generally applicable.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”