How are your outlines looking?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Re: How are your outlines looking?

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Our CivPro class barely touched on the FRCP until we did joinder and the Erie mess and since then it's pretty much been all rules, all the time. Still, at least I'm starting to get the "big picture" view of my prof's course.

I don't see how you can do Erie/Joinder/Pleadings without the FRCP.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:12 pm

keg411 wrote:Our CivPro class barely touched on the FRCP until we did joinder and the Erie mess and since then it's pretty much been all rules, all the time. Still, at least I'm starting to get the "big picture" view of my prof's course.

I don't see how you can do Erie/Joinder/Pleadings without the FRCP.

Collins?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:20 pm

JazzOne wrote:
RVP11 wrote:This thread is now about how great it is to be a 2L with offer in hand.

I took a final exam last week. I starting reading the material about a week before the test, and I didn't make any outline at all. The sad thing is, I still did better than 70% of the class.

TBF - your LSAT score obliterates the 75% at your school. When you're shooting fish in a barrel, does it really matter if you use a .22 or a .45?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 pm

betasteve wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
betasteve wrote:
beach_terror wrote:The bolded was part of GeePee's point, that's choice of law and the Erie aftermath - which you can teach without the use of the FRCP. To decide if you use FRCP or state procedure, if there is a FRCP is on point - you use the rule because thats what the Supremacy Clause dictates. If there isn't, you look at outcome-determinative tests and decide if apply federal law will change the outcome of the case and if it does, then you should apply state law to discourage forum shopping.

FYI - You'd never use state procedure in a federal court.

FYI - This is not really a true statement. It depends on whether something is characterized as procedural versus substantive. Examples - statutes of limitations; choice of law; etc.

So if it is categorized as substantive - then it's not procedure, and what I said didn't apply. Am I being trolled?

If its categorized as procedural by a federal court, then you're correct - however, a state court could consider something procedural while the federal court would consider it to be substantive.

My point is - you took a very nuanced topic and oversimplified it.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Veyron wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
RVP11 wrote:This thread is now about how great it is to be a 2L with offer in hand.

I took a final exam last week. I starting reading the material about a week before the test, and I didn't make any outline at all. The sad thing is, I still did better than 70% of the class.

TBF - your LSAT score obliterates the 75% at your school. When you're shooting fish in a barrel, does it really matter if you use a .22 or a .45?

I was still pretty surprised. I thought I had blown it.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:54 pm

betasteve wrote:
Veyron wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I don't think LSAT is the data point you want to use for this. His 1L grades probably actually support your statement.

My motivation has dropped considerably this year. At first, it was because I was expending so much energy trying to get a job. Once I got a job, I started wondering what difference my grades would make at this point.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:10 pm

betasteve wrote:
JazzOne wrote:My motivation has dropped considerably this year. At first, it was because I was expending so much energy trying to get a job. Once I got a job, I started wondering what difference my grades would make at this point.

Ditto. It's tough to get motivated enough to pound out the work. I guess I am going to latch onto a 'keep the clerking door open' mentality for motivation.

I wish I could muster that motivation, but I really don't have much interest in clerking. And I got uber lucky with my offer. I could not have asked for a better fit. Will you be in Dallas this summer?

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:22 pm

betasteve wrote:
JazzOne wrote:My motivation has dropped considerably this year. At first, it was because I was expending so much energy trying to get a job. Once I got a job, I started wondering what difference my grades would make at this point.

Ditto. It's tough to get motivated enough to pound out the work. I guess I am going to latch onto a 'keep the clerking door open' mentality for motivation.

+1. Suck it, 1L's! (bad karma, knocking on wood to avoid getting noffered)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”