Apparel etiqutte?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
The McRib Is Risen

Re: Apparel etiqutte?

Postby The McRib Is Risen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:36 pm

If you were just wearing your sweatshirt and your buddy went off on you, then he's hypersensitive and probably a loser. However, the odds are you were being a colossal chotch in other respects (e.g. needlessly/constantly mentioning your school in conversation/fake-complaining about how tough the competition is at such a good school/etc.) and the sweatshirt was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:09 pm

DiscoveryDeadline wrote:Had a friend who went to a lower-ranked school go off on me over the last few days for wearing a sweatshirt of my T6 school in front of him. Said it was "bragging," and wouldn't let it go the entire night.

Honest question: If you go to a top law school or undergrad, should you downplay it to the degree that you don't even own a sweatshirt, car decal, etc., etc.?

This is funny. Lots of people here wear their UG stuff to school and while we might make fun of them mercilessly [Duke and Dartmouth...you know who you are] no one actually cares and I've only ever heard it mentioned around close friends as a joke.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:23 pm

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Why in the world would anyone pick "DiscoveryDeadline" as their username? OP, I'm betting you're just a gigantic douchefrieghter and that's what your real issue is.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm

I'm at a T10 where almost everyone went to a much more prestigious undergrad than I did and I still have no problem/deep insecurities about wearing gear from my school or the Harvard kids wearing their own gear.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Let's face it the only reason to wear law school gear is to identify with the school. Even more so with prestigious undergrads where the athletics suck.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:20 pm

goodolgil wrote:I'm at a T10 where almost everyone went to a much more prestigious undergrad than I did and I still have no problem/deep insecurities about wearing gear from my school or the Harvard kids wearing their own gear.

I honestly LoL when I see kids wear Harvard or Penn gear because we are all at a T2. I guess that's their way of making themselves feel better about the situation they are in.

DiscoveryDeadline

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:59 pm

paratactical wrote:Why in the world would anyone pick "DiscoveryDeadline" as their username? OP, I'm betting you're just a gigantic douchefrieghter and that's what your real issue is.

Because it was the first phrase I glanced at on a sheet of paper when I signed up for the account. I was at work.

Why be an asshole about it? Seriously? What do you get out of being that way? Out of name-calling on the Internet? Who is the "douchefrieghter"? The person asking an honest question? Or the person trying to provoke people and mercilessly judge them from behind the comfort and protection of their keyboard?

Why be such a dick? What do you get out of that? What pleasure does it seriously bring people to be snarky on the Internet? Is that how boring your real life is?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:00 pm

DiscoveryDeadline wrote: Is that how boring your real life is?

Well, I am waiting for my discovery deadlines at the moment.

DiscoveryDeadline

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:05 pm

paratactical wrote:

It took you one minute to respond.

Clearly, you posted your provocation, then just refreshed all day long waiting anxiously to see how I would react.

Good times. Must have been a really fun day.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 pm

DiscoveryDeadline wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Clearly, you posted your provocation, then just refreshed all day long waiting anxiously to see how I would react.

:lol:

Yes. Obviously. Because there's no "new posts" buttons or notifications. You've got me pegged all right. Good luck at DLA Piper.

DiscoveryDeadline

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:10 pm

paratactical wrote:
DiscoveryDeadline wrote:
paratactical wrote:

:lol:

Yes. Obviously. Because there's no "new posts" buttons or notifications. You've got me pegged all right. Good luck at DLA Piper.

One minute again.

Refresh. Refresh. Refresh.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Yes. I'm not just browsing and posting in various threads. I'm specifically waiting for you. Does it make you feel special?

slacker

Postby slacker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Who cares?

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:04 am

LOLOL I want that damn dinosaur sweatshirt +100

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 am

FishOil wrote:LOLOL I want that damn dinosaur sweatshirt +100

Why are all the best clothes only in kid sizes? :evil:

Postby 12262010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:28 am

paratactical wrote:

we made my friend's ex boyfriend who looks downsy wear a kid's XXXL onesie that said "space" and had various planetary bodies on it for halloween. idk how she was able to have intercourse with him that night... or ever.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:31 am

booyakasha wrote:
paratactical wrote:

we made my friend's ex boyfriend who looks downsy wear a kid's XXXL onesie that said "space" and had various planetary bodies on it for halloween. idk how she was able to have intercourse with him that night... or ever.

Should've got him footie pajamas.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:33 am

booyakasha wrote:
paratactical wrote:

He looks downsy without the onesie?

Postby 12262010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:35 am

paratactical wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Should've got him footie pajamas.

oh, they were footie pajamas, that's what I meant. we had to cut off the feet to make it fit, so he wore it with sneakers. I died a little.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:45 am

GettingReady2010 wrote:I agree that you're friend has an inferiority complex, but aren't you a little old to have school pride?

On a related note, if I ever saw someone wearing a sweatshirt that said "University of Blank Law" or "University of Blank Med," I would :roll: .

eh it's important to love your home, sometimes a school community is someone's home

It is a bit tacky on a fashion level, but who cares

also I bet OP's friend goes to USC or Duke

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Borhas wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:I agree that you're friend has an inferiority complex, but aren't you a little old to have school pride?

On a related note, if I ever saw someone wearing a sweatshirt that said "University of Blank Law" or "University of Blank Med," I would :roll: .

eh it's important to love your home, sometimes a school community is someone's home

Really? USC as in Southern Cal? I find that USC students are more likely than most to wear apparel from their school.

If OJ and Reggie don't embarrass them, nothing will.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:17 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Really? USC as in Southern Cal? I find that USC students are more likely than most to wear apparel from their school.

If OJ and Reggie don't embarrass them, nothing will.

but, man, Nike makes some sweet USC gear.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:20 pm

goodolgil wrote:I'm at a T10 where almost everyone went to a much more prestigious undergrad than I did and I still have no problem/deep insecurities about wearing gear from my school or the Harvard kids wearing their own gear.

+1

I see plenty of people around with Swarthmore, Amherst, Harvard, Stanford, etc. gear and I really couldn't care less. If anything, it makes me feel a little proud of going to a school that attracts people from such prestigious undergrads.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

+1

I see plenty of people around with Swarthmore, Amherst, Harvard, Stanford, etc. gear and I really couldn't care less. If anything, it makes me feel a little proud of going to a school that attracts people from such prestigious undergrads.

What undergrad you went to a function of how good a student you were from ages 14-17. I'm not very impressed unless they got good grades there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”