Apparel etiqutte?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DiscoveryDeadline

Apparel etiqutte?

Postby DiscoveryDeadline » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Had a friend who went to a lower-ranked school go off on me over the last few days for wearing a sweatshirt of my T6 school in front of him. Said it was "bragging," and wouldn't let it go the entire night.

Honest question: If you go to a top law school or undergrad, should you downplay it to the degree that you don't even own a sweatshirt, car decal, etc., etc.?

sophia.olive

Re: Apparel etiqutte?

Postby sophia.olive » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:49 pm

yes

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:53 pm

but but but if I get in I really want the sweatshirt... :(

I'm getting it anyway!

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:53 pm

DiscoveryDeadline wrote:Reply with quote

Your friend needs to grow up a bit. If said friend refuses to mature, then replace her with a new, smarter friend from your T6.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I go to a much higher ranked school than one of my very good friends. I wear my school's stuff around him all the time, never heard a word about it. Lesson is: Get better friends.

Jessep

Postby Jessep » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Your friend is a gigantic, insecure baby who needs to grow up if he/she wants to be a professional.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Tell your friend to retake the LSAT.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Your friend is a crybaby.

This makes me glad that the T10 school I'll be attending next year has so little lay prestige. Nobody whines when I wear the apparel.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:19 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Your friend is a crybaby.

OP, tell your friend that you'll wear whatever the hell you please.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:28 pm

I agree that you're friend has an inferiority complex, but aren't you a little old to have school pride?

On a related note, if I ever saw someone wearing a sweatshirt that said "University of Blank Law" or "University of Blank Med," I would :roll: .

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:35 pm

^^Have you really never seen that?? Because it's super, super common.

OP, sounds like your friend is in a tough place emotionally and you just triggered it. My friends got T6 apparel for me. No, you shouldn't downplay it, that's silly... except maybe until your friend gets sorted. (Does s/he have a job?)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:37 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:I agree that you're friend has an inferiority complex, but aren't you a little old to have school pride?

On a related note, if I ever saw someone wearing a sweatshirt that said "University of Blank Law" or "University of Blank Med," I would :roll: .

Why? Why on earth wouldn't you be proud of your alma mater?

I don't really wear athletic apparel, but I do have "school of law" paraphernalia. I happened to sit next to someone on a plane once who saw it, and introduced himself as a judge (not even an alum of my school, BTW), and spent the trip giving me good career advice. So, roll your eyes all you want; I'm sporting the school spirit.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:39 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:I agree that you're friend has an inferiority complex, but aren't you a little old to have school pride?

Huh. I think grad school pride is awesome, because you worked your ass off to be there. I saw a girl wearing a Harvard Law t-shirt recently and I thought it was rad.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Yes, because we wear it just to impress you.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:49 pm

JazzOne wrote:

Who are you trying to impress with your cloths then? I don't care, though. In fact, if I were you I would make sure to buy the hat and sweatpants to go along with it.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:53 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Who are you trying to impress with your cloths then? I don't care, though. In fact, if I were you I would make sure to buy the hat and sweatpants to go along with it.

So you only wear clothes in order to impress people?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:53 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that impressing people may not be the motive at all? Rolling your eyes about the way someone dresses seems a lot more stuck up than wearing a law school shirt.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:55 pm

JazzOne wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that impressing people may not be the motive at all? Rolling your eyes about the way someone dresses seems a lot more stuck up than wearing a law school shirt.

What's the motive then?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:55 pm

California Babe wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Not the only reason, but it's a reason.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:

What's the motive then?

Your insecurity makes me :roll:

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:16 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:What's the motive then?

I wear law school shirts because I like them and because it sparks conversations with people who have affiliations to the school or to the field of law.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:17 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
California Babe wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Who are you trying to impress with your cloths then? I don't care, though. In fact, if I were you I would make sure to buy the hat and sweatpants to go along with it.

So you wear clothes to impress people, but you roll your eyes when you think other people are doing it?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Renzo wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:

What's the motive then?

Your insecurity makes me :roll:

Makes no sense.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
Renzo wrote:Your insecurity makes me :roll:

Makes no sense.

Trust me, other people will get it .

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:21 pm

California Babe wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:
California Babe wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Who are you trying to impress with your cloths then? I don't care, though. In fact, if I were you I would make sure to buy the hat and sweatpants to go along with it.

So you wear clothes to impress people, but you roll your eyes when you think other people are doing it?

If this is actually your reason, then I don't see any issue. With that said, I think many people wear the aforementioned apparel (i.e. University of BLANK Med/Law) to show off their success. YES, I realize that people do this all the time with cars and designer clothes, but those seem to be much more subtle. I'm not commenting on this any further. I didn't know I was messing with a TLS hornets nest.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”