Report: USNWR folding in December

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4850
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby Borhas » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:02 pm

hierarchies are social constructions, various publications may "reify" them or not, but they will continue to exist regardless of USNWR... still their methodology is largely flawed. I prefer purely 1+ year out of graduation rankings, some sort of criteria that requires salary information of all firm jobs or else counts them as unemployed, some sort of factor including clerckships, and PI, and also make the rankings regional so that people who want to work in particular locations know how they may fare there. Using LSAT and GPA is useful but it largely misses the point, those factors move the perceived quality of school to the hands of 0L's, while using employment #'s will move the perceived quality to the hands of professionals.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 pm

savagedm wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
savagedm wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh Savs...shut your face.

EDIT: And thanks for the TMI about that whole situation we just discussed. LOL.


You are quite welcome and no, I wont shut my face. I have mah rights!


Wait, you do? Something truly is wrong with our legal system if this is true. :lol:


Yeah, I seem to remember some shit happening in 1920 that was just BAD news and has ruined literally EVERYTHING since.


HAHAHA yep, just horrible. We should still, ya know, be in the damn kitchen, cooking you fools dinner in silence, yes?

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby savagedm » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:08 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
savagedm wrote:
Yeah, I seem to remember some shit happening in 1920 that was just BAD news and has ruined literally EVERYTHING since.


HAHAHA yep, just horrible. We should still, ya know, be in the damn kitchen, cooking you fools dinner in silence, yes?


uhhh... I was obviously referring to the US joining the League of Nations and virtually guaranteeing World War 2... God why do you have to be so selfishly insensitive towards other people's?

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:10 pm

savagedm wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
savagedm wrote:
Yeah, I seem to remember some shit happening in 1920 that was just BAD news and has ruined literally EVERYTHING since.


HAHAHA yep, just horrible. We should still, ya know, be in the damn kitchen, cooking you fools dinner in silence, yes?


uhhh... I was obviously referring to the US joining the League of Nations and virtually guaranteeing World War 2... God why do you have to be so selfishly insensitive towards other people's?


"What's the League of Nations?"

Name that TV show.

User avatar
kaftka juice
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby kaftka juice » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:20 pm

omninode wrote:If US News rankings go away, something else will replace them. Too many people have too much invested in the rankings to let them disappear.


This really made me think of somehow making this scenario into a summer movie. The deans of all the schools get together and form some sort of alliance (perhaps with the inner circle called the T14?), some students are rebels trying to shut down the system. Starring...Shia LaBeouf and Kristen Stewart playing the protagonists. Law school deans...Greg Kinnear, and Matthew McConaughey (Vandy)

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby Kabuo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:21 pm

I'd heard that Cooley uses things like square footage, but this is almost too much:

"Library Total Square Footage - In general, the roomier a library, the better it serves. The physical size of the library assures adequate study space, sufficient shelving to make the collection accessible, comfortable offices and meeting space, and separate computer laboratory space.

Non-Library Total Square Footage - A large physical plant assures that a school has adequate classroom space, faculty offices that help to recruit and retain good faculty members, room for student organizations, suitable space for the administration of the school, and a comfortable
environment for legal studies. Generally, the bigger the facility, the better a school is able to operate a high-quality program.

Total Law School Square Footage - The overall picture of a law school's physical plant can be obtained by consideration of both its library and other facilities. A large physical plant not only provides a better frame of reference and infrastructure for legal education, it also demonstrates the viability of the institution as a legal and financial enterprise."

Isn't in clever how this last one basically just allows the two before it to count twice? Those sneaky, objective law school evaluators.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby beach_terror » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:46 am

kaftka juice wrote:
omninode wrote:If US News rankings go away, something else will replace them. Too many people have too much invested in the rankings to let them disappear.


This really made me think of somehow making this scenario into a summer movie. The deans of all the schools get together and form some sort of alliance (perhaps with the inner circle called the T14?), some students are rebels trying to shut down the system. Starring...Shia LaBeouf and Kristen Stewart playing the protagonists. Law school deans...Greg Kinnear, and Matthew McConaughey (Vandy)


I'd see it just because Kristin Stewart is in it.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23644
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby chup » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:14 pm

It will probably resemble that time that CNN stopped producing news to focus on viewers' twitter feeds.

User avatar
kaftka juice
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby kaftka juice » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:22 pm

chup wrote:It will probably resemble that time that CNN stopped producing news to focus on viewers' twitter feeds.


Not that I ever really considered CNN a great news source, but a little part of me died when I found out that was a new segment.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
savagedm wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
savagedm wrote:
Yeah, I seem to remember some shit happening in 1920 that was just BAD news and has ruined literally EVERYTHING since.


HAHAHA yep, just horrible. We should still, ya know, be in the damn kitchen, cooking you fools dinner in silence, yes?


uhhh... I was obviously referring to the US joining the League of Nations and virtually guaranteeing World War 2... God why do you have to be so selfishly insensitive towards other people's?


"What's the League of Nations?"

Name that TV show.

I don't know what that is, Commodore.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:58 pm

I hope it's not the end of J14. Where else will I get my Justin Bieber/Selena Gomez news!??!

GettingReady2010
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby GettingReady2010 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:36 pm

So they are no longer going to publish rankings?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:44 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:So they are no longer going to publish rankings?

RC Fail.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Fast_Fingers wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:There will always be a rankings, and it will always generally resemble the system the USNWR currently uses.

--LinkRemoved--


Dear Admission Committee:

I am currently a 2nd year law student at Stanford Law School. After reviewing the law school rankings on your website, I was duly informed that your law school ranks higher than Stanford Law School. Therefore, I would like to transfer to from Stanford to Cooley. I currently have nearly perfect grades and am an editor of Stanford Law Review. If I apply now, what is the likelihood() of being admitted to Cooley Law School, which is unequivocally a superior law school than my current school.

Sincerely,

Ron


Ron,

Thank you for your e-mail. I would never advise someone to choose a law school based on rankings. To better understand why Cooley publishes these rankings, please read --LinkRemoved--. The decision to attend a particular law school is too important to be decided by rankings.

Our website allows potential law students to compare schools by factors, which can be a useful tool when researching law schools. I would be frightened to think of a potential law student using [our] cumulative ranking ... to decide on a school. I would suggest that someone considering law school visit the campus, speak with faculty, tour the library, learn about clinical opportunities, etc.

It sounds like you are doing very well at Stanford. I would strongly discourage you from transferring. Transfer students lose their grades when they transfer - you have worked too hard to give them up. If you have any more questions about Cooley, I would be happy to answer them. Otherwise, best wishes as you complete your degree at Stanford.

Sincerely,
Brianne


LOL

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:40 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Fast_Fingers wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:There will always be a rankings, and it will always generally resemble the system the USNWR currently uses.

--LinkRemoved--


Dear Admission Committee:

I am currently a 2nd year law student at Stanford Law School. After reviewing the law school rankings on your website, I was duly informed that your law school ranks higher than Stanford Law School. Therefore, I would like to transfer to from Stanford to Cooley. I currently have nearly perfect grades and am an editor of Stanford Law Review. If I apply now, what is the likelihood() of being admitted to Cooley Law School, which is unequivocally a superior law school than my current school.

Sincerely,

Ron


Ron,

Thank you for your e-mail. I would never advise someone to choose a law school based on rankings. To better understand why Cooley publishes these rankings, please read --LinkRemoved--. The decision to attend a particular law school is too important to be decided by rankings.

Our website allows potential law students to compare schools by factors, which can be a useful tool when researching law schools. I would be frightened to think of a potential law student using [our] cumulative ranking ... to decide on a school. I would suggest that someone considering law school visit the campus, speak with faculty, tour the library, learn about clinical opportunities, etc.

It sounds like you are doing very well at Stanford. I would strongly discourage you from transferring. Transfer students lose their grades when they transfer - you have worked too hard to give them up. If you have any more questions about Cooley, I would be happy to answer them. Otherwise, best wishes as you complete your degree at Stanford.

Sincerely,
Brianne


LOL


BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA FTW FTW FTW

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Report: USNWR folding in December

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:47 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
Fast_Fingers wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:There will always be a rankings, and it will always generally resemble the system the USNWR currently uses.

--LinkRemoved--


Dear Admission Committee:

I am currently a 2nd year law student at Stanford Law School. After reviewing the law school rankings on your website, I was duly informed that your law school ranks higher than Stanford Law School. Therefore, I would like to transfer to from Stanford to Cooley. I currently have nearly perfect grades and am an editor of Stanford Law Review. If I apply now, what is the likelihood() of being admitted to Cooley Law School, which is unequivocally a superior law school than my current school.

Sincerely,

Ron


Ron,

Thank you for your e-mail. I would never advise someone to choose a law school based on rankings. To better understand why Cooley publishes these rankings, please read --LinkRemoved--. The decision to attend a particular law school is too important to be decided by rankings.

Our website allows potential law students to compare schools by factors, which can be a useful tool when researching law schools. I would be frightened to think of a potential law student using [our] cumulative ranking ... to decide on a school. I would suggest that someone considering law school visit the campus, speak with faculty, tour the library, learn about clinical opportunities, etc.

It sounds like you are doing very well at Stanford. I would strongly discourage you from transferring. Transfer students lose their grades when they transfer - you have worked too hard to give them up. If you have any more questions about Cooley, I would be happy to answer them. Otherwise, best wishes as you complete your degree at Stanford.

Sincerely,
Brianne


LOL


BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA FTW FTW FTW

LOL




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests