How do you politely refuse to share notes?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby onthecusp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:53 pm

How about offering her notes for sex? I don't think it's an unreasonable proposition; she's likely to refuse...problem solved.

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby onthecusp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Also, if anyone asks me for notes, I just tell them that I get them all from ecasebriefs.

afa_brandon
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby afa_brandon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:57 pm

If it's a case of GV syndrome, just explain you can't, in good conscience, enable her. Help those who help themselves.

SpiteFence
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby SpiteFence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Things to consider: OP, assuming your gunnerificness translate into performance at OCI, you'll be missing days worth of classes Fall of 2L year. But you know who won't be missing class then? The dummy who didn't take her own notes 1L and proceeded to strike out at OCI. Assuming you shared notes 1L, you now have a third-rate note taker from whom you can get notes from.

sissyclark
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby sissyclark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Just say: "You know what a beautiful animal is? A horse. Yeah, with a beautiful mane. Unbelievable muscle tone. When it runs it looks like poetry in motion. It's the most beautiful thing on earth. Sometimes when you feed a horse, its lips will tickle your hand...just tickle it just a little bit. It makes me giggle sometimes. (giggle for effect) I don't know.....I guess what I'm trying to say is.....if you ask for my notes again without actually having put in your own work......I'm gonna bite into your head like an apple. Thanks for listening to my horse story. I could talk about ponies all day long."

LjakW
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby LjakW » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 pm

vamedic03 wrote:I freely share my notes with anyone I know and I'll send my outlines to anyone I know if they need them. Neither my notes nor my outlines hold any sort of secret power. The value of my notes is the process of taking them and generating a written record of the class. The value of the outline is the synthesis that occurred in making it.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby Ragged » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Has anyone suggested first asking for sex? You should do that.

seersucker
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby seersucker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 pm

lolol

I purposely tried not to sound like myself out of paranoia that she would read this (although that would actually solve my problems). Anyway, I'm amused that everyone assumed I was male.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:33 pm

seersucker wrote:lolol

I purposely tried not to sound like myself out of paranoia that she would read this (although that would actually solve my problems). Anyway, I'm amused that everyone assumed I was male.


If you're not, I think they would give the same advice.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby sundance95 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Smile, say you'll email them that night, never do it.

When she asks again, smile, say you'll email them soon, never do it.

Rinse and repeat as necessary. 3-4 times should do the trick.

seersucker
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby seersucker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:
seersucker wrote:lolol

I purposely tried not to sound like myself out of paranoia that she would read this (although that would actually solve my problems). Anyway, I'm amused that everyone assumed I was male.


If you're not, I think they would give the same advice.


Yeah I guess I could still ask for sex.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby Oban » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 pm

I'd give my notes away, but i take so little(except for in my contracts clas)s and they are mostly cryptic that they could not help anyone

User avatar
theskippa10
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:01 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby theskippa10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Oban wrote:I'd give my notes away, but i take so little(except for in my contracts clas)s and they are mostly cryptic that they could not help anyone


cool story bro

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby Oban » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:50 pm

good times, mang

new2game09
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby new2game09 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 pm

sissyclark wrote:Just say: "You know what a beautiful animal is? A horse. Yeah, with a beautiful mane. Unbelievable muscle tone. When it runs it looks like poetry in motion. It's the most beautiful thing on earth. Sometimes when you feed a horse, its lips will tickle your hand...just tickle it just a little bit. It makes me giggle sometimes. (giggle for effect) I don't know.....I guess what I'm trying to say is.....if you ask for my notes again without actually having put in your own work......I'm gonna bite into your head like an apple. Thanks for listening to my horse story. I could talk about ponies all day long."


Lol, wherz this from? it sounds really familiar

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby mths » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 pm

vamedic03 wrote:I freely share my notes with anyone I know and I'll send my outlines to anyone I know if they need them. Neither my notes nor my outlines hold any sort of secret power. The value of my notes is the process of taking them and generating a written record of the class. The value of the outline is the synthesis that occurred in making it.

I could not agree with you more. There is absolutely no reason to care about sharing information. My section has an outline and note bank just in case anyone needs something they missed...pretty sure we're unique in this though.

Miniver
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby Miniver » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:53 am

...
Last edited by Miniver on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:21 am

dood wrote:ok for serious: as someone who skips approx 1/3 of my classes, even my best friends will say, "dood, if u'r sick or something no problem; and i can give u a couple freebies, but im not taking notes for u just so u can sleep in 3 days outta the week"

and i respect that b/c its the truth.

Really? Random people have offered to send me their entire semester's worth of notes at various times this year......and my only excuse for missing classes is having a ton of callbacks + being really lazy in October (have missed about 60% of my classes).

What kind of gunner hellholes do you guys attend? Dang.

Edit: unless you're all 1Ls. I understand being pissy about notes as 1Ls.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby 12262010 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 am

Tell her no and hope that you never need a favor from her.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby KMaine » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:32 am

It is badass to share notes with anybody who asks. You get to think, "now you have all of my information and I will STILL do better than you."

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby 12262010 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 am

KMaine wrote:It is badass to share notes with anybody who asks. You get to think, "now you have all of my information and I will STILL do better than you."


My friends and I share everything, but we're not complete assholes.

digitalcntrl
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby digitalcntrl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:28 pm

Frankly I ask for notes/outlines from my friends all the time. I did not do this as a 1L, but as 3L evening student, I am just tired of this sh*t, it feels like the same thing over and over again. Moreover the knowledge is absolutely useless to my long-term career that I work on during the day. The best way to avoid these situations is to form a good relationship with other person. If they are polite to me when I am in need, I respond to their kindness by trying to be proactive in trying to help them out. When I locate good outlines from previous classes I pass it off to them or ask them if they are taking any class of which I have outlines for. Frankly the fact that one person does well out 40-90 people is not going to really affect you grade. Yes a few weirdos don't reciprocate the help the get but the vast majority of people will go out of there way to help you.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:52 pm

Coming from the other side: i'm too scared to ask for notes even though I have a legitimately good reason for missing a ton of classes. I just hate being "that guy", because a persons notes are a product of THEIR hard work and attendance, and it feels weird asking them to let you reap the benefit without having to share the effort.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby mths » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:57 pm

booyakasha wrote:My friends and I share everything, but we're not complete assholes.

No kidding, I had no idea this was such an issue with people.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby IAFG » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Every time I have shared something with someone, they have helped me by, say, fleshing out a weak element of my understanding or otherwise giving me something back. If she found one hole in your understanding, it would be worth it. Not sharing/swapping info is a great way to only know what you do now.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: davey jones, kakistocracy, laqueredup, LawHammer, stig2014 and 11 guests