How do you politely refuse to share notes? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
onthecusp

Bronze

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Post by onthecusp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:53 pm

How about offering her notes for sex? I don't think it's an unreasonable proposition; she's likely to refuse...problem solved.

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Also, if anyone asks me for notes, I just tell them that I get them all from ecasebriefs.

afa_brandon

New

Post by afa_brandon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:57 pm

If it's a case of GV syndrome, just explain you can't, in good conscience, enable her. Help those who help themselves.

SpiteFence

Bronze

Post by SpiteFence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Things to consider: OP, assuming your gunnerificness translate into performance at OCI, you'll be missing days worth of classes Fall of 2L year. But you know who won't be missing class then? The dummy who didn't take her own notes 1L and proceeded to strike out at OCI. Assuming you shared notes 1L, you now have a third-rate note taker from whom you can get notes from.

sissyclark

New

Post by sissyclark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Just say: "You know what a beautiful animal is? A horse. Yeah, with a beautiful mane. Unbelievable muscle tone. When it runs it looks like poetry in motion. It's the most beautiful thing on earth. Sometimes when you feed a horse, its lips will tickle your hand...just tickle it just a little bit. It makes me giggle sometimes. (giggle for effect) I don't know.....I guess what I'm trying to say is.....if you ask for my notes again without actually having put in your own work......I'm gonna bite into your head like an apple. Thanks for listening to my horse story. I could talk about ponies all day long."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 pm

vamedic03 wrote:I freely share my notes with anyone I know and I'll send my outlines to anyone I know if they need them. Neither my notes nor my outlines hold any sort of secret power. The value of my notes is the process of taking them and generating a written record of the class. The value of the outline is the synthesis that occurred in making it.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Has anyone suggested first asking for sex? You should do that.

seersucker

New

Post by seersucker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 pm

lolol

I purposely tried not to sound like myself out of paranoia that she would read this (although that would actually solve my problems). Anyway, I'm amused that everyone assumed I was male.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:33 pm

seersucker wrote:lolol

I purposely tried not to sound like myself out of paranoia that she would read this (although that would actually solve my problems). Anyway, I'm amused that everyone assumed I was male.
If you're not, I think they would give the same advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Smile, say you'll email them that night, never do it.

When she asks again, smile, say you'll email them soon, never do it.

Rinse and repeat as necessary. 3-4 times should do the trick.

seersucker

New

Post by seersucker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:
seersucker wrote:lolol

If you're not, I think they would give the same advice.
Yeah I guess I could still ask for sex.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 pm

I'd give my notes away, but i take so little(except for in my contracts clas)s and they are mostly cryptic that they could not help anyone

theskippa10

Bronze

Post by theskippa10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Oban wrote:I'd give my notes away, but i take so little(except for in my contracts clas)s and they are mostly cryptic that they could not help anyone
cool story bro

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:50 pm

good times, mang

new2game09

New

Post by new2game09 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 pm

sissyclark wrote:Just say: "You know what a beautiful animal is? A horse. Yeah, with a beautiful mane. Unbelievable muscle tone. When it runs it looks like poetry in motion. It's the most beautiful thing on earth. Sometimes when you feed a horse, its lips will tickle your hand...just tickle it just a little bit. It makes me giggle sometimes. (giggle for effect) I don't know.....I guess what I'm trying to say is.....if you ask for my notes again without actually having put in your own work......I'm gonna bite into your head like an apple. Thanks for listening to my horse story. I could talk about ponies all day long."
Lol, wherz this from? it sounds really familiar

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 pm

vamedic03 wrote:I freely share my notes with anyone I know and I'll send my outlines to anyone I know if they need them. Neither my notes nor my outlines hold any sort of secret power. The value of my notes is the process of taking them and generating a written record of the class. The value of the outline is the synthesis that occurred in making it.
I could not agree with you more. There is absolutely no reason to care about sharing information. My section has an outline and note bank just in case anyone needs something they missed...pretty sure we're unique in this though.

Miniver

Bronze

Post by Miniver » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:53 am

Last edited by Miniver on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:21 am

dood wrote:ok for serious: as someone who skips approx 1/3 of my classes, even my best friends will say, "dood, if u'r sick or something no problem; and i can give u a couple freebies, but im not taking notes for u just so u can sleep in 3 days outta the week"

and i respect that b/c its the truth.
Really? Random people have offered to send me their entire semester's worth of notes at various times this year......and my only excuse for missing classes is having a ton of callbacks + being really lazy in October (have missed about 60% of my classes).

What kind of gunner hellholes do you guys attend? Dang.

Edit: unless you're all 1Ls. I understand being pissy about notes as 1Ls.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 am

Tell her no and hope that you never need a favor from her.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:32 am

It is badass to share notes with anybody who asks. You get to think, "now you have all of my information and I will STILL do better than you."

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 am

KMaine wrote:It is badass to share notes with anybody who asks. You get to think, "now you have all of my information and I will STILL do better than you."
My friends and I share everything, but we're not complete assholes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:28 pm

Frankly I ask for notes/outlines from my friends all the time. I did not do this as a 1L, but as 3L evening student, I am just tired of this sh*t, it feels like the same thing over and over again. Moreover the knowledge is absolutely useless to my long-term career that I work on during the day. The best way to avoid these situations is to form a good relationship with other person. If they are polite to me when I am in need, I respond to their kindness by trying to be proactive in trying to help them out. When I locate good outlines from previous classes I pass it off to them or ask them if they are taking any class of which I have outlines for. Frankly the fact that one person does well out 40-90 people is not going to really affect you grade. Yes a few weirdos don't reciprocate the help the get but the vast majority of people will go out of there way to help you.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:52 pm

Coming from the other side: i'm too scared to ask for notes even though I have a legitimately good reason for missing a ton of classes. I just hate being "that guy", because a persons notes are a product of THEIR hard work and attendance, and it feels weird asking them to let you reap the benefit without having to share the effort.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:57 pm

booyakasha wrote: My friends and I share everything, but we're not complete assholes.
No kidding, I had no idea this was such an issue with people.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Every time I have shared something with someone, they have helped me by, say, fleshing out a weak element of my understanding or otherwise giving me something back. If she found one hole in your understanding, it would be worth it. Not sharing/swapping info is a great way to only know what you do now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”