How do you politely refuse to share notes?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
seersucker

How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby seersucker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:51 pm

I have no problem sending my notes to someone who was sick or missed class for any reason. But there's this girl who sits next to me in one class. She wanted me to send her all my notes for a certain subject. I did and now I have a feeling that she's going to ask for my notes in other classes as well.

I don't know if it's dickish for me to mind doing this...there's also the fact that she's one of the gunners, really annoying, and plays computer games/surfs the internet during class. How do you say no?

OGR3

Re: How do you politely refuse to share notes?

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:53 pm

"Were you in class?"

"Yes."

"Then take your own damn notes."

mala2

Postby mala2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 pm

In that case, I would either

1. (if you're chicken) take notes in really confusing short hand that only makes sense to you (bonus if you know a foreign language) and then gladly give her a copy, doubt she'll ask again
2. tell her you don't mind helping her out once in awhile if she's sick, but that not only is she cheating herself by not paying attention that you don't feel comfortable doing that all the time.

Some people are just users, and they'll use and use until you stop them

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 pm

OGR3 wrote:"Were you in class?"

"Yes."

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:59 pm

mala2 wrote:take notes in really confusing short hand that only makes sense to you (bonus if you know a foreign language) and then gladly give her a copy, doubt she'll ask again

TCR.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:04 am

plenipotentiary wrote:
mala2 wrote:take notes in really confusing short hand that only makes sense to you (bonus if you know a foreign language) and then gladly give her a copy, doubt she'll ask again

TCR.

TINCR. Way too much work for no appreciable help moving you up the curve.

Renzo wrote:
OGR3 wrote:"Were you in class?"

"Yes."

TCR.

seersucker

Postby seersucker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:11 am

haha
Last edited by seersucker on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:35 am

Dear "No"te thank you,

It sounds like you're suffering from what we in the business call getting "gunned down" hard. What you need to do in order to be above median secure is to send your little unwanted study buddy some bunk notes.

You might be saying, "but Gunner Friendly, this sounds time consuming and difficult!"

Well, let me assure you, it's not. You just have to change the few words that matter from your real notes. For instance, give her the Palsgraf brief with a holding that reads, "A defendant owes a duty of care only to those who are in the unreasonably unforeseeable zone of danger."

Your no-good-note-borrowing-nuisance will either become wise to your plans of sabotage and invite you in on the freeride freeway or have one hell of a time come finals. Either way, enjoy your upper percentile status.

Yours Truly,

Mr. Gunner Friendly

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:40 am

I think you should run your notes through Google Translator in a couple of different languages and then send them to her.

Here's an example using the above sentence:

English - Russian - French - Japanese - Swahili - Arabic - Norwegian - Icelandic - Latin - English

I'm with you running on the tongues of Google I think it were a description of the translator amet.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:42 am

plenipotentiary wrote:I think you should run your notes through Google Translator in a couple of different languages and then send them to her.

English - Russian - French - Japanese - Swahili - Arabic - Norwegian - Icelandic - Latin - English

I'm with you running on the tongues of Google I think it were a description of the translator amet.

Does "reverse translation" turn that back into the original sentence?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:42 am

patrickd139 wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:I think you should run your notes through Google Translator in a couple of different languages and then send them to her.

Do you mean if I went all the way back through the languages? I'm too lazy for that.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:04 am

plenipotentiary wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Do you mean if I went all the way back through the languages? I'm too lazy for that.

No, it won't.
When I run Google, and you, I love it I think that this description of the interpreter

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 am

Renzo wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

No, it won't.
When I run Google, and you, I love it I think that this description of the interpreter

A+

dood

Postby dood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:20 am

Last edited by dood on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 am

I actually outlined for a class last year and a good friend of mine asked if she could have my outline because she didn't feel like her outline was good enough. This was pretty much the most dick thing someone could ask someone - put me in a weird position of wanting to say no, but also being open to helping her.

So I just told her my outline sucked, but if she had specific questions, I would help her work out the issues. She didn't ask anything else after that. I think she was just lazy.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:39 am

Last edited by dood on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:44 am

Blindmelon wrote:I actually outlined for a class last year and a good friend of mine asked if she could have my outline because she didn't feel like her outline was good enough. This was pretty much the most dick thing someone could ask someone - put me in a weird position of wanting to say no, but also being open to helping her.

So I just told her my outline sucked, but if she had specific questions, I would help her work out the issues. She didn't ask anything else after that. I think she was just lazy.

I'll be fine giving people my outlines, since the main reason I'm making them is to help internalize as much as possible. I doubt my outlines will be of any great help to anyone.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:25 pm

naterj wrote:Dear "No"te thank you,

It sounds like you're suffering from what we in the business call getting "gunned down" hard. What you need to do in order to be above median secure is to send your little unwanted study buddy some bunk notes.

You might be saying, "but Gunner Friendly, this sounds time consuming and difficult!"

Well, let me assure you, it's not. You just have to change the few words that matter from your real notes. For instance, give her the Palsgraf brief with a holding that reads, "A defendant owes a duty of care only to those who are in the unreasonably unforeseeable zone of danger."

Your no-good-note-borrowing-nuisance will either become wise to your plans of sabotage and invite you in on the freeride freeway or have one hell of a time come finals. Either way, enjoy your upper percentile status.

Yours Truly,

Mr. Gunner Friendly

Guns up!

pew pew

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:50 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:I actually outlined for a class last year and a good friend of mine asked if she could have my outline because she didn't feel like her outline was good enough. This was pretty much the most dick thing someone could ask someone - put me in a weird position of wanting to say no, but also being open to helping her.

I'll be fine giving people my outlines, since the main reason I'm making them is to help internalize as much as possible. I doubt my outlines will be of any great help to anyone.

+1

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:52 pm

if she looks good you do it. then bam. if not then theres no need to withhold being rude and just telling her to take a hike.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:55 pm

How hard is it to say "I'm not comfortable with that"?

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:56 pm

"I don't take notes, actually."

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 pm

I know you are just venting/there have been some hilarious responses but in all seriousness, I would probably do this:
mala2: 2. tell her you don't mind helping her out once in awhile if she's sick (or something), but that not only is she cheating herself by not paying attention thatyou don't feel comfortable doing that all the time.

MisterChase

Postby MisterChase » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:48 pm

As a matter of policy, I avoid sharing my notes because I don't want to be responsible for someone getting a B- (or whatever). I intend to confine any possible damages of my own errors (however subtle or blatant they may be) to me, and ME ONLY. That's what I tell people, and they respect that.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm

I freely share my notes with anyone I know and I'll send my outlines to anyone I know if they need them. Neither my notes nor my outlines hold any sort of secret power. The value of my notes is the process of taking them and generating a written record of the class. The value of the outline is the synthesis that occurred in making it.

I agree that this girl sounds annoying, but, in the end, its better to make friends that enemies. When I missed classes at the beginning of the semester for callbacks, I had several people send me their notes unsolicited because I generated good will among classmates.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”