Tax law courses at Notre Dame

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FunkyJD

Tax law courses at Notre Dame

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 am

I'm an incoming ND student, and I'm considering tax law as a specialty. Looking specifically at Fed Tax Law, Tax of Business, and International Taxation. I'm curious to hear some general thoughts about these classes and the professors from anyone who has taken them, or is taking them at NDLS.

I do note that International Law is listed as a prereq for International Taxation. Looking at the curricula of some T-10 schools that excel at corporate law, this isn't the case for them. I raise this question because I've heard people from other schools carp about how useless they felt their Int'l Law class was. If you went down this path of taking Int'l Law and then Int'l Tax at ND, would you agree with the naysayers, in the sense that Int'l Law doesn't really need to be a prereq for Int'l Tax in your opinion -- or do you feel that ND has it set up about right? Reasons?

Obviously, if I want to take Int'l Tax, I'll have to take whatever prereqs are required of me. I'm just curious as to why people dislike their Int'l Law class, and am trying to understand why it's a prereq for Int'l Tax, instead of just, say, Fed Income Tax or Tax of Business.

I'd also like the hear thoughts about the law and accounting class at ND, and the law and accounting seminars. Helpful? Details of your experience with it?

Thanks.

nealric

Re: Tax law courses at Notre Dame

Postby nealric » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 am

I do note that International Law is listed as a prereq for International Taxation. Looking at the curricula of some T-10 schools that excel at corporate law, this isn't the case for them. I raise this question because I've heard people from other schools carp about how useless they felt their Int'l Law class was. If you went down this path of taking Int'l Law and then Int'l Tax at ND, would you agree with the naysayers, in the sense that Int'l Law doesn't really need to be a prereq for Int'l Tax in your opinion -- or do you feel that ND has it set up about right? Reasons?

I don't really understand why they would require international law for International Tax. International Tax is just US law that applies to US persons operating abroad or foreign persons in the US. Perhaps they are going to talk extensively about tax treaties, but I can't fathom why you would need any training in international law to do that.

FunkyJD

Re: Tax law courses at Notre Dame

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm worried about having to essentially take 6 credits if I want to take an international tax class (int'l law + int'l tax), and how that would squeeze out another elective I might want to take. We'll see, I've got time. I was just curious as to what their rationale for that sequencing might be.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”