Weird patent bar "accomodation" needed

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
omnomnom

Weird patent bar "accomodation" needed

Postby omnomnom » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:59 pm

I am thinking about taking the patent bar in the near future. (I meet all the USPTO qualifications; it's just a matter of 1L winter break vs 1L/2L summer, leaning towards winter break).

A few years ago, I taught myself to use the Dvorak keyboard layout. I use a normal QWERTY keyboard, but set the layout on the computer (so for example, if you type the letter 'F' on my keyboard, the letter 'U' comes on the screen). Call me a nerd/idiot/dork. Whatever, I'm not going to sit here and argue.

PROBLEM: Prometric says they won't change the keyboard layout, unless the USPTO approves it. I haven't been able to get through to anyone at the USPTO yet. I have strong doubts about whether this will work out. I have tried switching back to QWERTY, but it's just not working. I figure you need to do a full immersion, and as a first semester 1L I don't think I can afford dropping from 90 wpm to 20 wpm.

There must be someone out there in the same situation, based on the type of people that take the patent bar. Has anyone been in a similar situation with trying to set up a weird accommodation with the USPTO?

rupert.pupkin

Re: Weird patent bar "accomodation" needed

Postby rupert.pupkin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:39 pm

The patent bar is multiple choice, so who really cares?

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:24 pm

rupert.pupkin wrote:The patent bar is multiple choice, so who really cares?

My thoughts exactly.

I don't recall typing anything whatsoever - you even hand in a pre-printed admissions sheet.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:04 pm

There is some typing when you're searching through the MPEP using the adobe find feature. Other than that, there's no typing.

I don't think your accommodation would be granted because it's widely known that prometric uses outdated software and hardware. The version of adobe reader is ancient, and the monitor resolution is so small that you can't have both the question and MPEP side-by-side as you can with a widescreen monitor.

omnomnom

Postby omnomnom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Right, I knew it was multiple choice. My main concern was this:
Black-Blue wrote:There is some typing when you're searching through the MPEP using the adobe find feature. Other than that, there's no typing.

How much did you guys look up?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”