Law Review Comment Help

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DwightSchruteFarms

Law Review Comment Help

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi,

I am currently in the process of trying to select a LR Comment topic, preferably geared towards Sports and Entertainment Law. I am a huge Football and Soccer fan, yet I am having problems coming up with a decent topic. Any ideas? They don't have to be jsut about the NFL or EPL, I wouldn't mind looking into MLB or NBA issues as well

DwightSchruteFarms

Re: Law Review Comment Help

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:58 pm

How about whether the English Premier League should adopt a salary cap system, how such a system would influence bigger clubs vs. smaller clubs (with less expenditures), and what the best way to implement such a system would be? Or is that not "legal" enough for an LR Comment?

king3780

Postby king3780 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:07 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:How about whether the English Premier League should adopt a salary cap system, how such a system would influence bigger clubs vs. smaller clubs (with less expenditures), and what the best way to implement such a system would be? Or is that not "legal" enough for an LR Comment?

I think that would be a pretty interesting topic. You could compare the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL models and analyze why/how they do what they do and whether that could translate to the EPL. I'm sure there's a host of legal issues... antitrust comes to mind. I don't know if that's legit for an LR Comment... I would run the idea past whoever makes those decisions (editor in chief? managing editor?)

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Ya, although it would be wonderful to get published, I think writing a Comment on something I really like is more important. Your ideas are great btw, thank you! What does everybody else think?

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:23 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:How about whether the English Premier League should adopt a salary cap system, how such a system would influence bigger clubs vs. smaller clubs (with less expenditures), and what the best way to implement such a system would be? Or is that not "legal" enough for an LR Comment?

After a quick search on Westlaw, I found 15 law review articles discussing some aspect of salary caps and the English Premier League. The question is not whether the topic is legal enough: it's whether the topic has already been preempted.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Ya, I found that too. Dammit. I think I can try and utilize a different implementation for their salary-pay structure. This would be a good place to use my MBA skills. I guess I would try and look into the salary caps and payment structures of, lets say, the NFL and the NBA, and see if there is a way to have the EPL follow suit?? Not sure, but I think it has some potential as a topic.

I also have no Antitrust background or Labor law background, which may make things harder, but then again, LR isn't supposed to be easy.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:40 pm

American Needle

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:11 am

seespotrun wrote:American Needle

That ship sailed long ago: there are already 100 law review articles discussing American Needle up on Westlaw. Pretty much everything that can be said about that case has already been said.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:35 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote: Alternatively, you could write a piece comparing the various standards of review from baseball, football, hockey, and other sports that utilize review. What do the standards say about the priorities and the role of "law" in sport. Do any sports use three-referee panels akin to our courts of appeals? Are NFL refs more like district judges or some other legal actor? There's a lot of room for discussion there. All I ask is a little love in your * footnote if you use the idea.

6 Va. Sports & Ent. L.J. 277 offers an interesting spin somewhat related to this idea: essentially, the article proposes the adoption of something akin to corporate law's business judgment rule to shield officials from liability for blown calls. Review is an interesting issue in sports law, and, as G. T. L. Rev. points out, there is lots of room for discussion.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:28 pm

So I am trying to spin a Comment on NFL helmet-to-helmet contact and the league's new stance, but I ran the topic by my Editor-in-Chief and I am having trouble putting a legal spin on it. I feel like any tort action that could be brougt can be settled by the league's CBA with the player's union. ANy suggestions?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:45 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:So I am trying to spin a Comment on NFL helmet-to-helmet contact and the league's new stance, but I ran the topic by my Editor-in-Chief and I am having trouble putting a legal spin on it. I feel like any tort action that could be brougt can be settled by the league's CBA with the player's union. ANy suggestions?

Perhaps you could look at industry standards regarding helmets (I don't think they've changed since the 1970's) and the products liability implications.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”