1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:26 pm

gwuorbust wrote:plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

ask for a hug is always a credited alternative
Last edited by beach_terror on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

killself is always a credited alternative

Let's try not to go there, please.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

killself is always a credited alternative

Let's try not to go there, please.


you don't want TLS and the 'mods responsible for this tragedy' to end all over ABC, NBC, google.news, etc ?

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:56 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

killself is always a credited alternative

Let's try not to go there, please.


you don't want TLS and the 'mods responsible for this tragedy' to end all over ABC, NBC, google.news, etc Above the Law ?


No one else cares about lawyers.

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby SmittenMitten » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Just got done with failing Civil Procedure.

Do you think I might be able to get a job at Cheesecake Factory?

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby uwb09 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:12 pm

random question, do you turn in your outline with your test?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dailygrind » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:12 pm

uwb09 wrote:random question, do you turn in your outline with your test?


uh...

not where i am...

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:15 pm

uwb09 wrote:random question, do you turn in your outline with your test?

You mean if you had an open book test?

I don't know of anyone that does that.

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby SmittenMitten » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:17 pm

uwb09 wrote:random question, do you turn in your outline with your test?


I've never heard of that...

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:18 pm

gwuorbust wrote:plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

I thought you were Skaddensecure?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

killself is always a credited alternative

I've determined that carbon monoxide poisoning is the way to do it.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

I thought you were Skaddensecure?

179

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

killself is always a credited alternative

I've determined that carbon monoxide poisoning is the way to do it.


Should I take a little nap in the kitchen with all four gas stoves running? or study for torts? decisions, decisions.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dakatz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:05 pm

T minus 18 hours until my 1st exam, and I still don't know how to feel. I mean, though all the practice tests, I always hit the points of analysis I want to make (though not always quite as organized as I would like). Yet I almost always have different factual interpretations than others which lead to wildly varying conclusions. I feel like I know quite a bit and have a solid grasp of everything. I also feel like I know no more than anybody else so that no matter what I write, it can't possibly be anything to push me ahead of the curve. Thats the most disheartening part of it all.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby apper123 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:41 pm

im pretty sure i just failed my con law II exam (which is probably like a B on the ridiculous curve here)

i mean con law... i never know what im writing. i remember con law I... i was just straight up making shit up the whole time. i did the same thing today. maybe that's waht im supposed to be doing? it worked out in con law I..

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Weird question, maybe: I was talking to a 2L the other day that was telling me about how she just had fun on her Civ Pro exam and made a bunch of puns on it. I was curious- has/does anyone else write in puns on their exam?

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:55 pm

BriaTharen wrote:Weird question, maybe: I was talking to a 2L the other day that was telling me about how she just had fun on her Civ Pro exam and made a bunch of puns on it. I was curious- has/does anyone else write in puns on their exam?

I was thinking of roasting my professor as I go. No good?

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 pm

mths wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:Weird question, maybe: I was talking to a 2L the other day that was telling me about how she just had fun on her Civ Pro exam and made a bunch of puns on it. I was curious- has/does anyone else write in puns on their exam?

I was thinking of roasting my professor as I go. No good?

:lol:

I know someone who wrote their final in French because the professor was from France

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:07 pm

BriaTharen wrote:Weird question, maybe: I was talking to a 2L the other day that was telling me about how she just had fun on her Civ Pro exam and made a bunch of puns on it. I was curious- has/does anyone else write in puns on their exam?


My Civ Pro prof told us a story about a girl who got an A+ who organized her paragraphs with song titles from a musical the professors daugther was in.

He said he thought it was cute, but warned, if she didn't absolutely nail the analysis it wouldn't have been so cute and he would have been harsh.

Wasting time trying to be cute is a horrific idea.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:Weird question, maybe: I was talking to a 2L the other day that was telling me about how she just had fun on her Civ Pro exam and made a bunch of puns on it. I was curious- has/does anyone else write in puns on their exam?


My Civ Pro prof told us a story about a girl who got an A+ who organized her paragraphs with song titles from a musical the professors daugther was in.

He said he thought it was cute, but warned, if she didn't absolutely nail the analysis it wouldn't have been so cute and he would have been harsh.

Wasting time trying to be cute is a horrific idea.

That sounds vomit inducing.

Certain professors do also hate it when people try to be cute. My Ks professor spent about 5 mins in class one day telling us how much he hated judges that tried to write "cute" opinions-- like a textile case where the judge said things like "the common thread running through," "unruffled," etc. I wouldn't dare pull puns or anything on his exam.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:15 pm

BriaTharen wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:Weird question, maybe: I was talking to a 2L the other day that was telling me about how she just had fun on her Civ Pro exam and made a bunch of puns on it. I was curious- has/does anyone else write in puns on their exam?


My Civ Pro prof told us a story about a girl who got an A+ who organized her paragraphs with song titles from a musical the professors daugther was in.

He said he thought it was cute, but warned, if she didn't absolutely nail the analysis it wouldn't have been so cute and he would have been harsh.

Wasting time trying to be cute is a horrific idea.

That sounds vomit inducing.

Certain professors do also hate it when people try to be cute. My Ks professor spent about 5 mins in class one day telling us how much he hated judges that tried to write "cute" opinions-- like a textile case where the judge said things like "the common thread running through," "unruffled," etc. I wouldn't dare pull puns or anything on his exam.

I think Scalia's opinions are cute.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:21 pm

mths wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:Weird question, maybe: I was talking to a 2L the other day that was telling me about how she just had fun on her Civ Pro exam and made a bunch of puns on it. I was curious- has/does anyone else write in puns on their exam?


My Civ Pro prof told us a story about a girl who got an A+ who organized her paragraphs with song titles from a musical the professors daugther was in.

He said he thought it was cute, but warned, if she didn't absolutely nail the analysis it wouldn't have been so cute and he would have been harsh.

Wasting time trying to be cute is a horrific idea.

That sounds vomit inducing.

Certain professors do also hate it when people try to be cute. My Ks professor spent about 5 mins in class one day telling us how much he hated judges that tried to write "cute" opinions-- like a textile case where the judge said things like "the common thread running through," "unruffled," etc. I wouldn't dare pull puns or anything on his exam.

I think Scalia's opinions are cute.


I prefer his dissents where he mocks the majority

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:25 pm

BriaTharen wrote:I prefer his dissents where he mocks the majority

That's what I meant by opinions. Scalia only writes dissents...unless SCOTUS is trying to take rights away, then he's all over that shit.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby uwb09 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Quick 1331 Diversity Question

Let's say plaintiffs are: CA and WA

Defendants are: CA, TX, and JAPAN

does this fall under 1331(a)(3), allowing federal diversity for the case?

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby mths » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:32 pm

uwb09 wrote:Quick 1331 Diversity Question

Let's say plaintiffs are: CA and WA

Defendants are: CA, TX, and JAPAN

does this fall under 1331(a)(3), allowing federal diversity for the case?

Isn't it 1332? And every plaintiff has to be from a different state than every defendant.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests