1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Helmholtz

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:09 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
denimchickn wrote:I was already sitting here with a few butterflies in my stomach because I have NO idea how I'm gonna retain all of this Civ Pro enough to do well on the final in a week. Now I'm just downright queasy because I read the last few posts on this thread. Anyone who intentionally misleads a classmate about the requirements of an exam, or even actively hopes that others will do poorly, is nothing short of reprehensible in my book.

I get that, by definition, in order to end up on the right side of the curve, there have to be people who end up on the wrong side, but seriously people, just do your work and hope for the best for yourself. I'm so glad that sort of attitude seems to be non-existent at my school. I'd be outta here in a heartbeat. That's the type of attitude, when harbored later down the line, that makes people hate lawyers. Sickening.

Watch out for that Helmholtz, he does what he needs to do to finish at the top.

I most certainly will choke a bitch to be lawreview secure.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 pm

I would like to quickly disclaim that my comment about the pin cites was a joke, in case anybody couldn't tell. My classmates (and yes, even me) have gone out of their way to help others with understanding the law, etc.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Took an exam today. Ha!

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Does anyone else find themselves making virtually no counter-arguments on Civ Pro exams?

I mean, when the question is "Is X able to file his claim against Y, who is his co-defendant? How?" there really isn't a whole lot to counter with

If a 1331 issue comes up, I might make something up like "defendant could argue that they have some kind of federal defense to raise, which should allow federal question removal, however Caterpillar ruled that unless a defense is so federal that is pre-empts the state law claim, not gonna cut it." But even that feels forced

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:52 pm

uwb09 wrote:Does anyone else find themselves making virtually no counter-arguments on Civ Pro exams?

I mean, when the question is "Is X able to file his claim against Y, who is his co-defendant? How?" there really isn't a whole lot to counter with

If a 1331 issue comes up, I might make something up like "defendant could argue that they have some kind of federal defense to raise, which should allow federal question removal, however Caterpillar ruled that unless a defense is so federal that is pre-empts the state law claim, not gonna cut it." But even that feels forced

I feel ya, the arguments in CivPro do seem relatively one-sided; however, my Crim hypo included a lady walking into a store and ordering the employee into a back room where she forced him at gunpoint to give her oral sex...

mths

Postby mths » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
uwb09 wrote:Does anyone else find themselves making virtually no counter-arguments on Civ Pro exams?

I feel ya, the arguments in CivPro do seem relatively one-sided; however, my Crim hypo included a lady walking into a store and ordering the employee into a back room where she forced him at gunpoint to give her oral sex...

Do you sometimes feel like professors are trying too hard?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 pm

GATORTIM wrote:a lady walking into a store and ordering the employee into a back room where she forced him at gunpoint to give her oral sex...

I specifically remember reading something like that in the news at some point in the past couple months.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:04 pm

I've been getting much better at arguing from the parties' perspectives, rather than just sharing my own thoughts. This allows me to create much interplay between the parties. Of course there are certain points that are supposed to be clear-cut but there is always room to break apart the facts, especially when they are a bit ambiguous. My class was big on class actions. So while a class might seem like its uniform, all it takes is the slightest variation and I can make a ton of arguments from the perspective of the parties regarding adequacy of representation, commonality of factual questions, etc. Always think from the perspective of the parties.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:22 am

Charles Barkley wrote:I didn't intentionally mislead anyone. I wasn't even ASKED the question. I just overheard the question being asked to someone else. I'm sure the person she asked set her straight.

Had I been asked, I would've helped her out. I still think that it is a distinction she should've known by now, but that's just me.

I'm the same way. I don't like to get involved too much because people really will start to lean on you. One guy in my class who is brilliant, and has gone out of his way to help people like answer questions he overhears, now as people calling him constantly to ask questions when he isn't at the library to answer them personally. I'm all for helping people who ask, but sometimes it is an okay thing to not be the class reference guy.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:26 am

BriaTharen wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:I didn't intentionally mislead anyone. I wasn't even ASKED the question. I just overheard the question being asked to someone else. I'm sure the person she asked set her straight.

Had I been asked, I would've helped her out. I still think that it is a distinction she should've known by now, but that's just me.

I'm the same way. I don't like to get involved too much because people really will start to lean on you. One guy in my class who is brilliant, and has gone out of his way to help people like answer questions he overhears, now as people calling him constantly to ask questions when he isn't at the library to answer them personally. I'm all for helping people who ask, but sometimes it is an okay thing to not be the class reference guy.

Trying to explain things to other people really helps your own understanding.

And if your buddy is truly clueless, they aren't going to beat you no matter what. Might as well give them a hand.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:

Trying to explain things to other people really helps your own understanding.

And if your buddy is truly clueless, they aren't going to beat you no matter what. Might as well give them a hand.

First sentence is very credited. I'm not worried so much about other people beating me because I help them with a question (I spent a good while the night before the Ks exam explaining 2-207 to a guy that didn't get it), it can just get annoying when you are trying to study and you keep getting interrupted with questions.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:27 am

so...for those of you that haven't done this, I'm finding pre-writing answers for civ pro to be really helpful in memorizing my outline...the double benefit is that at least half of each paragraph will be well written, and 2, I am learning the material. highly recommended. will report back with grade in january. ha

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:17 am

Could totally go for some pre-finals sex right about now.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:06 am

onthecusp wrote:Could totally go for some pre-finals sex right about now.

--ImageRemoved--

mths

Postby mths » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:08 am

bostonian wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Image edit

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:23 am

mths wrote:
bostonian wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Image edit

I watched Office Space earlier today!

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:08 am

I'm glad my hardest exam was during the first half of exams; I've had a roller coaster of emotions over Contracts all day (Did I need to spot that issue? Did I state rules correctly, etc), but now I can keep my mind occupied on something else (like Torts!). Never thought I'd be so happy for Torts. :o

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 am

Attempt to avoid TLS for the rest of exam period = epic fail. Oh well.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:26 am

wow im so useless today. fail.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Now that I've successfully finished one exam, I'm finding it much harder than usual to re-focus for the other two. It feels like everything should be over by now...but it's definitely not.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Now that I've successfully finished one exam, I'm finding it much harder than usual to re-focus for the other two. It feels like everything should be over by now...but it's definitely not.

I've run into the same problem... after 10 hours and 12,000+ words worth of exam writing, still have two exams to go. :?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:22 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Now that I've successfully finished one exam, I'm finding it much harder than usual to re-focus for the other two. It feels like everything should be over by now...but it's definitely not.

I've run into the same problem... after 10 hours and 12,000+ words worth of exam writing, still have two exams to go. :?

Have finished 3 exams, have 2 more to go. And the most information heavy one is the last one on Friday. Kill me.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:27 pm

outlining civ pro. i think i'd rather have sex with a cactus.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:52 pm

dailygrind wrote:outlining civ pro. i think i'd rather have sex with a cactus.

My CivPro outline was the most wretched process I've experienced thus far . . . I think.

2 Hour nap, then 11 hours of "grind" time.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 pm

plz, someone motivate me to work on Civ Pro. I don't want to end up in shitlaw!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”