1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Charles Barkley

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Charles Barkley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:32 pm

I overheard a girl asking what is the difference between but-for, actual, and cause in fact. I smiled a little. Torts final is tomorrow.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:I overheard a girl asking what is the difference between but-for, actual, and cause in fact. I smiled a little. Torts final is tomorrow.

You seem like the kind of classmate I wanna have....

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Can't wait for my discretionary C in civ pro. And I am not even pretending to work on crim right now. la la la

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:39 pm

mths wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:I overheard a girl asking what is the difference between but-for, actual, and cause in fact. I smiled a little. Torts final is tomorrow.

This girl was likely serious.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Agreed. I think most of the A papers tend to fall in the 6000-7000 word zone.

In a four hour exam!? :shock:

Three and a half hours. Last A exam I looked at that she made available was 6100 words.

Hope this works out for me. I wrote 7200 words on my four hour Torts exam today :shock:

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:
mths wrote:

Yeah, that's what mths was talking about.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:
mths wrote:

Point

---------------------

Head

Help the girl out, prick.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:
dailygrind wrote:when i walked out of the exam i felt pretty confident. i just opened up the copy of the exam i wrote, and upon reread it's not really that good. shit.

Why in God's name are you looking at it?! I don't understand why you would want to torture yourself like that

stupidity. pure unadulterated stupidity. got a little more juice flowing through my veins, now though. time to get started on civ pro.

I can't stop thinking about all of the issues that I missed, but I still refuse to open that sucker up.

only a handful of things are keeping me from seppuku

1) actually hitting all of the issues and hitting them well is extremely difficult and unnecessary for a decent grade
2) most people's tests must have looked pretty bad - 3 hours to pump out 10+ pages doesn't lend itself to good writing.
3) i don't trust anybody here to do a good job as a second, and i don't want to be running around with my guts spilling all over the place and my second lopping off my fingers or something.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 pm

gwuorbust wrote:3800 word crim law final. but I think I went past the word limit on all my sections. gunna be a really tight curve cause the material was really easy. . . which is what really scares me.

The insanity that is these exams is just starting to dawn on me. From here on out, 6 4-hour exams in the next 6 months are going to determine whether I get one of the best paying jobs out there right now, or if I am going to be a debt-slave for at least the next 25 years.

And the main thing that separates the As from the Bs is going to be typing speed. This material just isn't hard enough to make people marginally understand it. This is what I get for going to a school with near T14 medians, but T30 job prospects.

FML.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:56 pm

3:45 minute civ pro exam, 6300 words, done. I am now actively forgetting everything to make room for torts. Good thing we won't need to know anything we learned in civ pro in the real world . . .
Last edited by skoobily doobily on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 pm

mths wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:
mths wrote:You seem like the kind of classmate I wanna have....

Point

---------------------

Head

Helping out classmates is 1L-grade-curve blasphemy.

I spent a good fifteen minutes today convincing a couple other 1Ls that the professor expects full bluebook case citations along with pin cites on the exam.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 pm

JCougar wrote:And the main thing that separates the As from the Bs is going to be typing speed. This material just isn't hard enough to make people marginally understand it.

I feel like your professor could easily make a hypo that would humble the shit out of you.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:
JCougar wrote:And the main thing that separates the As from the Bs is going to be typing speed. This material just isn't hard enough to make people marginally understand it.

I feel like your professor could easily make a hypo that would humble the shit out of you.

I hope so. I'm about to take a practice test in about 30 minutes.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:00 pm

She had all semester to figure out the difference (or lack there of) between the types of causation.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
mths wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:This girl was likely serious.

Point

---------------------

Head

Helping out classmates is 1L-grade-curve blasphemy.

I spent a good fifteen minutes today convincing a couple other 1Ls that the professor expects full bluebook case citations along with pin cites on the exam.

oh that's turrible

mths

Postby mths » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:She had all semester to figure out the difference (or lack there of) between the types of causation.

I'm SO glad my school is not even REMOTELY like that.

Thank fucking god.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:01 pm

I see what you did there, DH2O.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:15 pm

mths wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:She had all semester to figure out the difference (or lack there of) between the types of causation.

Thank fucking god.

Agreed. Everyone here is awesome, and if one of my classmates is saying they're having problems with outlining or something, I ask if they want whatever I have that might help.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
mths wrote:

Thank fucking god.

Agreed. Everyone here is awesome, and if one of my classmates is saying they're having problems with outlining or something, I ask if they want whatever I have that might help.

Absolutely the same here. I heard horror stories about law students before coming to LS but I've never actually come into contact with anyone like that.

denimchickn

Postby denimchickn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:20 pm

I was already sitting here with a few butterflies in my stomach because I have NO idea how I'm gonna retain all of this Civ Pro enough to do well on the final in a week. Now I'm just downright queasy because I read the last few posts on this thread. Anyone who intentionally misleads a classmate about the requirements of an exam, or even actively hopes that others will do poorly, is nothing short of reprehensible in my book.

I get that, by definition, in order to end up on the right side of the curve, there have to be people who end up on the wrong side, but seriously people, just do your work and hope for the best for yourself. I'm so glad that sort of attitude seems to be non-existent at my school. I'd be outta here in a heartbeat. That's the type of attitude, when harbored later down the line, that makes people hate lawyers. Sickening.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:32 pm

I didn't intentionally mislead anyone. I wasn't even ASKED the question. I just overheard the question being asked to someone else. I'm sure the person she asked set her straight.

Had I been asked, I would've helped her out. I still think that it is a distinction she should've known by now, but that's just me.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:32 pm

denimchickn wrote:Anyone who intentionally misleads a classmate about the requirements of an exam, or even actively hopes that others will do poorly, is nothing short of reprehensible in my book.

It's pretty much one of the issues with curved grading, especially when considering that the people who are in Law School are usually hyper-competitive as it is and especially when considering that "1L = All that matters" has an entirely new meaning when considering how big of a rut the legal market is in. All you can really do is just do what you believe in and don't go any less or more than that.

And now pertaining to something concerning studying...

Okay, I just made the finishing touches on this monster 65 page property outline (in comparison, contracts was 40, exactly half with brief summaries of the cases of the entire case-book since the prof wants to test us on who sued who, for some reason, and Torts was like 35, including the crappy first 1/3rd of the outline from when I tried doing it in the middle of October where it contained some pretty minute nuances from individual cases that took up space). My property outline has definitely taken the longest, as I've been working on it since Thanksgiving break compared to the other two outlines that really only took two/three days to complete.

For the actual exam, it'll be five questions, 300 word limit, 3 hours, and open everything (outlines, notes, casebook, and emailed material). He pretty much does want us to cite cases.

Now my actual concern is the fact that I have roughly over 50+ hours until this examination. When it comes to studying, do people include time-spent outlining as part of studying or is the real meat of studying simply memorizing the outline? (Especially since I'm just now starting to "memorize" it, despite how it's open everything and especially despite the fact that I've been thinking (and dreaming) about this crap since Thanksgiving).

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:34 pm

denimchickn wrote:I was already sitting here with a few butterflies in my stomach because I have NO idea how I'm gonna retain all of this Civ Pro enough to do well on the final in a week. Now I'm just downright queasy because I read the last few posts on this thread. Anyone who intentionally misleads a classmate about the requirements of an exam, or even actively hopes that others will do poorly, is nothing short of reprehensible in my book.

I get that, by definition, in order to end up on the right side of the curve, there have to be people who end up on the wrong side, but seriously people, just do your work and hope for the best for yourself. I'm so glad that sort of attitude seems to be non-existent at my school. I'd be outta here in a heartbeat. That's the type of attitude, when harbored later down the line, that makes people hate lawyers. Sickening.

Watch out for that Helmholtz, he does what he needs to do to finish at the top.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:36 pm

Random tip based on a post I saw:

Don't reread your exam after you submit it. Just don't. Then you'll become obsessive, read it 14 more times, have a few meltdowns, compare it to your outline, come post on here how you missed a major issue on 1 exam and will now die penniless, etc..

Just don't. Go study for your other exams then enjoy the holidays.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:39 pm

apper123 wrote:Random tip based on a post I saw:

Don't reread your exam after you submit it. Just don't. Then you'll become obsessive, read it 14 more times, have a few meltdowns, compare it to your outline, come post on here how you missed a major issue on 1 exam and will now die penniless, etc..

Just don't. Go study for your other exams then enjoy the holidays.

i'm not gonna stress myself out over it. i just wanted a reality check, and i wanted something to motivate me to get on top of my next class. thinking that i did poorly on my last test certainly does that.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”